PDA

View Full Version : How much pressure when waxing by hand...

YNOT
07-04-2006, 07:47 AM
When applying wax by hand, how much pressure should you apply to the applicator?

Do you want to press really hard as you rub, or just apply light pressure?

Just curious as to what will render the best results or if it really matters.

Thanks!

Anthony A
07-04-2006, 08:48 AM
I apply no pressure at all. I basically just lay the applicator on the car and spread the product. With a wax/sealant you are just trying to lay the product on. If you are using a cleaner wax than you need to use some pressure and work it in.

TrueDetailer
07-04-2006, 10:34 AM
I apply no pressure at all. I basically just lay the applicator on the car and spread the product. With a wax/sealant you are just trying to lay the product on. If you are using a cleaner wax than you need to use some pressure and work it in.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c231/truedetailer/word.gif

post # 700

Tex Star Detail
07-04-2006, 10:50 AM

Agreed.

I just lay it on there and spread the product thin.

CalgaryDetail
07-04-2006, 11:44 AM
+1 of no pressure

YNOT
07-04-2006, 12:47 PM
Circular motions?...or straight?

Maxima Lover
07-04-2006, 12:59 PM
Circular motions?...or straight?

Either way is ok. Most instructions on the products say to do it circular. I use to do it that way, but now I only do it straight (as the wind blows over the car). This way is something has happen to get on the paint I won`t cause swirl marks, but instead a stright line scratch. Neither is good, but a fine straight line scratch is much harder to notcie than a swirl mark.

Anthony A
07-04-2006, 02:04 PM
Either way is ok. Most instructions on the products say to do it circular. I use to do it that way, but now I only do it straight (as the wind blows over the car). This way is something has happen to get on the paint I won`t cause swirl marks, but instead a stright line scratch. Neither is good, but a fine straight line scratch is much harder to notcie than a swirl mark.

Agreed. I usually go front to back on the horizontal surfaces and top to bottom on the vertical surfaces. I wash the same way to.

WuNgUn
07-04-2006, 04:06 PM

Will a cleaner wax (i.e. Mothers) remove an acrylic sealant?
I have water spots under my pure carnuba (but on top of the sealant), so I was thinking if I apply a cleaner wax, I`ll be able to work it down to the sealant, and start layering the carnuba without the spots!
Ya think?

Anthony A
07-04-2006, 05:45 PM
Will a cleaner wax (i.e. Mothers) remove an acrylic sealant?
I have water spots under my pure carnuba (but on top of the sealant), so I was thinking if I apply a cleaner wax, I`ll be able to work it down to the sealant, and start layering the carnuba without the spots!
Ya think?

A good cleaner wax will remove everything to the paint.

How did you determine that the spots are on top of the sealant but below the wax?

GregCavi
07-04-2006, 07:15 PM
I use no pressure at all when I wax and use light back and forth motions to cover the paint. I never use circular motions to apply or remove the wax.

Greg

WuNgUn
07-06-2006, 04:41 PM
A good cleaner wax will remove everything to the paint.

How did you determine that the spots are on top of the sealant but below the wax?

My sealant has some mild cleaning properties, and I watched it remove whatever water spots that were left behind when I applied it (first and second coats). But the wax, it went straight over the spots that were left from my last wash/dry just prior to waxing...
When buffing off the dried wax, I noticed the spots, and no mater how hard I buffed, they wouldn`t come off...