PDA

View Full Version : Kenotek issues in cool weather?

Desertnate
11-30-2017, 04:31 PM
Has anyone encountered issues with Kenotek when using it in temps around 50*F?

Recently, I was able to squeeze in two late season car washes when the weather turned unseasonably warm. On both occasions the weather was in the mid-50`s. I use Kenotek as a drying aid and/or post wash water spot remover. In the warm Summer and Fall weather, the stuff was amazing. Spread easy, very little need to make a second pass with the MF towel to remove it, and looked amazing. However the last two uses in the same much cooler weather, it was a totally different story. The product sprayed like normal, but once on the paint it was a streaky mess that was somewhat hard to buff out.

Had the temps been much cooler I would have expected those results, but 50-ish really isn`t that cold. Have others experienced these issues? I`ve used Meguiars QD spray, Meguiars UQW and Sonus Spritz in similar temps with no issues, so I was a little surprised this time around.

Ronkh
11-30-2017, 06:41 PM
Can`t say

sorry

Stokdgs
12-01-2017, 01:12 AM
Perhaps it did not like the cooler temp and the moisture ???
If there was a lot of extra moisture at the time..

Did you apply it exactly as you had before when it worked right ?

Dan F

Desertnate
12-04-2017, 04:19 PM
Sorry for the delay, I was working all weekend.

Yes, I applied the same way and used the same amounts. I tried applying directly to the surface and sprayed it to the MF towel and then applied to the surface with similar results.

I`ll just scratch it up to temperature and humidity causing the problems.

kevincwelch
12-04-2017, 10:44 PM
Yes, I`ve noticed this...to the point when I stopped using it last winter (during the winter). I love the stuff, but I`ve switched to SiO2 products now to streamline. It still worked fine in the colder temperatures, but it required extra buffing to wipe away.

Desertnate
12-05-2017, 01:58 PM
Yes, I`ve noticed this...to the point when I stopped using it last winter (during the winter). I love the stuff, but I`ve switched to SiO2 products now to streamline. It still worked fine in the colder temperatures, but it required extra buffing to wipe away.

Thanks! Glad to know it`s not just me.

Which products are you using, Ech20? All of my cars are wearing coatings, so I`d be interested in a good QD spray that works in a wider range of temperatures.

There are many good products on the market today, but I can`t help but noticing many of those based in the US are in warmer climates. I think Prima is the only one I know of in a more Northerly area (Colorado). I`m sure they do significant amount of product testing, but it makes me wonder if any of it occurs in colder climates. Very few detailing products I`ve used work well below the mid 50`s F. Sure there is physics at play when temperatures drop, and I`m not looking for something to work below freezing; just something that`s still easy to use down to the mid/low 40`s F

kevincwelch
12-05-2017, 02:07 PM
I`m using ECH2O and TAC Aqua Waterless. I think they work pretty well.

(Sent via my mobile device...)

Wgasa84
01-04-2018, 07:54 AM
Both Finish Kare #146 and Britemax Spray & Shine Antistatic quick detailers were harder to buff off and streaked a bit at similar temps, but i wouldn`t say they were difficult.

I haven`t used the pink Finish Kare #425 or Kenotek yet, but hopefully this weekend I will. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180104/68be0c34defc20463916712a520053ed.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180104/fbdc8cc61ab51f619c7c7be9139b7287.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk