PDA

View Full Version : Best UV barrier on the market?

Pages : [1] 2

bennylava
06-12-2017, 04:35 AM
So out of the millions of products out there, which one offers the very best UV barrier? I`m referring to ones that you would just wipe onto plastics. NOT a wax for a car`s paint job. I`m looking for something that I can use on my pontoon boat. I have to fight back against the sun with this thing. I need something I can put on all the plastic and rubber parts that are exposed to the Texas sun.

rlmccarty2000
06-13-2017, 10:47 AM
The one that lasts the longest for me is CarPro DLux. I like to use Solution Finish under it to darken washed out black trim before DLux.

bennylava
06-18-2017, 05:26 AM
Thanks for the reply! I`ll look into that one now. Anyone else have any others they might recommend for a boat exterior? Need something that I can apply from time to time, to help block those destructive UV rays.

BadgerRivFan
06-18-2017, 06:33 AM
303 Aerospace Protectant

MattPersman
06-18-2017, 07:13 AM
Hard to say really it`s all just claims

I would try CarPro dlux or gtechiq c4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bennylava
06-20-2017, 09:00 AM
I know 303 is a big contender here. But given the nature of this forum, I thought it would be down to a hard science by now lol. Something like 2 or 3 top products that are just known to be the very best. For now at least..

Lonnie
06-20-2017, 09:50 AM
I would go with Aerospace 303 Protectant. It`s relatively inexpensive and easy to find over-the-counter at most boating or RV supply places. Just make sure the plastic/vinyl is clean before you apply it. Aerospace even makes a vinyl cleaner for that purpose. I use Meg`s Detailer Line D101 All-Purpose Cleaner (the green stuff) as a plastic pre-cleaner.
One thing about 303 is that, depending on where you live and how much sun-and-heat the plastic will be exposed to, it may require a more frequent re-application of the protectant than some of the coatings mentioned above to offer the UV protection, as it does gas-off (evaporate) in the heat over time. I would guess an every-other-week application may be in order if you use the boat a lot. One other suggestion is to use a cotton-cloth (like a flour sack cloth) to wipe off and buff excess protectant applied. Using a microfiber cloth for wipe-offs tends to be too absorbent and will remove too much of the just applied protectant, causing blotches and streaks on the plastic/vinyl. You can let the protectant sit for a 3-5 minutes, but I do not like to let it sit too long, or evaporate on its own in the heat, again causing blotches or streaks.

Edit: I see the OP wants some thing for EXTERIOR trim. My suggestions are more for interior trim. I`ve used Meg`s consumer-line Ultimate Black trim Restorer for exterior soft plastic/vinyl trim, but that`s an automotive-based application.

Meguair`s makes a marine-specific vinyl and rubber treatment M57 that may apply to meet your specific requirements.

Lastly, check out McKees 37 RV product line. While not marine specific, I am sure that some of their rubber and plastic care products may also cross-over for your application.

Accumulator
06-20-2017, 10:40 AM
I use OCW on any exterior plastics/rubber/etc. that I consider especially vulnerable to UV, though I kinda prefer the look that Meguiar`s UQW imparts...just not convinced that the latter has the same UV protection (though I have no real evidence to support that).

When I got some of my vehicles the exterior trim/seals/lenses/etc. were utterly oxidized to the point of white and flaky. They came back fine with a little work and the black trim/seals turned out nice and black again without needing to employ a repigmenting/dye product (I have the ValuGard Exterior Trim Restoration Kit but never needed it for that after all) . More importantly, they`ve stayed that way with just the spraywaxing after every (infrequent) wash.

richy
06-20-2017, 10:58 AM
Duragloss, which has been making fantastic products for years, has a marine specific product: 531. Google Duragloss 531. EVERY order from them comes with a standard $5 shipping cost. They have some amazing products if you`re not familiar with their line.

bennylava
06-21-2017, 09:27 AM
I use OCW on any exterior plastics/rubber/etc. that I consider especially vulnerable to UV...

What does OCW stand for? Not familiar with that one

SGM2008
06-21-2017, 09:59 AM
What does OCW stand for? Not familiar with that one

Optimum Car Wax (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/optimum-car-wax.html#.WUqI7usrJQI) .... it contains UV inhibitors.

bennylava
06-22-2017, 12:02 PM
Ah ok - So maybe I could use it on the pontoon`s "fence". Although, don`t most waxes contain a UV inhibitor? Or is that one just known to contain a very good and longer lasting UV inhibitor?

nothingface5384
06-22-2017, 02:59 PM
not sure which is best UV product...but I do know for ceramic coatigs..Pearl nano HD works for years on single stage paint and headlights

also know with no refresh/maintenance sprays....Polish Angel viking coat keeps a single stage blue from reoxidizing about 10 months out of the claimed year

Benderman
06-22-2017, 03:50 PM
Tacsystem :)

JBM
06-22-2017, 06:48 PM
On the facebook group people are reporting a couple years of good looking hard black trim using a product called penatrol from home depot. You could call them and ask if it blocks UV.