PDA

View Full Version : Using Tape during Polishing.

Pages : [1] 2

Fishing
10-06-2018, 06:52 AM
I see people using tape to protect the edge of panels. As an example maybe the edge of a door. To anyone here that does this. After you polish the panel then remove the tape how are you polishing where the tape was ? I have been going over the area with a DA quickly at lower speed setting and very light pressure and was wondering if this is correct procedure. Thank you for ANY help. Disclaimer : not my picture cut and pasted it from the internet.
https://www.autopia.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35454&stc=1

Sizzle Chest
10-06-2018, 09:49 AM
I will use a mini polisher to do those areas. If you don`t have access to one, you could always do it by hand.

Depending on how much `correction` those areas need, going over them quickly will not remove the defects.

Hope this helped!

Mike lambert
10-06-2018, 10:03 AM
Also when doing edges make sure the pad is rotating off the edge. Not rotating on to the edge. Hope that makes sense?

The Driver
10-06-2018, 10:30 AM
Mike is right and you`ll make way more of a mess by throwing polish behind the panel.

Fishing
10-06-2018, 11:47 AM
Thank you all for the help. I am not sure how to do this from Mike "Also when doing edges make sure the pad is rotating off the edge.". It makes sense when I think about rotating Off instead of Into the edge but how do you do that when using a DA ? thank you.

dcjredline
10-06-2018, 12:19 PM
Thank you all for the help. I am not sure how to do this from Mike "Also when doing edges make sure the pad is rotating off the edge.". It makes sense when I think about rotating Off instead of Into the edge but how do you do that when using a DA ? thank you.

Tilt the polisher. Only the side going away from the edge is touching the panel. Tough with a normal DA cause of stalling.

Older
10-06-2018, 04:53 PM
I’m too lazy for taping.

Stokdgs
10-06-2018, 05:52 PM
Fishing -- Great question !!!

You had it correct with your own idea - go over quickly, low speed, light pressure..

I use Rotary Power and I never tape edges and I never hurt them either..

(About the only thing I ever tape is where a rubber gasket meets painted surfaces such as around the A, B, C, pillars, painted door edges where they meet a rubber gasket especially on BMW`s, etc...)

Think about it, unless the entire panel is absolutely scratched, etc., there will hardly - ever - be any major, minor, etc., correction needed on the edges...

Like everything else you do to correct, keep the pad - flat - going over the edges quickly, lower speed, light pressure..
I have never had the edges look different from the rest of the perfectly corrected panel by using the method you mentioned above..

Do not let the outer edge of the pad you are using get caught between 2 edges while rotating..

Dan F

Mike lambert
10-07-2018, 11:31 AM
I prop open panels when possible. Take a towel an set the hood latch on it for example. That way you’re not hitting 2 edges at the same time. You only need to tilt very slightly to keep the pad rotation going off the edge. Looking at the machine, the top rotates to the right. That ‘‘tis the part of the pad you want rotating off of the panel.just vary the pressure to keep rotation going. You’ll get it!

Accumulator
10-07-2018, 12:02 PM
I prop open panels when possible...

Yes, exactly :D With a little thought you can figure out where any sling would go and protect those areas with additional towels. Keeping it out of tight spots like doorjambs (esp. between the trailing edge of the front fenders and the leading edge of the front doors) can save you a ton of work even if you`re doing those areas anyhow (dried polish is different from wet polish you`re actually working with). Even just polish dust (don`t overwork the product ;) ) getting on things can cause more work.

BUT...I have some areas where I do tape just because of that same concern- if product does get/dry in there it`d take me forever to steam/etc. it out. And today`s products make it pretty quick and easy to do limited areas by hand.

Working "off the edge" is a good idea period IMO, even when merely washing or LSPing. Just a good habit to get into. Remember the reverse direction when using a Flex 3401 ;)

Fishing- Looking at your attached pic of how somebody taped that car, the tape at the top of the door sides around the lower window seal...if that`s taped properly it`ll prevent polish from getting into the seam but will not cover so much paint that you need to do back and address it. The more time you take doing the taping you need to do (and only *you* can say what that is), the less time you`ll spend overall.

FWIW, *I* look at that pic and think:

-I wouldn`t bother taping the edges of the wheelwells or the bottom of the doors unless I had a good reason to
-I`d consider taping something in the doorhandle area similar to the tape at the bottom of the sideview, gotta do behind the handle by hand anyhow
-I could go either way on the tape between the two doors; on/off in a moment while keeping polish out of the jamb vs. covering areas of concern with towels and having the doors open. It`d depend on the car/job in question, might even do it both ways

Fishing
10-07-2018, 05:56 PM
Thank you ALL for the great Help/Info I have a few of these things that I am going to try. :)

SWETM
10-08-2018, 06:41 AM
If you have a mini polisher or a 3" setup. Could it be any benefit to polish the edge areas and small areas first. Leaving you a buffert zone with your larger polishing pads. And of coarse tape the sensetive trim and rubber seals before the mini polisher step. That way you only need to tape other edges on the panels that are rised parts. And save you a little time with the tapeing the door edges and other edges you get a buffert zone with.

TheMeanGreen
10-10-2018, 10:33 PM
https://www.autopia.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35461&stc=1

https://www.autopia.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35462&stc=1

That`s why I tape.

rlmccarty2000
10-13-2018, 06:10 PM
There are always exceptions to the rules. On a classic like that or an exotic I would tape everything.

Older
10-17-2018, 07:44 AM
You don`t see a Pierce-Arrow on every street corner. :-)