PDA

View Full Version : Film buildup on headlights over time

Manix
06-13-2017, 03:52 AM
What causes the thin almost foggy slightly grimy like film to build up on plastic headlights over time? To my knowledge it has to be polished off.
This happens over a few years even despite regular weekly washing.

btw most typical cars that barley get a real wash yearly have a very noticeable film.

I polished up my headlights to a flawless finish & wondering if an LSP coat is really the way to go?
As another problem is headlight covers which sit just a few mm ontop of the headlights themselves. I think they act to trap moisture between the two which causes the film build up.

I don`t like the idea of an LSP on plastics, as the buffing off may scratch it.

thanks

mobiledynamics
06-13-2017, 07:20 AM
It`s just oxidation

FWIW, clear film does wonders to mitigating/minimizing it immensely...

Boden
06-13-2017, 09:04 AM
Buff away, that`s how you take that layer of oxidized plastic off.

Accumulator
06-13-2017, 10:40 AM
Note that after you lose enough material via polishing/oxidation you also lose the UV resistance. At some point you have to do more than just polish `em clear again; you have to do something to provide UV resistance lest it just keep happening.

mobiledynamics
06-13-2017, 11:25 AM
Just wanted to expound on my post.

I once did a control sample....one headlight had full film. One I left partially exposed.
The film itself probably got polished/finessed twice over the course of 2 years.
Film was LSP as well as car.
Car was sold around year 5- 6. Both headlights were clear. The control area (area that had no film) was oxidized.

As a general rule, for any car, I have headlights and lower body areas filmed.
Film IMO has it`s place....not a huge fan on upper paint, but for sure lowers and lights
YMMV