PDA

View Full Version : Holy Sheet Part III - what do you want to see?

Pages : [1] 2

512detail
10-31-2017, 06:55 AM
Because with the finish of any good test comes another one, of course.

I still have small amounts of all the main players involved in both Holy Sheet tests thus far.

I figured we`d open this up to discussion as I will most likely not resist the urge to polish the hood test something else now.

As a reminder this is the hood of a 2006 Nissan frontier

Here are my thoughts and then feel free to share yours...

1) redo the test without essence under it but instead of exo only on that side I will do cosmicv2

2) cosmicv2 vs ? and ? (I was thinking exov2 since I have a full bottle but I may have just enough exov3 left to do a 1/3 section on the hood) but what would the third player be as cosmicv2 would be in the middle.

Does anyone perhaps have a tiny bit of cosmic V1 available that I could test vs v2 ? I`m willing to ship you the bottle back. Based on my experience using cosmicv2 I will only need about 6 drops to do 3 layers in that section.

3) I`ve always been curious if I could top a cured CSL with cosmic v2 via using the primer spritz and what better reason to justify buying the primer spritz than to test a ridiculous hypothesis.

4) open up for discussion...keeping in mind cosmicv2 will be one of the products for sure

BudgetPlan1
10-31-2017, 08:10 AM
4) open up for discussion...keeping in mind cosmicv2 will be one of the products for sure

As for myself, I`ll be interested to see the V2 and how it holds up. I`ve been tempted by PA many times but for some reason (probably read something on some forum somewhere) I question the longevity of PA. To be honest, though, I`m beginning to question the usefulness of any coating that lasts over a year on a daily driver that sees consistent use and abuse.

I`m actually wondering if a car that has groceries loaded in and out, drives daily in all weather/road conditions/construction zones, carries cargo around and generally has ample opportunities for getting minor defects instilled would be better served by something like CanCoat and a light polish every year. Locking things in with a 3-5 year coating on a heavily used vehicle may not be the best way to keep it looking good and protected with low effort and cost.

nickclark08
10-31-2017, 10:13 AM
I`m interested in this too, as we will likely be getting another vehicle for my wife in the next ~6 months. I plan to coat it for ease of ongoing maintenance.

My vote:

1/3 CSL+EXO - clean "stripped" paint surface
1/3 CosmicV2 + Cosmic Spritz- use their primer as the coating prep polish
1/3 CSL+Cosmicv2 - not sure if using the PA primer under CSL would be too many variables incase something went wonky between CSL and Cosmic.

Or, since you have a bunch of data on the CSL+EXO combo already, maybe try the Kamikaze combo (Budget - I know you like these - can`t remember exactly which product combo you used).

512detail
10-31-2017, 10:18 AM
I`m kind of falling into Budget`s train of thought with regards to coatings. I also would like to know how long cosmic lasts but its going to be hard not to top it. I`m guessing it lasts at least a year but the up to two would probably be if you actually used cosmic spritz every 6 months or so

as far as kamikaze, I don`t want to buy anything else right now and the kamikaze I was given was not used by myself quickly enough before it became unusable - doh!

nickclark08
10-31-2017, 10:23 AM
I think I`m just looking into an excuse to get some PA products haha.

But yeah, hard to argue with Can Coat and a few spritzes of cure or something over the year and just polish if needed.

512detail
10-31-2017, 10:49 AM

But yeah, hard to argue with Can Coat and a few spritzes of cure or something over the year and just polish if needed.

I have can coat but yet to use it. waiting to find a job that will pay me for the gyeon primer and then can coat but I don`t know if I should sell it as a 6 month coating or what

Tc99m
10-31-2017, 11:15 AM
I have can coat but yet to use it. waiting to find a job that will pay me for the gyeon primer and then can coat but I don`t know if I should sell it as a 6 month coating or what

CanCoat is easily 6months. I`ll be at 11months tomorrow.

Now my car is a daily driver (70-75miles) and garaged kept at night. First signs of failure were at the 10th month wash. That was on the front fascia, lower door panels and rear quarter panels.

512detail
10-31-2017, 11:43 AM
CanCoat is easily 6months. I`ll be at 11months tomorrow.

Now my car is a daily driver (70-75miles) and garaged kept at night. First signs of failure were at the 10th month wash. That was on the front fascia, lower door panels and rear quarter panels.

well because its my thread I will derail it a tad.... do you maintain it with cure? or wetcoat? I`m considering a package where I just charge them for a bottle of cure in the price and give it to them (I`ve found people rarely actually order the stuff I advise but if I made it part of the package they`d have it) ?

