PDA

View Full Version : Decals

re-tired
10-21-2017, 07:31 AM
How to you folks deal with the factory decals when waxing or polishing with a polisher? Is there a specific coating that goes on them also?

I cant imagine running a polishing pad right over them. Wouldn`t polish get crammed up along the edges

Here is what I am going to have to deal with- a link to the type of vehicle and the decals. 2017 ROUSH RS Mustang (http://www.roushperformance.com/vehicles/mustang-2017-rs.html)

Any input would be very much appreciated

dontlikemyname
10-21-2017, 07:59 AM
Tape up the decals and stripes around the edges of them with masking tape (frog is the best) so that your polisher doesn’t touch them (especially since they looks matte)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171021/d8839ab57b94f6e599804b9598d52b56.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

re-tired
10-21-2017, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the input

That is going to work on my larger area decals & I will give that a go-- but I have some that are very narrow

dontlikemyname
10-21-2017, 11:42 AM
On the narrow ones you might try to just had polish around those if you don’t have the Rupes Ibrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Accumulator
10-21-2017, 01:07 PM
Try moving the application/polishing medium *along* stripes rather than towards them, and buff off the product/residue before it dries. For larger ones, try always moving from the middle of the decal towards/off the edges.

LEDetailng
10-22-2017, 06:40 AM
Try moving the application/polishing medium *along* stripes rather than towards them, and buff off the product/residue before it dries. For larger ones, try always moving from the middle of the decal towards/off the edges.

Good advice. I don’t know the term, but edging would be how I describe it. Also be careful with tapes. I had some residue issues with frog tape. The residue I dealt with was very gummy.

I would even go as far as to tape off the entire decals if they are matte. Certain polishes will have oils in them, even the residue/splatter from polishes will possibly absorb into the decals changing their appearance.

As far as products go. There are multiple manufacturers on Autogeek and Autopia that offer matte products. Personally I’d leave them alone.

Last piece of advice try to avoid shampoos with gloss enhancers or wax. These too will change the appearance.

re-tired
10-22-2017, 07:23 PM
Thanks for all the good tips fellas

Will give it a go