PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take you to machine polish?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Striker
07-17-2018, 05:45 PM
Today I:

-Washed the car/wheels
-Decontamination treatment
-Washed again using clay mit
-Dried car
-Single stage polish using Makita Rotary+Menz 3500
-Sonax Cermaic coating

It would have taken me 6 or so hours to get all of the above done. This includes a half hour break.

I知 wondering if I知 lugging behind or is this appropriate?

I ask because I知 thinking of taking the plunge and actually start offering my services part time but if this was a 2 step polish+paint seal, it would probably be a 12 hour day!

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike lambert
07-17-2018, 07:12 PM
That’s a loaded question! Monday I polished a 3 week old Audi that the paint looked 10 years old.it took me about 6 hours to cut and refine using a Griot’s 15 and fast cut cream along with perfecting cream. Followed today with about 2 hours polishing the bumpers. Then all the cuddly bits and Modesta. Finished about 1 this afternoon. I got about 95 percent correction. Tomorrow and Thursday, I have a 2017 Chevy SS that should only be a one step so hopefully I’ll get done Thursday a little earlier with the Modesta. It just depends on the client expectations and what you want to offer. I must ask, are you that good with a rotary that you can one step a car with no swirls? Not knocking you just asking because I always followed my rotary with a da especially if I was Coating. Never could get it perfect!

Fishroes
07-17-2018, 07:32 PM
Striker I’m no expert but from reading a lot of posts here if you’re gonna put a Coating on you definitely want to get the paint as clean as possible. I would think if your lsp is a wax or sealant you might be able to skip the decontamination step to save time if the paint is in pretty good shape. Somebody on here said that decontamination just makes it easier to clay as they both do the same thing. I guess you have to make that call after washing and drying. I don’t remember 10+ years ago folks on here talking about decontamination and I remember seeing some clean looking vehicles. When did decontamination products come out on the market? And like Mike said it depends on what the customer wants and can afford. Just my thoughts

ShaneB
07-17-2018, 08:50 PM
If I`m doing a quick AIO that whole process will take me 3-4 hours for a car. As much as 5-6 for larger vehicles.

A lot can depend on your starting point too. Are there lots of bugs? How bad are the wheels? Is there significant amounts of tar that will need attention?

More correction focused work, I`m in the 8-10 hour range for a one step and 15+ for 2. That`s start to finish including dressing all the rubber and plastic trim. No coatings here just sealant.

Its a great thing to get into to make a few extra bucks. My advice is just do it. The speed and efficiency will come with time. As well as learning what exactly you want to offer and what it is that your customers want.

Striker
07-17-2018, 09:05 PM
The car in question is a pearl white 2016 Accord that I started maintaining from day one. It wore Collinite as a LSP day one but it will have the Sonax Ceramic Coating.

I did one pass with the Menz just to clean the paint up. It痴 my fathers daily that gets huge highway mileage every week so he needs something solid but not show quality.

I did half the car and ran outta time/will LOL tomorrow I plan on finishing it and coating it.

Stokdgs
07-17-2018, 09:08 PM
For Clients, I average around 10 hours to completely correct all painted surfaces, apply the LSP, polish all the glass, moonroof, all the wheels, tires, inner fender liners, all black trim, polish exhaust tips..
I only use a Makita 9237C, with 5" backing plate, and down to 1" if needed..

Detailing History Lesson - Dan`s Auto Detailing ---

1. 1973 - Compound paintwork with 3M compounds, polishes, using variety of lambswool/lambswool blend pads to cut new paint and polish it perfectly..
2. Years go by..
3. 1980`s - ClayBar from Japan !!! - Wow - how did we ever get along without it??? This thing really works !!! Look at all that embedded gunk come out of the paint!!!! It really speeds up the paint correction process !!!
4. 2000`s - Vulcanized rubber towels come out from SM Arnold !!! Wow, this thing really works !!!! And it`s almost as good as the Claybar but without all the "work" Claybars need to keep them clean and effective !!! How did we ever get along without this ??? Other manufacturers come out with various types of this product in all manner of sizes, etc...
5. Mid-2000`s -- Decontamination Products are here !!!! Wow, they make all the paintwork Purple !!! Just like the stuff for the wheels !!! This stuff really works !!! How did we ever get along without it ???
Oh, I still need to Claybar or ClayTowel the paint, no ??? Oh, this is an extra step.... How can I get along without it ??? :) :) :)

