PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Brass - Anyone Know Anything?

Pages : [1] 2

Swanicyouth
07-18-2017, 01:26 PM
So, anyone know anything about polishing brass? On a whim I just bought this:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170718/ed83ced5bfde4323dc6b74203bae54ea.jpg

Really not sure why. Other than I thought I could make it super shiny again. I`m pretty sure it`s brass - hopefully not plated brass - but really dunno?

Was thinking about PC w/ a 3" compounding pad and a heavy cut compound...Or even same set up with different metal polishes...

Dunno...

Help?

Poorboy
07-18-2017, 01:36 PM
We used to do a lot of brass for the guy who owned a junk yard ... we used Foamed Wool pads and Pro Polish .. non-abrasive polish as brass is a soft metal .. I think it`s only plated but I could be wrong

Swanicyouth
07-18-2017, 03:26 PM
We used to do a lot of brass for the guy who owned a junk yard ... we used Foamed Wool pads and Pro Polish .. non-abrasive polish as brass is a soft metal .. I think it`s only plated but I could be wrong

Coincidently I have PP :)

JSFM35X
07-18-2017, 03:30 PM
Or brasso at Home Depot. Or Maas polish.

nickclark08
07-18-2017, 04:31 PM
I use brasso or Puma. Puma gives a nice look to it, used on my uniform brass when playing military at Texas A&M Corps of Cadets.

rlmccarty2000
07-18-2017, 06:32 PM
Brass and a ton of soft baby diapers.

RTexasF
07-19-2017, 07:55 AM
Judging by the huge amounts of brass Uncle Sam had us polish on his gray flat top boats (Navy) Brasso would be my choice

Lonnie
07-19-2017, 08:25 AM
Poorboy may be correct: that vintage extinguisher may plated brass, not solid brass.
Judging by the patina (IE, color of the faded/corroded material from time) you may have a copper-coated extinguisher.
Either way, using a brass or copper-specific metal polish is highly advisable, as either of these metals are "softer". I would be very leery about using chrome cleaner on them just because I have such a chemical on hand. I would suggest using MAAS metal polish for either of these metals. Also, as mentioned above, using soft cotton cloths. like cloth baby diapers OR chamois-type soft nap microfiber are highly suggested for both application and wipe-off. It`s a very dirty job and I would wear latex gloves if you do not want your hands to be black for a few days after polishing.
If you have access to Dremel Tool and wool-or-felt polishing bobs (or fobs) of various shapes (balls, cones, and cylindrical) , this can make polishing tight areas much easier with great results rather than doing it by hand with cotton swabs (AKA Q-Tips), which tedious as well. I see that Top-of the-Line Detailing sells a3" wool mushroom buffing ball for buffing metals that has a solid shaft that fits a cordless drill chuck that may make this polishing job much easier, as well.

I would not suggest taking it to a chrome shop and having them "buff" it out with a fixed polishing machine (think pedestal grinding or sharpening machine) and a wool pad, UNLESS they have soft metal-specific pad and polish. Polishing/buffing chrome or aluminum or stainless steel is one thing; brass or copper is another.

Accumulator
07-19-2017, 11:05 AM
Lonnie- Huh, thought was the only guy here with Maas on the shelf :D My late father was crazy about the stuff, must`ve left me a half-dozen tubes of it.

dcjredline
07-19-2017, 05:44 PM
I did a brass bed frame from the 40s for someone. I ended up with P21S doing the heavy work for me then following up with Brasso which also helps protect it. This bed was BROWN when I started from oily hands touching it for the last 70 years. I don`t have pics on my phone but may be able to remember to show some when I get home.

Swanicyouth
07-19-2017, 06:56 PM
I think I have some of those cotton bob spinny things you can use on a drill. Also, may be able to pick up some Flitz ones locally... Not looking forward to doing this by hand

But will get Brasso for sure.

I guess nobody tried a foam 3" cutting pad on a DA? May try that first - I know it will ruin the pad..

Will post b4 & after pics

Swanicyouth
07-19-2017, 06:59 PM
I did a brass bed frame from the 40s for someone. I ended up with P21S doing the heavy work for me then following up with Brasso which also helps protect it. This bed was BROWN when I started from oily hands touching it for the last 70 years. I don`t have pics on my phone but may be able to remember to show some when I get home.

The polishing soap or the multi surface restorer P21S? Have both...

kkritsilas
07-19-2017, 09:00 PM
I don`t know if you have this where you live, but there is a product called Nev-R-Dull. It is sort of a chemically infused cotton/wool that is used by hand. It works well, and is supposed to leave a protective coating behind. It is abrasive, but extremely fine (think Menzerna 3500/Meguiar`s #9 fine).

An alternative if you don`t want to do this by hand is Flitz metal polish and their Buff Balls. I think they also have a chemical pre-cleaner for copper/brass that makes the process go a lot faster. The Buff Balls come in 3 sizes, so pick according to taste. The Buff Balls are used with an electric drill.

dcjredline
07-19-2017, 09:17 PM
The polishing soap or the multi surface restorer P21S? Have both...

Sorry, the polishing soap! Some spots were so bad I had to use 0000 steel wool and the soap but that did better than any metal polish wad, ketchup, vinegar, etc. I tried it all and finally gave the P21S soap a try and it worked wonders. Hope it helps you too!!! Obviously try a test spot first!!!! That`s a pretty cool piece wouldn`t want to see it ruined.

Accumulator
07-20-2017, 12:18 PM
Seems like *everybody* who uses the P21s Polishing Soap loves it!

Be careful with Nev-R-Dull; it might be different these days, but I did some damage with the stuff back in the `70s, more abrasive than I`d expected. Its is nice/quick/easy on non-critical surfaces though.

And yeah..Flitz is in the same category as Maas...can`t say which one I prefer right off-hand, and again IME, for non-critical surfaces, not something you just spent ten hours turning into a metal mirror.