PDA

View Full Version : Light scratches after wet sand.

Agent Phonar
08-11-2003, 08:46 AM
A friend of mine who isnt a body shop guy agreed to paint a car for someone. It was his first one and he had a few runs in the clear. He doesnt buff so he asked if I would help. Here is my problem. You can tell from the picture but there are very fine scratches in the paint. When it was wet sanded I think they used 1000-1500 but this is the first one I ever buffed after a wet sand. I tried getting away with AutoMagic GS-1 and a meduim cut foam. After that I went a little heavier with some AutoMagic XP Compound and the foam. They still didnt come out. I then tried the XP Compound with a white wool, followed by the GS-1 and the same pad. Then I tried going over it again with the GS-1 and the medium pad followed by AutoMagic BC-2 and a finishing pad. The scratches are hard to see even under flourescent lighting but I just cant believe they didnt come out. Any info u guys could give would b great cause i`m lost:confused:

PS-i normally wouldnt go that many steps but they said if i went through to the metal they would just paint it again.

Godfather
08-11-2003, 10:03 AM
Try 3M`s rubbing compound for scratches/swirls..that removed some pretty hefty scratches from my paint and i did it by hand..good luck

Poorboy
08-11-2003, 12:47 PM
First you should have wet sanded again with 2000 or 2500 to reduce the deeper scratches.....initially a wool pad would be your first pad....were you using a rotary or pc? ....pc will not cut it ...no enough heat generated...then go to foam for finishing....

I can recommend products, but I think you probably have enough of your own...;)

Beemerboy
08-11-2003, 01:17 PM
I use the 3M compound and it works like a charm. Poorboys is right you need a rotary and a wool cutting pad. I`d work the speed at 1200 RPM`s being carefull about the pressure you are putting on the pad. After the compound I`d look at polishing with a cutting pad on a PC or by hand if that`s what you have.

Agent Phonar
08-11-2003, 02:49 PM
I used a Dewalt 849. I compounded it @ around 1400rpm on one side and tried 1800rpm on the other side. Same results on both sides. Like I said I wasnt involved with the wet sanding part so I`m just guessing at what they used. I just wanted it to be perfect and its not in my eyes. Thanks for the advice/tips.:)

Poorboy
08-11-2003, 04:46 PM
I have another question;)

is the car clear coated or one stage or enamel or other...

if it`s clearcoated ..you may have done all you can...the fine scratches may be under the clear..if it`s not they should eventually come out or you`ll remove the paint ...which ever comes first..lol

Agent Phonar
08-11-2003, 06:54 PM
I`m think your right about the scratches being under the clear. It was a clearcoat finish and I had the chance to talk to a guy who has been detailing for quite a few years and he is telling me the same thing you are. If they were in the clear i would expected them to atleast get a little lighter with the compound but nothing.
Like I said the dude that painted it said that if i messed up he would just repaint but I wasnt going to have him go through all that. The minor scratches will just have to stay.:(

Poorboy
08-11-2003, 07:19 PM
Don`t be sad the finish looked good and was probably real smooth too...

I`ve seen those kinds of imperfections on new Beemers and Ferrari`s too....people are human and humans fix the machines:rolleyes:

Tassadar
08-11-2003, 07:22 PM
You can always hide them :D

Agent Phonar
08-11-2003, 07:57 PM
You guys are right. The car looks mint outside its just under the lights if you get real close you can see them. No one else noticed them but me. I did all I could do. Thanks for the encouragement!!!!!!!!:D
:)

Poorboy
08-11-2003, 08:20 PM
I agree:D

Tassadar
08-11-2003, 08:52 PM
You did your best, and everyone except yourself is happy. Sounds perfectly human to me, you did your best, and your best just happened to be damned good.

Nice job.

Agent Phonar
08-12-2003, 06:04 AM
I`ll have to post some pics when they are done painting the trim and putting the side moldings back on.

Ferrarislave
08-12-2003, 11:52 PM
Yes that does look pretty good compared to the left side. Nice work I think thats a very good job for a finish like that post the full completed pics.