PDA

View Full Version : Storing Waxes, Sealants. and Cleaners in Cold Weather....??

Crow Horse
11-08-2018, 07:28 AM
I currently store all my cleaning and detailing supplies in an unheated shed. Being that they represent a fair amount of loot, I don`t want them to be ruined by freeze/thaw cycles. Should I bring them inside to a heated environment? Winter`s around here can go well below zero at times....

audicoupej
11-08-2018, 08:28 AM
I always bring everything inside. I don`t like leaving them in my garage during really hot weather either. As you said, the products can be expensive, why take a chance?

rlmccarty2000
11-08-2018, 05:48 PM
I’ve been leaving most of my stuff in my unheated garage for years now with no ill effects. Where I live the temperature does not stay in the freezing range for long so I’ve been safe so far. I do keep all waxes, coatings, and high dollar sprays inside just in case.

Ronkh
11-08-2018, 07:58 PM
Im the past, I would say, send em to me for safe keeping, but that`s changed.....

Lonnie
11-08-2018, 11:23 PM
This is a thread I started last year in December about this very subject:
https://www.autopia.org/forums/car-detailing/188770-reminder-bring-car-care-products-unheated-garages-freezing.html?highlight=

Crow Horse
11-10-2018, 08:38 AM
Thank you!!!! All my products will come inside for the winter.....

Dan
11-10-2018, 10:05 AM
Keeping your polishes, sealants and waxes temperature stable is key to keeping them functional. I have had brand new stuff go bad out in the garage in months due to temperature changes.

Accumulator
11-10-2018, 01:24 PM
My previous shop got *HOT* in the summer (not just ~90°), but I only had a handful of products ever go bad...only two QDs come to mind (M34 and SpeedShine). Never had a shop get down to freezing inside, but they do get mighty chilly when I`m not out there doing anything.

PoweredByJenga
11-11-2018, 05:49 PM
In summer here in sunny Brisbane, i frequently get the temp inside the garage to 100F. Esp with 2 freshly driven cars adding heat to ambient temp. We frequently get 95 to 100 days in summer esp in late Jan and Feb. Given that i move all of my sealant, waxes, qd etc to inside home. At least at home they will only get to 90 max and that is only if we are not inside. The only thing that stays in the garage are my car soaps.
Cheers

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

mumps
11-12-2018, 11:28 AM
I have an old little refrigerator (like a bar fridge size) that I keep my products in all year round, in the basement. It`s unplugged, but insulated well. Like mentioned, constant temps help longevity.

Chris

RaydiantDetail
11-12-2018, 02:23 PM
I leave the chemicals (APCs, Degreasers, Wheel Cleaners etc.) in the garage all year round. Have not had any issues with any chemicals spoiling.

I keep the polishes/ compounds/ waxes/ sealants etc. in the house in plastic containers all year around and only take them out when I need them. I keep the house around 74F all year round so it works to keep the temp consistent as much as possible.

jatleson
11-13-2018, 08:59 AM
Being in Chicago-land, without a heated garage, I take all my detailing chemicals inside for the winter. Just did the deed last weekend. In the middle of winter, the garage will be in the mid 20`s F. Along with chemicals to the basement, I also winterize the pressure washer, disconnect all hoses and long for March. It is a great time for inventory assessment and planning for new products next year.