PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had to polish the outside and inside of a windshield?

Pages : [1] 2

ernman
10-25-2017, 06:13 PM
The windows on my wife`s Odyssey wouldn`t come clean. No matter which window cleaning product I tried, I couldn`t get rid of the haze on the inside and outside of the glass. So I got out my bottle of poorboys pro polish and applied it to the inside and outside of the window, I was pleasantly surprised to find the glass looking better than ever.

dschribs
10-26-2017, 06:41 AM
I`ve used a light polish (by hand) on the inside of a windshield before. Cuts the "haze" very well. Follow up with a quality glass cleaner & a waffle weave and you`re all set.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Civicclutch
10-26-2017, 10:17 PM
I’ve had to do that before and I’ve also had to use a paint prep on interior of windows to cut the grime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JSFM35X
10-27-2017, 04:53 AM
I have been successful using straight isopropyl alcohol on a MF. My Subaru gassed off a lot when New. It’s slowed down but it was not fun for a while.

Bunky
10-27-2017, 05:54 AM
If you must trying something a bit abrasive, I would suggest Poorboy`s Pro Polish 2 (combination of abrasives/chemical) for glass as a start. I would just do a test spot and covering the dash during the processs. Ceriglass would be too messy on the interior.

Angus
10-27-2017, 07:18 AM
Check out McKee’s 37 20/20 cockpit cleaner. Designed specifically for removing haze from the inside of your windshield.

TroyScherer
10-27-2017, 08:54 AM
I have done this many times. I really like Klasse AIO on a MF applicator. It cleans well and leaves some slickness behind. I really like it on interior side windows to remove finger prints and greasy smudges.

dschribs
10-27-2017, 09:42 AM
I watched a video on You Tube where a guy recommended the following to clean the interior windshield:

- 2 Cups Distilled Water
- 1/2 Cup White Vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon of dawn

This is supposed to cut the film that is formed from the off gassing of interior plastics. Maybe you can give it a try and report back.

nickclark08
10-27-2017, 10:51 AM
Strangely enough, my wife used this to get 2 day old red wine out of a shirt of mine - worked in 15 min. good stuff (not sure if this was the exact recipe, but I know those were the ingredients)

I watched a video on You Tube where a guy recommended the following to clean the interior windshield:

- 2 Cups Distilled Water
- 1/2 Cup White Vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon of dawn

This is supposed to cut the film that is formed from the off gassing of interior plastics. Maybe you can give it a try and report back.

nickclark08
10-27-2017, 12:13 PM
I vape, so my windshield is always getting a fine film on it that is tough to get off. I`ve been having success with a WW MF and Blackfire cleaner, but I`m thinking of picking this up (once the haze builds up, can see where I cleaned last time)

Check out McKee’s 37 20/20 cockpit cleaner. Designed specifically for removing haze from the inside of your windshield.

Accumulator
10-27-2017, 12:26 PM
As long as it`s not some of that stupid-soft autoglass (oughta put the "glass" in scare-quotes as I suspect it`s more like plastic than what I think of as glass) the polish oughta be fine.

But I dunno how anybody uses stuff like AIO (or most "glass polishes") without having to really clean the residue/left-behind-stuff off. I *always* get smearing of some kind, even if it`s only visible under certain conditions. Every. Single. Time. Every. Single. Product. Even whatever`s in 3D 50:1 leaves stuff behind that doesn`t, uhm..."age well" for me and needs cleaned off with Zep40.

The Guz
10-27-2017, 02:10 PM

Good stuff right here.

Accumulator
10-27-2017, 04:31 PM
I vape, so my windshield is always getting a fine film on it that is tough to get off...

Huh, interesting! I vape too, but not in the vehicles. I did used to smoke in `em, but not enough for it to ever be an issue (windows/sunroof cracked). Well, except for Crown Vics, those things *REALLY* retain smoke odors something awful for some reason.

dschribs
10-28-2017, 06:25 PM
I used the vinegar, distilled water, soap (Dawn) mixture on the inside of my windshield today. Absolutely amazing. My glass has NEVER been cleaner. I may never buy another glass cleaner again. This stuff is amazing.

Used it on a rag co glass towel. Sprayed the towel directly and soaked the towel pretty well. Followed that up with a dry Rag Co blue waffle weave.

I have to say it honestly works better than any glass cleaner I have ever used.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Oneheadlite
10-28-2017, 10:21 PM
Might have to mix up some of this wonder juice and see what it’s all about...