512detail
10-31-2017, 11:45 AM

bring that ride down here I have a good amount of their line to play with

I was actually thinking about putting can coat on my cars hood. its the only piece of my car that is not coated

BudgetPlan1
10-31-2017, 12:13 PM
I`m kind of falling into Budget`s train of thought with regards to coatings. I also would like to know how long cosmic lasts but its going to be hard not to top it. I`m guessing it lasts at least a year but the up to two would probably be if you actually used cosmic spritz every 6 months or so

After the Gyeon Mohs that `appeared dead` after 9 months but was still doing great at self-cleaning, I`m not really coming to any definite conclusions on that except for the fact that some coatings are certainly not fire-and-forget propositions when it comes to maintenance and the `feel` of a totally un-maintained application. Just did a co-workers white F150 with 2 coats Mohs + Gyeon Booster; he`ll maintain it with washes and occasional Gyeon Cure applications going forward but with winter finally arriving in NE Ohio, maintenance is gonna likely be limited to touchless, soap and rinse only tunnels for the next few months (which is what I did to our daily drivers a few times last year with no apparent ill-effects)

The only other long-term subject I have is wife`s daily driver Honda Civic that just passed the 13-month mark with Kamikaze Miyabi x2, ISM x1, Infinity Wax, Overcoat and is still looking, feeling and behaving like new. The caveat with that is that it does receive somewhat regular maintenance/wash/Overcoat as drying aid attention, say every 2-3 weeks or so in nice weather. Question there is what`s protecting it/keeping it going...the underlying coatings or Overcoat? I have done one decon-type wash with Sonax Fallout Cleaner which didn`t seem to affect it at all (prior to dropping Infinity Wax on it in June 2017)

Do have a co-workers car going with the Miyabi + ISM combo that will not be receiving regular maintenance with Overcoat (beyond initial post coating application use) but only a month in on that one.

as far as kamikaze, I don`t want to buy anything else right now and the kamikaze I was given was not used by myself quickly enough before it became unusable - doh!

It was pretty borderline when I sent it to ya...and not much in there to boot. I`ve got an ISM car coming up when I can pin `em down, might have a more substantial amount left over (and fresher, currently unopened, ordered about a week ago) so that`s a possibility to send ya depending on how much a Ford Explorer Titanium uses up outta the 30ml bottle.

There`s a lot of unanswered questions in my mind regarding coatings right now and after each `experience` more questions than answers seem to arise.

nickclark08
10-31-2017, 01:16 PM
Not to derail this even further, but i`ll be contacting you once we pull the trigger. Already know the vehicle - Mother in Law`s black 4-runner. Low miles, but she has a tunnel-wash monthly pass. Lots of typical wash marring.

bring that ride down here I have a good amount of their line to play with

I was actually thinking about putting can coat on my cars hood. its the only piece of my car that is not coated

The Guz
10-31-2017, 03:53 PM

I`m curious why you need someone to pay for primer when it has a light abrasive and can be substituted for whatever polish you are using in a two step process? Primer can be prep wiped within 15 mins if time is an issue. Of course letting it sit overnight is better prior to prep wiping it.

You could sell it as a 6-9 month range. Gyeon stated this in their Autogeek video.

Look out for the new CarPro Gliss Coating topper. Maybe you can do that side by side with CSL/Exo.

512detail
10-31-2017, 04:48 PM
I`m curious why you need someone to pay for primer when it has a light abrasive and can be substituted for whatever polish you are using in a two step process? Primer can be prep wiped within 15 mins if time is an issue. Of course letting it sit overnight is better prior to prep wiping it.

You could sell it as a 6-9 month range. Gyeon stated this in their Autogeek video.

Look out for the new CarPro Gliss Coating topper. Maybe you can do that side by side with CSL/Exo.
I should have stated it, someone to pay for a one step + can coat and I`d use the gyeon primer to try it out.

or if it was a two step then id try it as the finishing polish of course if can coat was next

I`m not actually charging anyone just for that but using it as part of the can coat process.

So i guess i just need to sell the can coat in general with light polishing or more and I dont coat vehicles without at least a light polish so it would essentially be sold with the can coat in that sense.
I bought them together. I couldn`t resist a 25% off sale earlier this summer.

The Guz
10-31-2017, 05:45 PM
I should have stated it, someone to pay for a one step + can coat and I`d use the gyeon primer to try it out.

or if it was a two step then id try it as the finishing polish of course if can coat was next

I`m not actually charging anyone just for that but using it as part of the can coat process.

So i guess i just need to sell the can coat in general with light polishing or more and I dont coat vehicles without at least a light polish so it would essentially be sold with the can coat in that sense.
I bought them together. I couldn`t resist a 25% off sale earlier this summer.

Got it. Now I understand where you are coming from. I have Q2 primer and cancoat on my mom`s car. I just topped it with Cure over the weekend. I`m sure there will be someone to take you up on the one step and not wanting to step up to a full coating.

Dwhite0960
10-31-2017, 05:50 PM
I`d love to see a head to head with traditional ceramic vs acrylic coating. I saw you said you didn`t want to purchase anything however so I guess this is out lol. I`m intrigued to see real world side by side tests with ceramics vs gary Deans acrylics.