PDA

View Full Version : SIO2 buildup - dirt rentention

mobiledynamics
08-28-2017, 06:33 AM
So google/youtube knows my browsing habits (privacy goes out the door :o), and they put this video on my daily feed......

Anyhow, see the video link below....
Has anyone had any issues with SIO2 based products and dirt retention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfu-gK_7xQM

Discuss.

Personally, I have not noticed this.
I don`t even need to polish my exhaust tips no more. The overspray of spray/wash get`s the exhaust tips coated.
Granted the heat keeps the dirt on the surface and I must mechanically wipe the tips clean, but man, it`s just that. Just a wipe and I`m back to clean metal..

JSFM35X
08-28-2017, 07:02 AM
What I have noticed is that using a sio2 booster wash traps some grit between the new micro layer and the paint. It messes up the smooth feel of the car. Although is restored the hydrophobic action I will usually Decin before using it in the future.

BudgetPlan1
08-28-2017, 07:03 AM
I suppose it`s possible using something like Hydro2 or Gyeon WetCoat which likely isn`t designed for hi-heat applications like dedicated rim coatings (supposedly) are. That said, I have dedicated rim coatings on my wheels and only occasionally hit `em with WetCoat (usually forget and frankly, not needed in my world with coated rims) and have never noticed dirt buildup.

Everyone is different (usage, climate, cleaning habits, etc.) so if he`s (guy in video) is experiencing this, I have no reason to doubt that it`s possible.

I`ve used a myriad of SiO2 products in a variety of situations and have found that, eventually, you run into something that is not compatible with something else and ends up being a step backwards.

PA DETAILER
08-28-2017, 07:58 AM
Yea. Dunno. I have been using HYDRO BLUE for months now, and have not noticed any ill effects on the paint or wheels. If anything the Xterra stays cleaner longer. Washing and drying is easier than ever. And the shine never waivers. To me this product was a big game changer. When you have a bigger vehicle, this is such a time saver! And the look surpasses many of the products I have used in the past. I do not top it with anything or use a drying aid on it.

Ronkh
08-28-2017, 08:40 AM
Read the comments. The GUZ has commented and will check it out. So maybe he can pop in and add to the discussion.

Dan
08-28-2017, 09:08 AM
I`ve noticed similar effects with OCW on paint. After continued use, there is a bit of buildup and dirt/grime gets stuck in whatever is on the paint. Nothing KAIO can`t take care of quickly. And FWIW, BMWs spew out brake dust like no other car.

mobiledynamics
08-28-2017, 09:27 AM
Dan -

Soft pads - tradeoffs IMO are noise, modulation, rotor wear, etc.
I actually don`t mind dusty pads...it`s the tradeoffs IMO....

Dan
08-28-2017, 09:55 AM
Dan -

Soft pads - tradeoffs IMO are noise, modulation, rotor wear, etc.
I actually don`t mind dusty pads...it`s the tradeoffs IMO....

Everyone has their favorites, I just don`t see the point on the street. I guess they are good pads if you have to drive the car on the street and do some mild track days. But TBH, Cermaics like Akebono are great for the street, and after a few track days with OEM pads, you`ll be reaching for real race pads anyway.

mobiledynamics
08-28-2017, 10:01 AM
I`ve never driven with Cera. but have used the Axxis, etc back in the days. Did not like them cold at all...

Most of the cars have BBK`s, and I always specify the FM1000 compound pads.

RaskyR1
08-28-2017, 10:03 AM
This is new to me...I posted the below comment on the video.

"I`ve been using Hydr02 on my wife`s E350 for about 9 months now and I can`t say I`ve noticed anything. Regular cleaning with just soap and water, maybe some Sonax if it`s been a couple weeks since the last wash. I`ve probably hit them with the Hydro 4 or 5 times over those 9 months. I`ve used in on my new truck wheels too but it doesn`t generate near as much brake dust as her car. I`ll monitor them more closely now and post back if I see anything."