PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Hex Grills - best method to clean

jatleson
09-03-2017, 04:14 PM
I know we have a couple of Dodge fans around. What`s the best method to clean the hex grill? Took forever to clean my wife`s Durango`s grill. I`m guessing I need to find some small detailing brushes, I don`t currently have anything that can get between the hexagons. Q-tips and quick detailer/waterless wash takes forever. Link to picture for some attention (and bragging)!!

https://goo.gl/photos/yc7n7pQaKr3rispZ6

Buster906
09-03-2017, 04:37 PM
You might try a small lug nut brush. I have a Ram with the same type of grill. AFTER I clean the grill, I use a plastic dressing

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Accumulator
09-04-2017, 11:27 AM
Ah, had those on the Mazda Minivan...big hassle. IME it simply *does* take some time/effort to do `em properly, and some such grilles are made from stuff that`ll mar pretty easily.

I have various sticks that I wrap MFs around, some even have MF sleeves that fit over them. Yeah, hassle doing every individual slot, but it`s just what needs to be done.

For the first pass(es) a long-bristled BHB can be great for starters, especially with a foamgun/etc. providing lots of soapy suds.

If you take the time to do the grille with, say...KAIO followed by multiple coats of KSG or (fewer) coats of FK1000P, and use some leaves-stuff-behind product for your Drying Aid, the slots will not only look great, but will also a) not retain as much dirt and b) clean up easier.

IME dressings don`t last, sometimes harbor dirt, and some even run in the rain, so I gave up on those years ago...but I hear there are better ones out these days (Tuff Shine comes to mind). Still, IMO you gotta get into every slot, paying attention to every surface/seam. Good lighting helps.

Audios S6
09-04-2017, 12:52 PM
Shotgun bore mop or the smallest wheel woolie. It just takes time, but hex grille are the best looking.

upon3
09-05-2017, 09:56 AM
Yup, the tiny Wheel Woolie works perfect for these types of grilles. There are also some Chinese knock-off "Wheel Woolies" on eBay that are smaller and different material than the actual WW products that are perfect for this, too.

512detail
09-05-2017, 10:08 AM
^ yes second the tiny wheel woolie,, also the boars hair detail brushes (ultimate detailing brush) work well too (check out beauty supply stores locally)

and get yourself some hydroblue or wet coat, etc and spray that on there afterwards...helps out with cleaning the next time

nice color btw!

PA DETAILER
09-05-2017, 12:34 PM
Famous Detailing Brush (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/famous-detailing-brush.html#.Wa7f07pFxjo)

Accumulator
09-05-2017, 01:50 PM
PA DETAILER- Yeah, that oughta be good for the hex-slots. I prefer the flat/paintbrush-style ones for the Audi grilles though.