PDA

View Full Version : OTC Products, what`s new and worth checking out?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Dan
10-16-2017, 02:12 PM
Is there anything moderately new in the OTC space that is worth checking out? It seems like there were a ton of new products every year for a while and the last 5 years has been quiet. I go into the auto parts store or walmart and see the same old stuff. Megs and Mothers seem to have a few new labels or tweaks on existing products. In fact I`m shocked Megs hasn`t come up with an Ultimate Wax (good product BTW) replacement yet.

The Guz
10-16-2017, 03:07 PM
Meguiar’s came out with ultimate fast finish and they just tweaked the formula for ultimate wax (liquid and paste) to last longer.

Dan
10-18-2017, 08:54 AM
Wow, I guess I`m not the only one thinking the OTC market is devoid of new products.

Angus
10-18-2017, 09:27 AM
Wow, I guess I`m not the only one thinking the OTC market is devoid of new products.

Well, in all fairness we`re probably not the best audience for the question either. It`s been a long time since I went into my local auto parts store looking for detailing products.

dschribs
10-18-2017, 09:30 AM
About the only thing I get OTC is Eagle One A 2 Z wheel cleaner and Eagle One tire swipes.

Dan
10-18-2017, 09:41 AM
About the only thing I get OTC is Eagle One A 2 Z wheel cleaner and Eagle One tire swipes.

I like both too, but I`m thinking I`m going with D143 for the cleaner. Also noticed Amazon has generic versions of those swipes. I have two cases of them (they are the best!) but I`m going to try the generics when those dry up.

Another good OTC product, well actually amazing, is the Griots PFM 16x16 towel.

Dan
11-20-2017, 02:17 PM
I ordered some Meg`s Fast Finish after seeing some reviews of the product. Looks like a stronger version of Optiseal.

WhiteLX
11-21-2017, 01:27 PM
Meguiars has a new Ultimate wheel cleaner coming out shortly. It can also be used to decon paint.

Dan
02-21-2018, 07:50 PM
I ordered some Meg`s Fast Finish after seeing some reviews of the product. Looks like a stronger version of Optiseal.
Gotta say I`m impressed with fast finish. Easy on and off and excellent resistance to dried on water spots, almost on par with fresh carnauba in that regard.

WaxAddict
02-22-2018, 05:57 PM
I`m stoked about Griots Best of Show Detailer, available in certain auto parts stores. This QD is every bit as good as Adams, which used to be my favorite fast-flashing QD.

Accumulator
02-23-2018, 01:31 PM
About the only OTC stuff I use is Meguiar`s UQW (consumer version of D156), a year`s supply of which the in-laws give me each Christmas. I only like it for a few specific things, but for those it`s great.

Dan
02-23-2018, 03:26 PM
About the only OTC stuff I use is Meguiar`s UQW (consumer version of D156), a year`s supply of which the in-laws give me each Christmas. I only like it for a few specific things, but for those it`s great.

I`m a huge fan of OCW but UQW is great stuff, it doesn`t last quite as long as OCW, but it seems to keep the car a bit cleaner. Those two and Griots spray waxcare all top notch products that are good enough to use without anything else under them.

Accumulator
02-23-2018, 05:12 PM
Dan- For some reason I just don`t like how UQW looks on my paints, and likewise I don`t quite like OCW as much on black plastics. Eh, just personal preference I suppose, but I do find the diffs quite striking for some reason (I`m often not as discerning about such subtleties as some here, but I sure am this time).

I use OCW on exterior lenses for the UV protection, wonder if UQW is as good in that regard?

EDIT: Hmmm, I`ve never used the GG Spray Wax, maybe because the one person I know IRL who uses it drives a [vehicle] that always looks like a "Before" to me, not that the GG Spray Wax is likely to blame for that...

Dan
02-23-2018, 07:59 PM
Dan- For some reason I just don`t like how UQW looks on my paints, and likewise I don`t quite like OCW as much on black plastics. Eh, just personal preference I suppose, but I do find the diffs quite striking for some reason (I`m often not as discerning about such subtleties as some here, but I sure am this time).

I use OCW on exterior lenses for the UV protection, wonder if UQW is as good in that regard?

EDIT: Hmmm, I`ve never used the GG Spray Wax, maybe because the one person I know IRL who uses it drives a [vehicle] that always looks like a "Before" to me, not that the GG Spray Wax is likely to blame for that...
Agreed they are definitely different looks. OCW for me has a traditional wax look. UQW looks to me like sealant with a lot of depth to my eyes.

Loach
02-23-2018, 09:26 PM
Accord79 broke the news yesterday, Chemical Guys now OTC at Walmart out here in Florida. I checked in Advance Auto to see if they had the new Griot`s BoS Spray Wax but no luck, did see some CG though!

Advance:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4706/25577168537_fd6901bfcc_c.jpg

Snagged from Walmart, they smelled too good:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4707/40404613162_92c9176d69_c.jpg