PDA

View Full Version : Does Leather NEED to Breath

mobiledynamics
07-18-2017, 02:50 PM
Poorboys brought up one of the musings in my mind today, which was that tires need to ~bloom~, and coatings prevent that. I may be miswording his words but that`s the underlying theory.

One of my other musings is Leather and Coatings on Leather. Granted for those in the know, we adhere that in principal , coated leather is plastic on leather, so any conditioner isn`t really primarily getting to it. I will agree to some Micro/MacRO level, conditioner may feed the leather through the stitching pores , or as wear induced the topcoat happens, micro/macroscopically, conditioner may find its way in.

Anyhow, many reviews of leather coatings show how water beads on it, etc, which I did not really care much for.

However, in my recent experience with a leather coating, it has Drastically helped in cleaning Dye Jean Transfer, whereas prior methods required agitation with a brush and a high alkaline cleaner. A High Alkaline Cleaner is still required in my particular application to remove the jean dye transfer, but it is easily removed NOW with just a MF ontop of the coated leather. Brushing induces wear on multiple levels (both color and texture IMO).

With that said, what camp do you fall in.
Coatings for Leather or Nay, Leather needs to be able to ~take stuff in~

RaskyR1
07-18-2017, 02:59 PM
I believe water typically beads on top coated leather anyway, doesn`t it? I`ve also seen many manufactures say their paint coatings are safe for fresh paint and that they allow for out gassing of the solvents. While leather coatings may be a little different than the paint coatings, I`m not sure I feel they stop the leather from breathing any more than the factory top coat does.

Maybe this would be a better question for Dr. G or Avi?

I follow the camp that says top coated leather needs no conditioning, just regular cleaning with water based cleaners.

Swanicyouth
07-18-2017, 03:12 PM
Nothing dead needs to breath.

On that note, I think leather coatings are a bad idea for the most part. The problem for me is; and I experienced this CarPro Fabric & Leather; is that it`s virtually impossible to completely remove the coating 100% without damaging the leather. And, the coating WILL wear on friction spots fairly quickly - leaving an uneven feel / appearance.

IMHO, it`s better to just clean and "protect" (debatable wether or not "protect" is even legit) frequently. If you do it once a month or so, you can use an AIO type product.

My product of choice is Poor Boys Leather Stuff.

mobiledynamics
07-18-2017, 03:58 PM
I actually applied CQL and while I was a skeptic and was not too crazed about the slight sheen/color change (depends how golden you`re eyes are), this stuff DOES work. My experience on cleaning dye transfer removal which entailed using a high ph cleaner/brushing required ----now, with CQL, still requires the High PH cleaner, but a ~soft~ MF all that is required to wipe it off. This is possibly one of the biggest game changers in detailing for me for 2017 and I`ll even throw in 2016.

I was desperate and while residual wear might be a problem down the line (kinda like coating trim), it`s feel tons better knowing I don`t need to brush (abrade) the surface to get the dye off.

Former past thread here
https://www.autopia.org/forums/car-detailing/186825-jean-dye-transfer-alkalinity-mumblings-condundrum.html?highlight=leather

David Fermani
07-20-2017, 04:42 AM
Nothing dead needs to breath.

That`s the best answer I`ve seen in a long time!!

I wouldn`t worry about locking in/out leather. It`s already been made to be as stable as it needs to be during the tanning process. Keep it clean regularly with a damp towel and you`ll be good to good for decades.

Poorboy
07-20-2017, 10:20 AM
That`s the best answer I`ve seen in a long time!!

I wouldn`t worry about locking in/out leather. It`s already been made to be as stable as it needs to be during the tanning process. Keep it clean regularly with a damp towel and you`ll be good to good for decades.

Coated Leathers don`t breath and are for the most part non-porous except when perforated and by the seems .. keeping them clean as David said ...

My first question about a coating, is whether it has any long term effects on the stitching ..?? can it dry it out? can it become brittle?

mobiledynamics
07-20-2017, 11:20 AM
Can stitching dry out ? I dunno, but I suppose the tensile is of a certain parameter to see the constant stress of someone getting in/out. While the average is 160lb, there`s also 220lb`ers.. ??

Not my issue after 48 months, but I must say, for challenging light leathers and RAW *keyword here* dye transfer, I`ve never experienced something so different in a product/LSP that made me say wow, in a very looong time...

We have like 10 zillion different products and they more/less do the same task, albit differently and subjective to the person using them....ya know. The coated leather and the affinity of being able to wipe it off, whereas former technique on doing as such to keep it clean was a experience in auto detailing that I have not had the joy of seeing something different in quite awhile.

Accumulator
07-20-2017, 11:58 AM
Hi, David!

David Fermani
07-20-2017, 01:58 PM
Hi, David!

Hello there! How`s life been treating you? Glad to know you`re still a permanent fixture here!

Lonnie
08-30-2017, 05:38 PM
Hello there! How`s life been treating you? Glad to know you`re still a permanent fixture here!
Mr. Fermani, you are alive!!!
Still remember your EPIC photo expose on abandoned detailing businesses and buildings in the greater Detroit, Michigan area. Found it hard to believe that these things exists in inner city America. Looked more like a third-world country. I visited Detroit with my sister-in-law and wife about three years ago to see a retired Catholic priest who served in Wisconsin at the monastery whose order is stationed in Detroit , and it was scary to say the least, to see this first-hand. Nothing like seeing gleaming General Motor towers in the distant skyline with nearby burned-out houses and (many) homeless people.

Accumulator
08-31-2017, 11:55 AM
Mr. Fermani, you are alive!!!

Yeah, I too just now noticed that he`d replied! Gee, how`d we miss that?

David- If you see this...everything`s good here.