PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Non-Acid Wheel Rim Brake Dust Cleaner

Pages : [1] 2

Lonnie
10-16-2017, 12:54 PM
I am reaching out, once again, to my fellow Autopians for suggestions of a good non-acid wheel brake dust cleaner. I have been using Meg`s Detailer Line D140 Wheel Brightener diluted 4:1 for a long time, BUT I am looking for something a little safer (IE; non-acid) that I can use on ALL wheels without having to worry about etching/corroding a wheel rim, and yet will effectively remove some stubborn brake dust I may run into on some vehicles, like higher-end performance cars or sport sedans.
I am using over-the-counter Eagle-One A-to-Z Wheel Cleaner for those applications when in doubt about the wheel composition or just to be safe and it has worked OK for the most part. I am just curious if there is a cost-effective (AKA, dilute-able gallon-sized) wheel cleaner out there that some of you are currently using, OR if you are using a particular wheel cleaner because it just works well for you.
I see Meg`s Detailer Line now has D143 Non-Acid Wheel Cleaner, but I have not tried it and heard nothing much about it in this forum.
Thanks in advance.

Dan
10-16-2017, 01:11 PM
I`m looking to try D143 myself. I can tell you without hesitation to avoid Griots "safe" wheel cleaner, its about as effective as a watered down APC. In fact for me Megs APC+ works better. P21S Gel is awesome but expensive.

Angus
10-16-2017, 01:19 PM
Ha! I too was looking at D143 as a replacement for more expenive wheel cleaners when removing iron particles isn`t an issue. Curious to hear feedback on D143 from other members as well.

Poorboy
10-16-2017, 01:33 PM
we recommend our APC diluted about 15:1 for wheels without clear coat ... safe to use stronger if needed :)

That`s 16 gallons !! It also cleans tires and wheel wells ;)

The Guz
10-16-2017, 01:46 PM
I like D143. It’s been around for awhile now. I am on my second gallon of it. The benefit is that it’s both a wheel and tire cleaner.

JSFM35X
10-16-2017, 02:05 PM
I really like Sonax wheel cleaner plus. It stinks to Holly Hell but it works. I recently picked up a multi liter pack and split with with someone locally. I`ve got about 3 Gallons. My wheels are coated so my usage of wheel cleaner is much diminished. But it works great.

Angus
10-16-2017, 02:55 PM
I really like Sonax wheel cleaner plus. It stinks to Holly Hell but it works. I recently picked up a multi liter pack and split with with someone locally. I`ve got about 3 Gallons. My wheels are coated so my usage of wheel cleaner is much diminished. But it works great.

Sonax is great! But pricy. I see D143 as a cost effective maintaince cleaner that will allow you to save Sonax for when it`s really needed.

tom p.
10-16-2017, 02:56 PM
A very affordable and good product is Nanoskin`s wheel cleaner. You end up with 5 gallons for around $25, IIRC. Good stuff.

Dan
10-16-2017, 03:38 PM
Has anyone put D143 head to head against their favorite APC? I`m wondering how much more powerful it is?

trashmanssd
10-16-2017, 05:25 PM
I like D143 works very well on my wheels and tires as a routine cleaner. If they are dirtier I like PB Spray and Rinse but with agitation. Super dirty gets D140 and then a Iron remover fr the wheel and multiple applications of D143 for tire or a strong apc.

Mike lambert
10-16-2017, 05:31 PM
Griot’s iron and fallout remover is all we’re using now.

JohnZ3MC
10-16-2017, 06:07 PM
Brown Royal wheel cleaner from a company called Flash has always worked very well for me. A gallon is 30 bucks and can be diluted 1:6 so it`ll make 6 gallons. Spritz, dwell, rinse or agitate a tad. When all else fails in the non-acid realm, this stuff works like a champ. Now even Amazon sells it I think. Give it a look.

jaybwitz_MKVR32
10-16-2017, 07:40 PM
I use D143 for my maintenance washes. Since I wash roughly once per week, it’s perfect. Not too harsh and I’ve never needed to use it twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mobiledynamics
10-16-2017, 08:08 PM
LOL. I was reading the 1st post and was thinking.....how come no iron dissolving cleaners were in the list.

Pricepoint aside, but for stubborn dust, I`d vote Sonax. For not so stubborn, my vote still goes for the 1Z wheel cleaner. It`s iron dissolving, but has a nice foaming action to it..

I`ve yet to have a wheel so dirty side-by-side to compare sonax or iron-x, but I swear the couple times I`ve used iron-X, it definitely appeared (purple chem = oxidation reaction) considerably more than any of the wheel cleaners in my stash

JVD
10-17-2017, 07:39 AM
I use D143 almost exclusively now and add a step of iron decontamination a couple times a year.

It`s better than any APC I`ve used at any dilution. There`s honestly nothing to dislike about it. It just does what it says and is very economical.

I`ve used Sonax, Griots Heavy Duty, CG Diablo Gel, P21S Gel, and others I didn`t like enough to list.