PDA

View Full Version : Applying LSPs(Cancoat) without a garage?

Lone
10-03-2018, 01:43 PM
Hello all, I plan to protect my car with Gyeon Cancoat and Cure for the winter here in Michigan. Only issue is I don’t have a garage for the 12-24 hours cure time since I live in an apartment. I can, however, do all prep at home since we have a car wash hookup. A family member with a garage lives nearby though the house doesn’t have a hose set up.

Would it be fine to apply Cancoat outside in the shade with very little wind and shielding the spritzes so to speak at my apartment or should I drive to my relative’s home 7-10 minutes away to use their garage after I prep at home.

Worried about contaminating my paint during that drive of course.

Thanks in advance, guys.

The Guz
10-03-2018, 02:59 PM
Welcome to Autopia.

You will be fine. I used it on my uncles car over a year ago and I had to do it under a tarp as his FJ would not fit in the garage. So it is possible. You will be working panel by panel during application so be sure to keep the surface clean on the panel you are planning to apply to.

His car sat outside after he took it home and I did not even use Cure on it. It looked fine when I saw it in the parking lot at work when it would rain on a rare occasion. It is since gone as it went to the body shop not long after I applied it.

If you can borrow that garage for the application that would only help. Give the paint a prep wipe and you should be good to go. Add cure a few hours later just as an extra insurance measure incase of rain.

Lone
10-03-2018, 03:57 PM
Great, I appreciate the response.

Your post regarding Cancoat’s durability actually set me on this path. Even though you’re in California I figured researching it for Midwest winters couldn’t hurt.

PoweredByJenga
10-03-2018, 04:25 PM
To better use cancoat sprays, apply it as if you were using `hard coating` ie get an applicator pad, spray it and use cross hatch pattern. No paint over spray.

Cancoat is very versatile product, you can even use it on wet car. Just youtube, one of the members here has a video on it. With that versatility you don`t need a garage to let it cure.

Cheers

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

glfnaz
10-04-2018, 01:46 PM
I just did the wet application of CanCoat on two separate cars. It`s now my preferred method, as long as I don`t notice any durability issues over the next 5-6 months.

Lone
10-04-2018, 02:56 PM
Awesome, hopefully others in my situation can benefit from this thread too.

Ronkh
10-04-2018, 07:28 PM
We did it to Jen`s car... (no vette didn`t come out of garage)

Worked fine.

If you`re worried about it, do a 2nd coat a week later.

glfnaz
10-05-2018, 10:46 AM
Ron, did you do wet method? If so what were your thoughts? I find it actually easier and faster.

Lone
10-09-2018, 04:52 PM
We did it to Jen`s car... (no vette didn`t come out of garage)

Worked fine.

If you`re worried about it, do a 2nd coat a week later.

Yeah, I was curious about a second coat, figured I’d go with two.

Ronkh
10-09-2018, 07:34 PM
Dry method.

Had to do it properly. :)

audicoupej
10-10-2018, 01:18 PM
In a garage or out just be aware of any breeze and apply to the applicator away from the vehicle/down wind to prevent any overspray.