PDA

View Full Version : Do I Need a Chemical Cleaner or Iron Remover Before Coating?

jw3571
10-22-2017, 09:23 PM
I`ve had Optimum Gloss Coat on my cars for 2 years. I`d like to remove and reapply. Do I need to start with a Chemical Cleaner or an Iron Remover? Does this take away the need for claying? Is it 100% safe?

The Guz
10-23-2017, 03:06 AM
Do I need to start with a Chemical Cleaner or an Iron Remover?

It is optional to use an iron remover. What it will do is attack the iron particles that have attached themselves to the paint.

Does this take away the need for claying?

No it does not replace claying. Although it will make claying easier.

Is it 100% safe?

Iron removers are safe.

ray67122
10-23-2017, 08:49 AM
No not necessary at all but it’s always a good idea to have the paint as clean as possible before coating or sealing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Accumulator
10-23-2017, 12:57 PM
When I do a chemical decontamination, the only time I also need to clay is on something new-to-me that`s been horrifically neglected. Of course for a Pro that could be a common occurrence, but otherwise I dunno, guess every situation is potentially unique..

To be honest, I haven`t had to decontaminate a complete vehicle (either chemically or mechanically) for years, just isn`t necessary even though I suppose it`s Autopian Heresy to polish, let alone just re-LSP, without doing such things.

BudgetPlan1
10-23-2017, 06:31 PM
I`ve always figrd may as well start completely over again when removing coating/recoating. Clean slate kinda thing...maybe because of don`t know any better. So yeah, wash/ironx/wash/clay/wash/get out the machines.

Accumulator
10-24-2017, 10:29 AM
I`ve always figrd ...Clean slate kinda thing...maybe because of don`t know any better..

Heh heh, sure nothing wrong with doing stuff properly ;) I sometimes think I use my experience primarily to cut corners when I can get away with it, and I`d probably look askance at somebody else who did that :o

jw3571
10-24-2017, 07:54 PM
So will the chemical cleaner remove the current coating? What else removes the current coating, an alcohol wipe down.

The Guz
10-24-2017, 09:17 PM
So will the chemical cleaner remove the current coating? What else removes the current coating, an alcohol wipe down.

Polishing will remove it.

Alcohol wipedowns or chemical cleaners won’t do it.