PDA

View Full Version : Home Bagged Vacuum

Pages : [1] 2

ShakingHorizons
06-09-2017, 10:25 AM
The wife and I are in the market for a new bagged vacuum. We currently have a bagless Eureka that is just gross. We have 70% carpet, 25% hardwood, and 5% tile. We went and looked at Miele and Simplicity, and really like the Miele. We left without purchasing anything due to the salesman being an ass. Anyway, I started researching the Miele last night and found a lot of comments about them clogging, which has thrown me off.

Anyway, looking for suggestions in the $600 and under range.

512detail
06-09-2017, 10:49 AM
are Kirby vacuums still around? I think they had a bag

somebody came by my door a few years ago I think they were peddling them

not sure if those were even that great as I know nothing about vacuums except I should probably buy a new one myself

tom p.
06-09-2017, 11:10 AM
I bought a couple of the Oreck vacuums on CL that were new. $100 each or so...they run great and certainly have nice, large bags that are mostly e-z to change, Shaking.

Ohhh, if Panasonic still makes vacuums, they had some great products. I`ve got a couple of those, too.

Consumer Report used to favor the Sears product. Don`t know if that`s still the case. Got a couple of those, too :)

LEDetailng
06-09-2017, 11:41 AM

not sure if those were even that great as I know nothing about vacuums except I should probably buy a new one myself

My MIL has a 5 year old Kirby. That vacuum feels and looks like it`s built to last 50 years. I`ve always enjoyed vacuuming, even when I was a kid.

The Kirby does a very nice job. Think MIL paid around $1k for hers.

GearHead_1
06-09-2017, 11:58 AM

not sure if those were even that great as I know nothing about vacuums except I should probably buy a new one myselfKirby is still around and they make a very high quality vacuum. That said, you couldn`t touch one for under $1000 through a door to door salesman. These are vacuums that are made to be repaired when broken and not just a disposable item. I don`t think the way they`ve looked has changed since the 60`s. I have 2 Kirby`s.

512detail
06-09-2017, 12:00 PM
My MIL has a 5 year old Kirby. That vacuum feels and looks like it`s built to last 50 years. I`ve always enjoyed vacuuming, even when I was a kid.

The Kirby does a very nice job. Think MIL paid around $1k for hers.

Kirby is still around and they make a very high quality vacuum. That said, you couldn`t touch one for under $1000 through a door to door salesman. These are vacuums that are made to be repaired when broken and not just a disposable item. I don`t think the way they`ve looked has changed since the 60`s. I have 2 Kirby`s.

silly me, and I thought 600 was an expensive vacuum

I like the idea of being able to replace parts that break though

GearHead_1
06-09-2017, 12:06 PM
silly me, and I thought 600 was an expensive vacuum

I like the idea of being able to replace parts that break thoughI know of people going to the Kirby repair shops to purchase the vacuum and to avoid the door to door salesman and also saved a few bucks. They don`t advertise this and for the most part these are still sold door to door.

GearHead_1
06-09-2017, 12:13 PM
Saw this on OverStock. This is a refurb but has many of the desireable accessories. Looks like it includes the wet shampooer. That`s about a $200 option. I have nothing but good to say about these vacuums. We had/have a Dyson top of the line also and I thought it was the cats meow until we got the Kirby, it just cleans better.

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Kirby-Avalir-16-inch-Upright-Vacuum-Cleaner-with-Cleaning-Accessories-and-Tools-Refurbished/11842264/product.html?recset=d52d84c4-ee76-401a-bbb3-2baea984f609&refccid=3IUCPF3LFIRYEQCMS4LW7JHWQE&recalg=879,873,839&recidx=2

TheCougarGuy
06-09-2017, 12:20 PM
Anyway, I started researching the Miele last night and found a lot of comments about them clogging, which has thrown me off.

I`ve had my Miele Upright (Salsa model) for about 5 or 6 years and I absolutely love it. I`ve never had a problem with it clogging.

trashmanssd
06-09-2017, 12:25 PM
We have Central Vac by Electolux in the our current home, but last house we bought a Electrolux that was 600-800 new and that thing still runs and still has great power and never fails. It is now 21 years old and does mostly duty down in my man cave in the basement. I know their newer ones are made by someone else but there older model are amazing. That Kirby looks like one of the few vacs made currently that is not a throw away after 2 years.

Crooz1n
06-09-2017, 02:30 PM
Just saw a Kirby Gen 3 on the bay for 125.00. We got suckered into buying our in 1987 and it was about 1000.00 . That said its still going strong and I have just had a few repairs( impeller broke when my daughter sucked up a handful of quarters) and a couple plastic parts. so I guess overall its been a good purchase.
AND A COMPLETE REFURBISHED KIRBY GERERATION 5 WITH ALL ATTACHMENTS FOR $229: THATS A DEAL!!

ShakingHorizons
06-09-2017, 07:35 PM
Wife said absolutely not on the Kirby. She and I both don`t care for the front end disassembly to use the attachments.

GearHead_1
06-09-2017, 08:39 PM
Wife said absolutely not on the Kirby. She and I both don`t care for the front end disassembly to use the attachments.Took my wife all of 3 minutes to get that down. Changes take a few seconds. I think that`s part of the industrial nature of the machine. It`s very serviceable.

Civicclutch
06-09-2017, 10:04 PM
I know it`s bagless but I like the rainbow system as it used water for the filter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lxjeremy
06-09-2017, 10:24 PM
This may be slightly unhelpful as it doesn`t have a bag but I just bought a Dyson Animal 2 and it`s truly a blast. I love vacuuming for some reason, but prior to the Dyson I was just using some random bagged vacuum. I do it 3-4 times a week minimum with two dogs and a significant other that leaves a trail of blonde everywhere. I have both carpet and hard wood as well.

The first day I used the Dyson you could SEE the stuff the other vacuum wasn`t picking up there was A LOT. It was insane. It is a bit heavy, but the ball makes it easy to maneuver. Comes with all the attachments you`d ever need and the animal hair attachment as well for pets. Was around $400ish. The canister couldn`t be any easier to dump out and has been mess-free for me every time.

A small but important note imo; one time I accidentally ran over a bunch of dryer sheets. By accidentally I mean I wanted to see what would happen. Ate every one of them, didn`t get stuck in the brushes, didn`t clog the hoses or anything. Sucked them up and spit them into the canister. Now the lint, hair and dust inside smells of fresh linen.