PDA

View Full Version : Couple quick questions

DEwalt
05-28-2018, 08:34 PM
I ordered a boat load of product from Autopia a few ago. I ordered menzerna polishes, and may not use something like the heavy cut often. Will the 8oz be enough for a crew cab truck?

Also I want to order tire shine to the order as I forgot it. Which one has the most shine or that you would recommend. I was initially going to buy poor boys.

Also any advice for leather cleaner/ care?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

GearHead_1
05-28-2018, 09:11 PM
8 oz. of polish will go surprisingly far and should be no problem in getting one vehicle in average condition where you want it. I personally use heavy cut polishes sparingly and don’t necessarily use a heavy cut on an entire vehicle. Of course if the vehicle needs it, it needs it and you’ll use accordingly. My feeling is that if I don’t have to use it I’d rather leave the paint on the vehicle and use less aggressive polishes if I can. This has been my experience, to get the most mileage out of my polishes I use a pad conditioner to prime the pad. That will save you getting the pad up to speed with a polish without using the polish to prime the pad and ultimately save you a bit of polish. PoorBoys Bold-n-Brite is my go to tire dressing. That said, I use this product because I don’t like a shiny tire. It will add gloss with a second application but I actually wipe a bit off when the tire is mostly dry. I like a deep black tire that has more of a matte sheen.

Accumulator
05-29-2018, 10:41 AM
Yeah, I`d expect 8oz to last quite a while even if using a ton of product as per the KBM (which isn`t needed/desired with many abrasives anyhow and certainly not with Menzerna).

No idea on the Tire Shine as I go to the other extreme gloss-wise.

Leather care is a complicated topic on which few "experts" (scare-quotes not necessarily intentional, but watch out whom you listen to) really agree. I generally do fine with just an Interior QD used frequently, maybe doing a "full and proper job" every few years, but that`s just me. At the other end of the spectrum from IQDs are the Fat Liquoring processes and other multi-step approaches that can take many, many hours. In-between you have AIOs for Leather and standard two-stage processes with a cleaner followed by a conditioner and/or protectant.

Short version: I`d start with the two-step approach from Leather Masters or Sonus or Ultima or somesuch reputable vendor and then maintain it with an Interior QD.

Be careful to *not* use a cleaner that leaves the leather alkaline; leather is supposed to be slightly acidic.

Note that the conventional dogma of "today`s leather is coated and you can`t condition coated leather" has basically *never* proven true for me. But I do use a Protectant instead for the final step on leather interiors in great condition that I really care about. IME most "regular used car"-level leather will indeed benefit from conditioning whether it`s coated or not, but again that`s just me an YMMV can really apply when it comes to leather interiors.

512detail
05-29-2018, 11:17 AM
I ordered a boat load of product from Autopia a few ago. I ordered menzerna polishes, and may not use something like the heavy cut often. Will the 8oz be enough for a crew cab truck?

Also I want to order tire shine to the order as I forgot it. Which one has the most shine or that you would recommend. I was initially going to buy poor boys.

Also any advice for leather cleaner/ care?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bold n bright gel vs liquid if that helps... as far as high shine I think the pinnacle tire gel is very shiny, but it always ends up making its way onto my car so I stopped using it

https://www.autopia.org/forums/product-reviews/183761-bold-bright-gel-vs-regular-quick-review.html?highlight=bold+n+bright