For those that do this every day, you have to decide if the additional cost to your wallet for this product, and the cost to your hours to do #5 is a money maker or not...
Dan F

Striker
07-17-2018, 09:08 PM
Yes- the car was pretty bad! Tons of dead bugs and rail dust esp on the trunk lid and rear bumper!

Front end-

Mirrors-

Stokdgs
07-17-2018, 09:14 PM
The car in question is a pearl white 2016 Accord that I started maintaining from day one. It wore Collinite as a LSP day one but it will have the Sonax Ceramic Coating.

I did one pass with the Menz just to clean the paint up. It’s my fathers daily that gets huge highway mileage every week so he needs something solid but not show quality.

I did half the car and ran outta time/will LOL tomorrow I plan on finishing it and coating it.

Beautiful work, Striker !!!
That paint looks great !!!
I have never used Menzerna on Honda or Acura..
Only use Optimum Hyper Polish and its works great as well on those marques...
Congrats on a great job for your Dad !!
Dan F

Striker
07-17-2018, 09:25 PM
Coming from you that means a lot. Thanks Dan.

dcjredline
07-17-2018, 11:48 PM
Id say 6 hours for a detailer just starting out (1 to 3 years) is fine. A more experienced detailer could probably get that to 4-5 hours or less. I do a TON of 2002-2008 Toyota Camrys and I can do the wash, decon, AIO process in about 3.5-4 hours. I do about 15 a year for a friend who is a small used car dealer on the side.

Striker
07-18-2018, 09:04 AM
My only concern was if I知 doing things twice!

I start off with a two bucket wash>decon>clay mit.

If I知 doing the clay mit- can I skip the decon, or one or the other ?

The Guz
07-18-2018, 11:14 AM
My only concern was if I’m doing things twice!

If I’m doing the clay mit- can I skip the decon, or one or the other ?

Try using the Mike Phillips aggressive wash method. It`s a time saver.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/2009-to-2017-how-to-articles-by-mike-phillips/86146-aggressive-approach-washing-car.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2uSYvuLucA&list=PLf9SO3pQlzJ-WLpwg7U4mUqaB4UuPQ91m&index=6

Accumulator
07-18-2018, 11:45 AM
Good heavens..."How Long?" threads like this remind me why I could *NEVER* be a Pro.

Stokdgs
07-18-2018, 04:13 PM
My only concern was if I’m doing things twice!

If I’m doing the clay mit- can I skip the decon, or one or the other ?

Striker --
Here is how I evaluate it ---
Is the paint really smooth when done properly with clay, claytowel, claymitt, etc.. ??
Is the paint just as smooth when done with decontaminate process ???.
Which process gets all the gunk out of the paint work - keyword - ALL - ???
No, I don`t want the extra work involved using compound, polish, etc., to remove the "rest" of the gunk in the paint work if one of the above process fails to do its job..
Already been there and done that since the 70`s....
Yes, it can be done and was done - before - Claybars came over, but the Claybar and the ensuing better, better still, oh-wow, and the absolute Best Claybars certainly changed Detailing for the better.. Less or no gunk in paint always yielded better clarity and gloss, way less work, product/s, fewer pads, etc.....
You just have to decide how much work you want to put into it.. :)
For sure, any work that you do (and I have seen the pics and it`s great !), will be so much better than no work, so you make the call and it will be fine..
Dan F

Stokdgs
07-18-2018, 04:18 PM
Good heavens..."How Long?" threads like this remind me why I could *NEVER* be a Pro.

Mi Hermano El Accumulator -
Like in everything, perfection takes more time... :)
If one ever had equally experienced help doing this, wow - what would that be like ???
Dan F