PDA

View Full Version : A few newb questions

0311_Lifer
07-12-2006, 06:05 PM
Hey guys I havnt been on this forum in a very very long time and now that I have some time I would like to get back to properly maintaining my car`s body. I drive an 04 crown vic that is dark red and it is a swirl magnet. It seems as though Ford must have the softest paint on the market or I have been using the worst techniques and products on the market. My procedure is usually:
Wash (meguires gold)
Claybar (if necessary)
Polish (meguires over the counter)
Wax (generally mothers california carnauba wax)

All of this is usually hand applied using clean applicator pads every time and also clean microfiber cloths. Right now I dry using a California Water Blade and am pretty comfortable with that. After visiting these forums again I am beginning to wonder if Poorboys products would be a better and more cost effective solution for my bi-monthly detailing. I have read that Natty`s Blue wax is very easy on-off and that most of their products are generally very easy to work with and fool proof. I have gotten positive results in the past with the procedure I have mentioned above but am wondering if the following procedure will be a better solution for someone looking for a deeper, longer lasting, wetter look ?? (also easier application and removal of wax) Long story short I was wondering if any one on here has done any thing like the following by hand on a dark colored car:

Wash (Poorboy`s Super Slick & Suds applied with foam gun)
Claybar (when necessary?)
Polish (Poorboy`s professional polish or poorboys polish with carnauba)
Sealant (poorboys EX or EX-P ?)
Wax (Natty`s Blue)

That stuff has all gotten pretty good reviews but my main question is for someone who is just looking for a long lasting wet look which products should I use and I am open to others than the ones I`ve listed. Also will the EX-P and Natty`s Blue play nice ? Thanks.

budman3
07-12-2006, 08:39 PM
You may already know this but proper polishing steps will make the best improvement to the final outcome of the vehicle no matter what wax or sealant you use. So first make sure that your swirls and other defects are taken care of and then move on to the other stuff. A polisher might be necessary but you can try polishes by hand. As for the Poorboys EX and EX-p, EX has carnauba wax which may work better with dark colors whereas EX-P is best on light, metallic paints. But either one is a great choice no matter the color. Natty`s blue is awesome, just make sure you apply it after the 24 hour cure time of the sealant. Hope this helps.

0311_Lifer
07-13-2006, 12:25 AM
Thank you for your quick response and helpful advice. I agree that preparation of the paint is key because if I were to apply a good wax on a dirty car it would be useless. I am going to go ahead and order all my supplies this week. I decided do all this by hand for now because I have seen what a high speed buffer did to my car in the hands of a professional and the results did not impress me as much as what I have done with the car in the past using the process I described in my first post. For some reason the Ford paint clearcoat is extremely soft and will swirl up no matter how careful you are even shortly after a proper detail.

cwcad
07-13-2006, 08:03 AM
I agree that I high speed buffer can be problematic. In the wrong hands it can be a detriment. Yet, in the experienced hand it can take it to a higher level.

With that said have you considered using a PC? The learning curve is quick and easy. It will show dramatic differences compared to hand application. No matter which product that you choose.

All of the products that you have mentioned will help maintain your vehicle. The Poorboy`s line of products will give ease of use and great protection for your bi-monthly regimem.

Jen@autogeek
07-18-2006, 08:21 AM
I agree with cwcad. The PC can work wonders if you work with it and it is very safe. The only way you can hurt the paint with a PC is if you threw it at it. :) If you have swirls, I would start there with some 2.5 and 1.0. Always use the least abrasive combination to get the job done. Ex-P is beautiful and topped with Natty`s blue after the 24hours cure time, is sheer bliss. Here is a link to PC video demonstrations I think you will enjoy.
http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/video/

Hope this inspires you. It sure inspires me. :)