PDA

View Full Version : Gotcha...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

hwypatrolman
06-26-2006, 08:21 PM

9169I thought some members might like to see some of what we deal with during a routine shift in Highway Patrol. I would agree speed, in and of itself doesn`t cause accidents, but it certainly makes them worse. These stops were almost back to back on Interstate 20.

jaybs02
06-26-2006, 08:28 PM
Please tell me thats KPH and not MPH.

That would probably also be the jerk that is complaining about how much it costs him to fill his tank with fuel.

"J"

belcherm58
06-26-2006, 08:41 PM
Dont` they take your driver lic for anything 25 mph over. I also heard they
can arrest you on the spot??????

hwypatrolman
06-26-2006, 08:50 PM
Nope. We can`t snatch someone`s license for just speeding - no matter how fast it is. Although speeds like that go a long way to racking up points and having someone suspended for points.
And that is MPH not KPH. I`m not even sure if my radar reads in KPH, I`ve never checked.
I`ve got a lot more where those came from.

belcherm58
06-26-2006, 08:54 PM
I am not much on being around someone driving that fast. I would admit that sometimes I look down and am doing 80..... Sorry! Some places they will run over you if your not going that fast.

joyriide1113
06-26-2006, 09:03 PM
Was that with instant on radar... Also do you guys use laser as well?

hwypatrolman
06-26-2006, 09:12 PM
Yup. We do use laser. Laser has advantages, but it has to be used in stationary mode only. I am not patient enough to sit still. As far as "instant on", most, if not all, radars have the ability to turn the transmitter off and on with the push of a button. But in answer to your question, I was just traveling the interstate and letting the transmitter stay on.
As far as traveling 80 mph. I may occassionally stop people for 80/70, but rarely will I actually write someone a ticket for that. Usually only if someone is extremely disrespectful i.e. swearing at me, throwing things, telling me, "can you hurry this up?" etc..

lonewolf0420
06-26-2006, 09:31 PM
After becoming an EMT I developed a new find respect for what Law Enforcement does and has to deal with.

CARTfan
06-26-2006, 09:47 PM
Wow. 101 mph in an SUV. That guy either has real big attachments, or no brains. I`m thinking the latter. :ass

joe.p
06-26-2006, 10:39 PM
Awhile ago a thread was started in refference to radar detectors ,can you tell us what your thoughts are on this subject ?. do they work..

joyriide1113
06-26-2006, 10:44 PM
I just realised something. These people were speeding with a cruiser right behind them? Now they just deserve to get stopped...

kaos
06-26-2006, 11:10 PM
Actually both those pictures were taken stationary after the stop was made. Check the display on the handheld GPS, groundspeed is 0. :)

I was told when I went to traffic school for a speeding ticket about 10 years ago that speeds could no longer be locked into the radar displays, to prevent accusations of dirty cops locking a speed and pulling several cars over with that speed displayed. Was that perhaps just a local thing, or was the officer teaching the class just BS`ing completely? :)

cwcad
06-26-2006, 11:16 PM
As far as traveling 80 mph. I may occassionally stop people for 80/70, but rarely will I actually write someone a ticket for that. Usually only if someone is extremely disrespectful i.e. swearing at me, throwing things, telling me, "can you hurry this up?" etc..

Well, I am glad to hear that there are patrolmen still out there that manage their power. There are to many officers that do not mete out justice. They use the law to advance there own power. Instead of Protect and Serve it is now harrass and hassel.

Maxima Lover
06-27-2006, 01:19 AM
I was told when I went to traffic school for a speeding ticket about 10 years ago that speeds could no longer be locked into the radar displays, to prevent accusations of dirty cops locking a speed and pulling several cars over with that speed displayed. Was that perhaps just a local thing, or was the officer teaching the class just BS`ing completely? :)

All the newer units are not supposed to be able to lock. I think the units already in service were not required to be changed though.

Although I don`t think it makes a whole lot of difference. LEOs aren`t required to show you the radar anyway.

With my Kustom Signal`s K-band radar unit, I`ve noticed that trying to lock the speed at the highest point is almost impossible. You don`t know if the car is going to speed up or slow down.

Stephan
06-27-2006, 06:12 AM
Out of curiosity what is the number on the right in the first pic?

I have driven in a cop car fairly new (as a passenger in the front seat mind you) and man those interceptor engines move pretty good.