PDA

View Full Version : OTC wax for silver car?

BenjiBoy650
06-25-2006, 02:58 AM
What would you guys recommend in terms of an over the counter wax (Wal-Mart, Pep Boys, Kragen, AutoZone etc) for a silver car? I`ve tried AIO before...but I generally save that for my dads black 2000 ML320 and just use generic stuff for the 2 daily drivers. Not looking for anything expensive like Menzerna FMJ or P21S or full Zaino kit...just something simple, cheap and relatively good :) I have some NXT that I don`t particularly like but have been using it since I think my Carnauba will melt quickly under the summer sun.

For the next month I will be parking outside in the mostly hot sun (80-90 deg. maybe), garaged at night. After that I will have covered parking during the day, but still exposed to the elements for the most part (parking garage at SSF BART). I`d like to keep using Carnauba since I like the shine better, but I don`t want it to melt under the sun. Also I`m using little to no prep - just a simple wash and clay then wax and no sealant, etc.

So is there any wax that has a nice sustainable shine (ie. not just a 2 week thing, then goes flat) that also protects nicely...or am I just asking for the world here? :howdy
Heather Mist Metallic/Ivory cloth

Proud member of N.A.T.O. - No Altezza Taillights Organization.

Maxima Lover
06-25-2006, 03:56 AM
Right now I`m using S100 which is great on light colored cars, especially metallic. It`s $15 a jar so it`s cheaper than the P21S. It`s also a super easy wipe on wipe off product that won`t stain. Not sure of the durability as I`ve only been using it for a month, but it seems to be holding up better than any other OTC wax I`ve tried.

If you really just want durability out of a LSP, you`d probably be best going with a sealant. I`m not familiar with OTC sealants though, so I don`t have any recommendations.

BenjiBoy650
06-25-2006, 11:41 AM
Forgot to mention, the paint is not in that good condition. There are numerous chips and such over the front end, a few big finely scratched areas over the roof and trunk.

01WJLimited
06-25-2006, 09:15 PM
Get something like Meguiar`s Gold Class, then use something like Mother`s FX Spray Wax everytime you wash it. That`s what I did last time, I haven`t even used the spray wax for the last 4 washes, and my car beads like a mother still. Spray the wax on as you dry it, and save time. Still beading after 3-4 washes and over a week`s worth of rain.

BenjiBoy650
06-25-2006, 09:27 PM
I think I`m probably going to go for a Megs #26...but I have a question. I have read a lot of people applying spray waxes and the like while the car is wet. How does this work? I can`t imagine how the wax would haze...or is it not supposed to?

I have some leftover NXT Speed wax and Speed detailer...any tips on how to use those properly...