PDA

View Full Version : Do you clay or do you use a decontamination product?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Striker
11-20-2017, 06:51 PM
Been wondering this since I learned about decon products.

If I decon a car, does this process make claying unnecessary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronkh
11-20-2017, 07:04 PM
I still clay. Takes a short time, and I get familiar with the paint.......

GearHead_1
11-20-2017, 07:38 PM
I’ve used both but for the most part I clay. I work on so few cars and just about everything I work on is something I keep up on a regular basis. I’ve used decon products on brand new vehicles to get them started right first thing out of the gate.

jrock645
11-20-2017, 07:46 PM
I`ll spray the ironx type product first but usually still clay. The iron removers make claying a bit easier. I usually use a nanoskin, instead of clay anymore. Less fussy.

Ronkh
11-20-2017, 08:08 PM
Correction........

I iron-x or similar, then clay

grungy
11-20-2017, 08:09 PM
+1 with the combo above. Chemical decon first and then clay

JustJesus
11-20-2017, 08:21 PM
I still clay. Takes a short time, and I get familiar with the paint.......

Yup. It helps one get "intimate" with the paint.

Striker
11-20-2017, 11:03 PM
Okay so If one clays- it eliminates the need for a decon?

GearHead_1
11-20-2017, 11:17 PM
Okay so If one clays- it eliminates the need for a decon?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkNo, but a vehicle that is cleaned properly (including mitts or clay) and often has less chance of letting the paint get bad. There is definitely a time for IronX or like products and stronger as the need arises. Just my opinion.

JSFM35X
11-21-2017, 04:06 AM
Both. The iron x makes claying much easier and faster.

SWETM
11-21-2017, 05:21 AM
I decon wash with a tar remover and an alkaline product and last a iron remover. If the paint feels rough and has contaminants left I clay. Then the claying is easier to do and if I decon wash sometimes it take longer apart to have to clay.

mjlinane
11-21-2017, 07:28 AM
Detailing story goes something like this: 3 kinds of stuff on paint - 1) loosely bonded contaminants (dirt), 2) bonded contaminants (sap, overspray, etc.) and 3) embedded contaminants (iron melted into the clear coat). 1) is eliminated by normal washing. 2) is removed by clay. 3) requires the decon products that dissolve and/or push out the iron from the paint. Clay would (theoretically) just shear off the particle above the paint line while leaving the subsurface piece to do bad things to your clear coat.

Not sure I completely buy this but I generally decon and clay - especially before I coat a car.

Dan
11-21-2017, 07:41 AM
If you want to do the job right, decon and then clay is the way to go. Decon gets the paint clean, clay gets the paint smooth.

Striker
11-21-2017, 08:46 AM
Can someone talk to me about these mits that replace claying?

What’s the deal what are they and how long do they last these Nano skins.

Dan
11-21-2017, 09:49 AM
Can someone talk to me about these mits that replace claying?

What’s the deal what are they and how long do they last these Nano skins.

Its like comparing a horse to an F1 car. The only reason to even consider having a clay bar anymore is to get into weird contoured areas. They last longer than a clay bar.