PDA

View Full Version : Correcting: Do This to the Entire Car?

OzzieMike
06-30-2017, 07:30 PM
Probably a dumb question...

When doing some light correction, is it OK to do only the affected area, or must the entire car be done to avoid any differences in the paint? Say the hood has some correction required on a small section of it (maybe 6" x 6"), would the recommendation be to do the same correction on the entire hood or entire car?).

Buster906
06-30-2017, 07:37 PM
If you can use an AIO polish like HD SPEED or Klasse, then you can go over your whole vehicle and still leave some protection behind. There are probably better AIO polishes at the Autogeek store

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ronkh
06-30-2017, 08:16 PM
I`ve done spot correction when entire vehicle doesn`t need that much cut, then gone over entire car w/finish polish or aio.

OzzieMike
06-30-2017, 08:17 PM
I may not have explained my question well...let me try to clarify:

Let`s say I`ve got the small section on the hood that needs correction. So I grab an orange pad with and my (new, BTW) GG6 and some polish. I`m able to buff out the defect at this point. So should I do the entire (hood, in this case) section with the orange pad and polish....then swap to a less aggressive pad and redo the hood? I plan on polishing the entire car, BTW, with a less aggressive pad...followed by a coating of Meguiar`s Ultimate Finish.

Or should I just use the orange pad on the defect area, then switch to a different pad and start over after the defect`s been corrected?

Ronkh
06-30-2017, 08:26 PM
I may not have explained my question well...let me try to clarify:

Let`s say I`ve got the small section on the hood that needs correction. So I grab an orange pad with and my (new, BTW) GG6 and some polish. I`m able to buff out the defect at this point. So should I do the entire (hood, in this case) section with the orange pad and polish....then swap to a less aggressive pad and redo the hood? I plan on polishing the entire car, BTW, with a less aggressive pad...followed by a coating of Meguiar`s Ultimate Finish.

Or should I just use the orange pad on the defect area, then switch to a different pad and start over after the defect`s been corrected?

I`m a fan of "least aggressive" So I would do the "bad section" somewhat aggressive, then step down for polish along with rest of hood. No reason to aggressively attack whole section for one flaw.

Ronkh
06-30-2017, 08:27 PM

this

OzzieMike
06-30-2017, 08:32 PM
Thanks Ronkh......perfect answer!

GearHead_1
06-30-2017, 09:24 PM
I`ve done spot correction when entire vehicle doesn`t need that much cut, then gone over entire car w/finish polish or aio.I believe this to be the correct response. In my mind I can`t see removing clear coat that doesn`t need to be removed.

LEDetailng
06-30-2017, 10:12 PM
Ron only wastes wax, not clear:)

Accumulator
07-01-2017, 11:52 AM
Right. I haven`t done a truly whole-vehicle serious correction more than one time on anything I`ve owned for the last few decades. Only do what`s necessary, where necessary, when necessary.

OzzieMike
07-01-2017, 08:01 PM
Great input from everyone (have I said how great this forum and its denizens is?).