PDA

View Full Version : Gtechniq G1 ClearVision application issues. Really difficult to remove residue

someidiot
09-16-2018, 12:00 PM
Holy crap, I`ve never gotten a workout trying to remove residue like I just did.

My car is in my garage where it`s probably 80 degrees. Glass was cool to the touch. I applied 3 layers of G1 and let it sit for 15 minutes, per the instructions. I came back with the G2 on the supplied applicator and attempted to remove the residue with a microfiber towel... whoa. I had to really learn into it and put a ton of effort in to removing the residue. I really got a workout.

Is this normal for this product? Does anyone have any tips to make this easier in the future? I just ordered some more (while I let the G1 cure) and don`t want to repeat that experience.

ray67122
09-16-2018, 12:11 PM
From what I’ve seen a lot of installers put the residue remover in a sprayer and that aids in removal!!

I’m going with G5 instead of G1, it offers better performance but less durability but application is simple so it will just become part of my mid year process!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

someidiot
09-16-2018, 12:27 PM
I`ve used others that were much easier. I guess that was my expectation.

I saw a recommendation to mist on the G2 as well and I purchased a misting sprayer with the order I`ve got coming. I will reassess with that sprayer. If it`s that hard again, though, I doubt I will use this product again.

I`d rather reapply an easier product a lot more frequently than struggle with this one. I considered a few others but for the price and durability I thought it would be worth it. Clearly there`s a trade-off in there somewhere.

The Guz
09-16-2018, 01:20 PM
I read on AGO long ago about it being hard to work with. McKee`s, FlyByForte, Opti-Glass are relatively easy to work with if you want to look for something different to work with. McKee`s is probably the most cost effective with multiple applications.

someidiot
09-16-2018, 06:56 PM
I read on AGO long ago about it being hard to work with. McKee`s, FlyByForte, Opti-Glass are relatively easy to work with if you want to look for something different to work with. McKee`s is probably the most cost effective with multiple applications.
I actually have McKees, as it was the first one I`ve worked with. I was looking for something more durable. But the McKees is SO much easier to use.

The Guz
09-16-2018, 08:27 PM
You can get yourself some optimum opti-clean & protect and use that to occasionally add a sacrificial layer on top of the McKee`s coating.

PA DETAILER
09-17-2018, 08:28 AM
I have had the McKess last well over a year. And that is going thru brutal PA winters. If you want something easy as using glass cleaner, Duragloss makes a product called rain repel. It is a true sleeper! It may not last as long as all these new glass coatings, but the product does a excellent job. Also can be used on paint as a quick detailer.

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/duragloss-rain-repel.html#.W5-sGvZFxjo

RaskyR1
09-17-2018, 09:39 AM
It is a little on the fussy side but I think it`s performance is great.

someidiot
09-17-2018, 12:25 PM
It is a little on the fussy side but I think it`s performance is great.
Do you have any issues with residue removal? Have you found anything to make it easier? I did switch to a lower GSM microfiber and applied some of the reside remover straight to the towel and it seemed to work better.

someidiot
10-23-2018, 01:43 PM
ok so I tried it today on my car. the weather was a tiny bit different, maybe 5-10 degrees cooler and a tiny bit less humid. I also bought a 2oz pump mister for the G2

Removal was as easy as any other product I`ve ever used. It was nothing. Just misted the G2 on it and wiped it right away. No struggle, no elbow grease. Completely the opposite as my first attempt.

I really think it was the mister that made all of the difference. So if you`re going to order this, I`d go ahead and get a little mister as well with your order.