PDA

View Full Version : Poorboy products and self-service car wash

Suzanna
06-25-2006, 08:10 PM
Okay, I was desperate today.
We got back from vacation yesterday and my car that has to park under a huge oak tree was covered with sap, bug stuff, dirt, leaves, rain water stains and whatever else touched it over the week.
Was too tired and slept yesterday.

Was not too energetic today but had to do something with the car before the afternoon summer rain.

So I grabbed Bug Squash, Spray and Wipe/Spray and Gloss mixture, window cleaner and microfiber towels and went to the nearby self-service car wash.
I sprayed the hood, roof and trunk lid with Bug stuff.
Then sprayed over with S&W/S&G mixture.
The glass got the window cleaner.

Put my quarters in and set the spray wand on wash.
I didn`t pull the trigger, just went over with the regular water pressure.
Got the solid stuff, leaves and some dirt off.
Had a couple of chunks on the roof that wouldn`t come off so hit it with heavier trigger pressure.
Then used the trigger for the tires and wheel wells.
Those first coins ran out.
The car still had really bad stains on it.
Sprayed again with S&W/S&G mixture and wiped with the microfiber towel, which cleaned the car.
Put more quarters in and rinsed on the regular water pressure.
Went over once again with S&W/S&G and microfiber drying towel.

Car looked much better, so I could drive it today.
Want to wash with my soap but won`t be able to for at least a week or two.

Think this shortcut caused any swirls?
What`s the bad/danger part of a carwash?
Isn`t it worse to drive the nasty car?

Thanks,
Suzanna

belcherm58
06-25-2006, 08:41 PM
I use those in the winter to knock the salt off. I don`t like to use their soap solution. Most of the soaps they use are a little hard on your wax or sealant. I don`t think using the pressure will hurt to much. It doe`s get more dirt off and thus less swirling when using the Spray and Wipe. You could take a bucket and your soap from home and take some water to fill your soap bucket
with at the car wash. You can use milk jugs or any other suitable container. I have a pick up, so I just take a five gallon bucket 2/3 full of water in the bed. Getting bugs and bird droppings off is
good to do ASAP as to not etch your paint.

Poorboy
06-25-2006, 08:58 PM
I think you had the right idea, but the method was a bit off...car should be wet first, then spray the bug squash on....let the bug squash dwell for a few minutes, spray with Spray and Wipe, lightly wipe the vehicle and then rinse again. then spray the Spray & Gloss and dry...
Somewhere after the bug squash i would have use the soap from the wand lightly and also done the wheels and wheel wells before rinsing...yes you will compromise a little of the wax/sealant but it would create less swirls...

cwcad
06-25-2006, 09:10 PM
Any effort to clean your vehicle is better than no effort at all. Taking care of your vehicle is a learning experience for all of us. We all do what works best for us. It sounds like you did what you were willling to do. That is a plus. I give you credit for effort.

You might consider using QEW for the vehicle. There are other no rinse washes that are availabale. I have used many of them. I have chosen to use Poorboy`s S&W just like you. I use a lot of it as well as MF towels. It works for me. Just keep experimenting to find your niche.

The pressure washer coin operation should cause no undue harm. I agree with Belcherm58 that the soaps mite have an adverse effect but the pressure washer should not be any problem unless you run the sprayer real close to the paint surface.