PDA

View Full Version : Best product for mud stained ATV engine?

350f
02-16-2018, 01:00 AM
Years ago I stupidly left my atv dirty for months and the mud stains never really came off. The plastics and seat all cleaned up fine but none of the engine, hoses, exhaust and such will come clean. I’ve used Meguiar’s APC and Optimum Power Clean with no luck. I recently picked up some Optimum FerreX but it’s been cold to get the hose out. Will I have good luck or should I order something else?

2010 Polaris Outlaw 525S

https://www.autopia.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34365&stc=1

https://www.autopia.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34366&stc=1

re-tired
02-16-2018, 04:00 PM
well all I can tell you is from my exp. you are probably not going to get it off, esp. the high temp pieces like the exhaust system parts- best thing to do there is remove them and re paint with something like vht flame proof hi temp spray paint-- comes in a spray bomb @ the local auto parts store. Problem is the heat from the engine opens / expands the metal - then when it cools it closes up and they are pretty well set in. The best cleaner I have found is S100 cycle cleaner, but its $$$$- the kawasaki cycle cleaner is about as good though

GearHead_1
02-16-2018, 07:26 PM
Gotta say that I agree with re-tired. Back in the day when big two strokes were the thing for dirt bikes, expansion chambers in the exhaust pipe mounted right behind the front wheel would do this as a matter of course. The expansion chambers were large and very obvious and we wanted the dirt bikes looking near new. We’d keep a can of high temp flat black header paint on hand, wash them up really well and give them a few passes. Ride it another couple hundred miles and do it again.

350f
02-17-2018, 01:29 AM
Thanks guys. It`s going to be warm this weekend I`ll do some scrubbing and post the results.

SWETM
02-17-2018, 08:54 AM
This is just a tought and it`s need some aggitate. But test with meguiars wash plus and a mf mitt or towel or even a sponge. It can be as said that the heat has imbedded it. And the powdercoated paint is thin. Maybe ferrex will help with the corrosion to desolve then. Did you use OPC neat or diluted? Test with it neat and maybe megs super degreaser would do something. The megs wash plus I think can get it as good as possible.

TheMeanGreen
02-17-2018, 12:47 PM
For any uncoated metal, I`d use steel wool and a metal polish. If need be, a super fine wire brush.

LEDetailng
02-17-2018, 07:06 PM
This is just a tought and it`s need some aggitate. But test with meguiars wash plus and a mf mitt or towel or even a sponge. It can be as said that the heat has imbedded it. And the powdercoated paint is thin. Maybe ferrex will help with the corrosion to desolve then. Did you use OPC neat or diluted? Test with it neat and maybe megs super degreaser would do something. The megs wash plus I think can get it as good as possible.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Tuff Shine tire brush might work too. I like the Meguiar’s wash plus idea.