PDA

View Full Version : Add on services. Who has them?

Pages : [1] 2

Tex Star Detail
07-10-2006, 04:26 PM
I just recieved my info packet from the Ding King. Just flipping through the pages and wondered.
How many of you, have add on services? Such as Windshield repair, wheel repair, PDR, Headlight restoration, Interior repair, tint, etc.......

Along with my detailing, I already do headlight restoration. I was thinking in lines of adding paint chip repair.......While I was reading it, I got a call from a lady that needed dents fixed....LOL

I got to looking at the prices of some things and about fell out of my chair.
BUT....to those who do have add ons, where did you learn? On your own? A school?

Just wondering......

Brenton
07-10-2006, 04:38 PM
I subcontract a guy for PDR. I make $25-$50/repair I book for him. I do some headlight restoration, paint chip repair, but nothing else.

Dans Detailing
07-10-2006, 05:23 PM
I have add on services myself. Headlight restoration, interior stain protectant and scratch and chip repair.

TrueDetailer
07-10-2006, 05:34 PM
PDR is something i leave to the guys who do it everyday.

I do have a list of services i offer besides detailing. Most i learned on my own or thru working at a shop that does it.

Window Tinting
Graphics/stickers
Minor touch up work,chips,flaking,scratches,etc.
headlight rest.
Interior repair/Dye work

Tex Star Detail
07-10-2006, 06:18 PM
I was thinking Dye work myself, but not too sure what is all involved. I know at a dealership I worked at, I used carpet and fabric dye, in a spray can. Became very good at it....

TrueDetailer.........
What other ways are there to dye carpet/fabric?

TrueDetailer
07-10-2006, 06:39 PM
I was thinking Dye work myself, but not too sure what is all involved. I know at a dealership I worked at, I used carpet and fabric dye, in a spray can. Became very good at it....

TrueDetailer.........
What other ways are there to dye carpet/fabric?

The two ways i dye are by aeresol can, and a water based dye out of a spray bottle.

Theres a few tech articles on the net about dying. If you go to automagic and look around you`ll see the waterbased dye in a bottle and a video showing you how to use it. They call it color restorer. You can buy i think 6 colors from them, or you can buy your own packets of dye from walmart or online and get the same effect for a fraction of the cost.

I personaly like the waterbased as it don`t leave the carpet as hard as the aerosol type.

Tex Star Detail
07-10-2006, 06:56 PM
The type I used was in an aerosol can. It was from Car Brite, a supplier her in town, with considerably cheaper prices.....
There are 36 different colors to chose from. I forgot how much I can get them for per can....I know I pay him cash, and that always seems to get him to lower the prices more...LOL

Maxima Lover
07-10-2006, 07:36 PM
Definitely windshield repair is a money maker. A lot of insurance companies will pay the whole bill to have it done instead of getting a whole new windshield. Because of that it would be pretty easy to sell and the profits are huge.

Like True Detailer said PDR takes quite a bit of learning and tools.

If you could learn to fix interior repairs well, that would be a nice add-on. I don`t see many people calling to have that only done though. Tint is something else you would need a lot of practice to become very professional at it. You would probably be the only on-site tint guy though.

Tex Star Detail
07-10-2006, 07:40 PM
True. PDR is out....too much time to learn IMO. It is also a skill in itself. I think I may look into winshield repair and paint touch up (scratches and rock chip) I already do headlights......

Maxima Lover
07-10-2006, 08:16 PM
True. PDR is out....too much time to learn IMO. It is also a skill in itself. I think I may look into winshield repair and paint touch up (scratches and rock chip) I already do headlights......

I`ve never really looked into paint touch-up. How much does a kit cost you? Will it have every color?

TrueDetailer
07-10-2006, 08:55 PM
I`ve never really looked into paint touch-up. How much does a kit cost you? Will it have every color?

You Can go and buy a kit, but its going to cost you BIG time.

The way i do it is, when someone calls for a touch up. i get the paint code from the car and go to the local dealership and get a bottle of it. I`ve collected about 30 bottle of the most popular colors out there. So now when someone calls, most chances i`ve got it already.

Tex Star Detail
07-10-2006, 09:08 PM
That is what I was going to do. What do you charge for, lets say, a fender with average rock chips? High amount of rock chips?

The way i do it is, when someone calls for a touch up. i get the paint code from the car and go to the local dealership and get a bottle of it. I`ve collected about 30 bottle of the most popular colors out there. So now when someone calls, most chances i`ve got it already.

Maxima Lover
07-11-2006, 12:17 AM

Does it match well? I`ve yet to see touch-up paint, even from the dealer, match up right or at least to my standards.

bermi23
07-11-2006, 09:51 AM
I just recieved my info packet from the Ding King. Just flipping through the pages and wondered.
How many of you, have add on services? Such as Windshield repair, wheel repair, PDR, Headlight restoration, Interior repair, tint, etc.......

Along with my detailing, I already do headlight restoration. I was thinking in lines of adding paint chip repair.......While I was reading it, I got a call from a lady that needed dents fixed....LOL

I got to looking at the prices of some things and about fell out of my chair.
BUT....to those who do have add ons, where did you learn? On your own? A school?

Just wondering......

I went to Ding King about two years ago. I took their paint and PDR. It cost me 15,000.00 and in top of that you will need extra tools that do not come with the kit.
If I have made 300.00 of it is too much. I had problem matching paints, plus whatever permits you need for your city. As for PDR after you leave the school they told me to practice for 8 hours a day for about 3 month before adding to my business. Let be honest full time detailers like us barly have time. I recomend you do your research. What ever you do , good luck.

Way2SSlow
07-11-2006, 11:10 AM
Definitely windshield repair is a money maker. A lot of insurance companies will pay the whole bill to have it done instead of getting a whole new windshield. Because of that it would be pretty easy to sell and the profits are huge.

I dont know about that last statement. As far as profits being huge...I work at a glass shop, and considering the price of each repair and the cost of the repair kit and resin as well as mylar squares.....I *personally* dont think the profit is huge. You`ll also have to plan on buying the specialty drill bits needed for the job if you want to do things right. Those kits you see at wal mart are a joke. We`ve got a few different kits at the shop here and they were all kinda pricey. Insurance companies will pay the whole bill but, you will have to work to get the money from them as well.

Also,

something else worth mentioning......Anytime you drill on the windshield you run the risk of the crack running on you. Then it`s time for them to get a new windshield, and time for you to deal with a P*SSED off customer. Also, if you`re doing these mobile in Texas it`d be a good idea to let the windshield cool a little bit before you start to work on it.

I`m not saying that there is no money in it, but I dont think you`ll be making a huge profit (but I could be wrong). Call around some local glass shops and see what they`re getting for repairs.

HTH