PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Rubber/Trim: Griot`s Options VS an All Purpose Cleaner

Oneheadlite
06-07-2017, 05:05 PM
Looking to clean and dress some rubber trim like windshield surrounds and window seals, as well as plastic like grill inserts. One of these days I`m sure I`ll get to cleaning and properly treating my tires as well.

Currently on hand, I have:
Griot`s Garage Paint Prep and their Pre-wax Cleanser (now discontinued according to their site?)
Optimum Power Clean, Optimum Paint Prep
McKee`s N-914

I`ve also been looking at the Griot`s site (OK, I admit: I have a gift card for there to use up) at their Rubber Prep or Rubber Cleaner. Can anyone chime in with the real world difference between them?

Any of the rubber/trim I have isn`t in bad shape, I just want to have a good clean base before I apply Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant. My initial plan was to just use Power Clean diluted down, but then got to (over)thinking about what would be the best thing on hand to use.

It`s also a case of trying to use up what I have sitting on the shelf - Maybe I`m missing something, but Paint Prep (advertised as a pre-polishing stripping step) now seems kind of redundant to me knowing that polishing would remove whatever is left on the paint. The now discontinued pre-wax cleanser was listed as being Citrus based, but also as having surfactants - wondering if it proved to not be compatible with their new products? Perhaps these questions might be better off as a standalone thread.

Thanks for any input!

Accumulator
06-08-2017, 01:21 PM
Just IMO/IME, but...

Griot`s Rubber Prep. Period. For those jobs that matter (like this one), not for everyday use (it`d be fine, but overkill). Great on Exterior Plastics too and it`s never interfered with my Trim Sealants.