PDA

View Full Version : water spots

pgp
08-31-2017, 03:32 PM
I have some water spots on the hood. I have Megs Ult. polish and BF GEP. I am guessing BF GEP won`t take them out. I am going to try these by hand. Do you think either one will work? The Megs polish came with a pad, I don`t think I ever used it. I am going to do a final with BF paint protection.

nickclark08
08-31-2017, 06:17 PM
You might consider Poorboys - I believe they have a non-abrasive polish that has worked for other members here for waterspots (Pro Polish?). Hopefully Poorboys sees this thread, or Ron or Brandt (512detail)

Ronkh
08-31-2017, 06:32 PM
Try pro polish (non abrasive) chem cleaner pad dependant.

GearHead_1
08-31-2017, 06:35 PM
I guess that I 3rd the Pro Polish recommendation. Why remove your actual finish if you can chemically remove water spots?

Mike lambert
08-31-2017, 06:41 PM
Do yourself a favor and after polishing sit it in the sun and make sure they don`t come back. You may have to repeat the process.

Accumulator
09-01-2017, 01:23 PM
The BF GEP, which I probably like better than anything else they make, is basically/functionally nonabrasive and has pretty minimal cleaning ability IME. So no big surprise that it didn`t work for this one IMO.

What kind of "water spots" are these? Mineral deposits? Etching? Combination of the two?

Hope it`s not something like the Memphis Municipal Water that etched portions of my wife`s A8 so badly that it can never be fixed....and did so right through a fresh coat of M16.

pgp
09-01-2017, 07:38 PM
I hope to try to work on it this weekend. I think they are rain spots. We have had a lot of showers lately. The car sits out 24/7 so I can`t do much to keep it from happening. I did apply Wolfgang DG paint sealant 3.0 this spring which did not seem to hold up as well as I liked. I have to look at my stash of stuff to see what else I have to remove the spots.

Accumulator
09-02-2017, 12:55 PM
pgp- Not to belabor the point, but "rain spots" still make me wonder whether it`s:

-etching having "eaten away" some of the clear
-deposits having been left on top of the clear
-combo of the two

I`d take a look under magnification first, but then I almost always do that for anything.

Rsurfer
09-02-2017, 03:37 PM
I hope to try to work on it this weekend. I think they are rain spots. We have had a lot of showers lately. The car sits out 24/7 so I can`t do much to keep it from happening. I did apply Wolfgang DG paint sealant 3.0 this spring which did not seem to hold up as well as I liked. I have to look at my stash of stuff to see what else I have to remove the spots.

Do yourself a favor and get some MX7 Water Spot Remover.