PDA

View Full Version : Need SERIOUS help with bugs!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Don
06-18-2017, 05:27 AM
I have recently gotten several details (with more to come) in an area that is plagued by these bugs that LOOK like mosquitoes, SWARM like mosquitoes, but are not mosquitoes. Any how, the cars I`m getting have absolutely no wax protection at all and these flying menaces are literally CEMENTED to the front ends, windshields and all forward surfaces of the cars.

Washing won`t touch them, neither does an APC. I even tried Meguiar`s Acid Free-Wheel/Tire Cleaner with little results. Using a compound on a microfiber cloth even has little effect.

Is there something I can use to help rid myself of these `cement bugs` before they ruin my reputation?

Ronkh
06-18-2017, 06:12 AM
Bug Squash
+
PB bug micro

BadgerRivFan
06-18-2017, 06:30 AM
Agree with Ron... Poorboy`s Bug Squash is the way to go.

Mix it 3:1 and spray it on, let dwell for a few minutes and wash it off. Works great and will not harm your LSP.

The mesh microfiber towels are also really good. Highly recommend both.

Mike lambert
06-18-2017, 06:37 AM
Griot`s ergo wave sponge and Griot`s bug spray

Don
06-18-2017, 07:46 AM
Thanks guys so far between here and AG, ON bug squash is in the lead by a wide margin. I have 2 weeks before my next detail so I will have plenty of time to research and order what I`ll need

Don
06-18-2017, 07:48 AM
poor boys ... damn auto correct

Ronkh
06-18-2017, 08:18 AM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/ronkh/20140507_131256_zpspkwg6fpu.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/ronkh/20140507_131157_zps5f32snkz.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/ronkh/Mobile%20Uploads/tapatalk_1490485563268_zpssbbiwql4.jpeg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/ronkh/Mobile%20Uploads/20160728_120731_zpsnuwphyeb.jpg

Ronkh
06-18-2017, 08:19 AM
Just as an "value add" do the radiator for the customers.

dcjredline
06-18-2017, 08:26 AM
Bug squash has taken care of any bugs I have ever encountered. It will not take care of any etching that may have occurred so be warned about that and let the customers know/teach them how important wax is to prevent the guts from etching.

JSFM35X
06-18-2017, 10:37 AM
Big squash is my go to. Also used with bug micro

Accumulator
06-18-2017, 12:18 PM
I use the 1Z (guess that`s "NextZ" now) version and it works fine. Easy enough on my LSPs as long as I don`t let it dwell too long. Hardly ever need it with the FK1000P though.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND USING BUG SPONGES on anything except windshields.

I do recommend using a relatively bug-proof LSP, namely a few coats of FK1000P (gee, big surprise there, huh? :o ). Noting that all bugs/bird-bombs are different, I left some nasty bug splats on the front of the Crown Vic from Sept.-May and had zero etching, and with that stuff they always wash off easily enough (especially with the Bug Juice and a WWMF for Bugs).

Be careful with the wash media- once the bug exoskeleton stuff transfers to the medium it becomes sandpaper IMO. And I trust we all CD-test such stuff first, right?

Don
06-18-2017, 02:09 PM
I use the 1Z (guess that`s "NextZ" now) version and it works fine. Easy enough on my LSPs as long as I don`t let it dwell too long. Hardly ever need it with the FK1000P though.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND USING BUG SPONGES on anything except windshields.

I do recommend using a relatively bug-proof LSP, namely a few coats of FK1000P (gee, big surprise there, huh? :o ). Noting that all bugs/bird-bombs are different, I left some nasty bug splats on the front of the Crown Vic from Sept.-May and had zero etching, and with that stuff they always wash off easily enough (especially with the Bug Juice and a WWMF for Bugs).

Be careful with the wash media- once the bug exoskeleton stuff transfers to the medium it becomes sandpaper IMO. And I trust we all CD-test such stuff first, right?

I planned on using microfiber or terry cloth, that should be aggressive enough with the anti-bug juice, to scrub the bugs off the paint, although the bug sponge for glass seems like a good idea, so I`ll probably order one or two of them as well.

LSP-friendly isn`t really a concern (since none of these cars even HAVE an LSP, which is partly what makes things so tough to begin with) as once I get the bugs off, I am applying D151 + Ult Liquid Wax ... The ULW seems to shed bugs pretty well though as I`ve collected a few driving to & from the detail site. A heavy blast from the hose usually gets 90%+ of the carcasses off of the Camaro.

No, I don`t CD test my stuff, but I do use common sense, which says to either rinse out the wash media after scrubbing bug carcasses or at least switch to a fresh area of the towel when moving to a new spot. I think my biggest issue - where I`m detailing these cars, is the "wash area." I`m doing this all outside and the wash area is in full sun, so everything dries FAST, FAST, FAST and the water source is a garden hose with a leak (a leak with inconvenient aim BTW - had me thinking I had lost bladder control for a minute there) so I have no real pressure, just free-flowing water.

The "detailing area" isn`t too bad, it`s under a huge tree that doesn`t spit sap or pollen, but it does hide the occasional avian terrorist - I went to do the `final wipe` on the blue GMC Sierra and found "evidence of hostile avian activity" right on the hood.

**EDIT** I just looked up the 1Z (NextZ) bug pre-treatment and they only sell it is a small bottle - not near enough to handle what I am encountering. I plan on ordering the anti-bug juice stuff by the gallon in the next few days.

Don
06-18-2017, 02:26 PM
http://sites.middlebury.edu/middmag/files/2012/08/mayfly.jpg

Turns out these things are `Mayflies` or `Canadian Soldiers.` And the closer you get to Lake Erie, the more prevalent they get.

rlmccarty2000
06-18-2017, 03:45 PM
I too was going to suggest 1Z Bug Remover but it looks like Autopia has discontinued it. What a shame as it is my go to bug remover. I wonder if the 1Z window cleaner might work. It is paint safe and removes everything from glass. Every time I think about changing glass cleaners I ask myself, why? The best window cleaner on the Earth.

trashmanssd
06-18-2017, 05:44 PM
Small Mouth Bass love eating May Flies.