PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Could Use Some Advice....Too Many Choices Out There!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

OzzieMike
06-05-2017, 12:22 PM
I`m hoping some here can offer me some advice...

I`m not a professional...I clean my cars (only 2....a blue 2013 Toyota Rav4 and a brand new 2017 white Ford Edge) and no others.

Looking thru the boards and stores, there are an overwhelming number of choices when it comes to DA polishers, clay strategies, polishes, and waxes. I`m hoping some here can point me in the right direction.

Till now, I`ve only washed/waxed my cars by hand (using the 2-bucket method). But, as I`m nearly 63, I don`t look forward to waxing anymore, as it`s a lot of work. So I`m considering a DA polisher system...but don`t know what to buy. I`d thought I`d zeroed in on the Porter Cable 7324XP (? I think that`s the one)...then I saw some rave reviews of the Griot`s 6" DA machine. So I really don`t know what most here would recommend.

And then...after I choose the DA machine, I see there`s an obscene number of pads to choose from. I can`t see myself removing scratches or anything "heavy duty" like that...I really just want to polish/wax the cars. Some pads say they have a small amount of "cut" to them and are recommended for cleaner waxes (I usually use Meguiar`s NXT2 wax)...then other pads that have no cut to them, also recommended for the same type of wax. So I don`t know what I need here.

And if there`s a brand of wax/polish I should be using, advice in this would be welcome, too.

Apologies in advance if these questions are too basic for your consideration...LOL

Accumulator
06-05-2017, 12:37 PM
OzzieMike- Fellow non-pro here. And I don`t spend one unnecessary minute on this stuff any more.

I`ll let somebody who`s more current recommend pads, but between the PCXP and the GG 6" I`d absolutely take the latter, hands-down. Great warranty and no "hollow drive shaft" issue to potentially spoil your day if it breaks.

I`d recommend an All-In-One product to do the occasional paint prep (I`m kinda partial to Zaino`s AIO), and then *definitely* FK1000P for your wax as it doesn`t need redone nearly as often as most anything else out there (NXT isn`t even *CLOSE*). I`m currently using it on most of our vehicles (including a blue one) and it looks *GREAT* on white too.

No need to get all extreme about this stuff; having a great looking vehicle with minimal upkeep isn`t all that tough as long as you avoid the Curse of Autopia, where everything has to be perfect all the time ;)

And...[INSERT good-natured quip about how "nearly 63" isn`t even close to "old"; my father didn`t start detailing, or even hand-washing, his cars until he was in his 70s]

OzzieMike
06-05-2017, 01:14 PM
Accumulator....thank you very much for your advice. I know my son in law has been happy with his PCXP, so I`m sure it`s a fine unit...but it sure does sound like the GG6 might be a better way to go. As I`m only using it on my cars, I could afford to be without it for a period of time should the need arise I need to take advantage of their warranty.

I`ll look up Zaino`s AIO and FK1000P and see what those are about...I appreciate the tip.

I`ve used Meguiar`s clay bar kits in the past with good results...but if there`s something out there I should be considering, I`d definitely look at it. (Just noticed I`m out of the Quic Detailer spray, so I`ve got to get something soon).

Hoping some here can help on which pads I should be looking at if I go with the GG6.

Thanks again!

TroyScherer
06-05-2017, 01:48 PM
The first question I would ask is do you want a machine for correction or simply to apply a wax. If you are looking for somthing just to apply a wax I would point you towards the neweer WOWA (wipe on Walk Away) sealants. They are so fast and easy I can do a your car in 10-15 min. It is faster and easier than pulling out a buffer for sure.

Synthetic paint sealants (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/paint-sealants.html#)

Optimum Opti-Seal - The Original WOWA
BLACKFIRE Crystal Seal Paint Sealant
Ultima Paint Guard Plus
Wolfgang Deep Gloss Liquid Seal
CarPro Reload
CarPro Hydro2 - Apply to a wet car and wash off. So I just add this step to your wash process once a month or so.

Ronkh
06-05-2017, 01:52 PM
The first question I would ask is do you want a machine for correction or simply to apply a wax. If you are looking for somthing just to apply a wax I would point you towards the neweer WOWA (wipe on Walk Away) sealants. They are so fast and easy I can do a your car in 10-15 min. It is faster and easier than pulling out a buffer for sure.

Synthetic paint sealants (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/paint-sealants.html#)

Optimum Opti-Seal - The Original WOWA
BLACKFIRE Crystal Seal Paint Sealant
Ultima Paint Guard Plus
Wolfgang Deep Gloss Liquid Seal

GYEON Q2M Cure
GYEON WetCoat - Apply toa a wet car and wash off. Soi just add this step to your wash process once a month or so.

^^ this ^^

No fuss, no bother. Unless you want the fuss and bother.

Boden
06-05-2017, 05:09 PM
Another vote to skip the DA and get some Opti-seal.

OzzieMike
06-05-2017, 06:43 PM
Good points made about going to something like Opti-Seal. And that would probably be fine for my brand new Edge...but my wife`s RAV4 desperately needs some correction before I apply any wax. So I know I want a machine to speed up the work on her car...as well as make applying wax or sealant on my car faster.

rlmccarty2000
06-05-2017, 07:04 PM
Get the GG polisher and get the Meguires microfiber polishing kit. It comes with everything you need to remove scratches and swirls. I would buy the new clay "mitt" instead of the clay bar and I would buy some Iron-X to decontaminate the cars. With the Iron-x, the clay mitt, the polisher and kit (in that order) you should have nice shiny cars! I`m almost 59 so I`m not far behind you. Just take a lot of Motrin before and after detailing. Lol

Mike lambert
06-05-2017, 07:13 PM
I would look at a system from Griot`s, makes everything easier to get started. Try the poly wax, excellent sealant and durable. And if you don`t like it they take it back.

trashmanssd
06-05-2017, 07:33 PM
The Groits GG6 is a good machine but if you can afford the upgrade I would say go Groit`s G15 or G21. They are a lot smoother, noticeably quieter. I find using my G21 with 5" backing plate and pads way less fatiguing. My GG6 and from what I have heard the Porter Cable cause numbness of the hands from the vibrations and my ears end up ringing from the noise, neither happens from my G21. (G21 was recommended to me by Justin)
For pads Lake Country ThinPro Foam Pads 5.5" with 5" backing plate, I would use these with either the GG6 or G21/G15 in white and black for what you are looking for, (Also recommended to me by Justin)
Clay, I would go clay towel or 5" clay disc either NanoSkin or Speedy Prep Towel both get great reviews and I wont go back to regular clay my hands cant handle the kneading.
Polish, there are a lot very good polishes out there. Currently one i have used or want to use do to rave reviws are in no particular order. 3D AAT Finishing Polish, Meguiars 205 Ultra Fine Polish (used my self its the most commonly used and works well no complaints), Menzerna Super Finish (SF-3500) 8 oz (used my self works great and I like it better than 205 but its more $$$), Jescar Top Finish Machine Glaze (Menzerna`s new line simplified just 1 each compound and polish), Poorboy`s World SSR1 Light Abrasive Swirl Remover (Gets good reviews and is not to $$ and PoorBoy`s is always good), Griots Garage BOSS Perfecting Cream and Correcting Cream (both on my short list as they have been getting rave reviews). yeah polishes lots good ones with slight difference from each to each.
Lots good recomendations for sealants I ill add one more if yu already trust and like Meguiars, Meguiars Ultimate Fast Finish (used it liked it super simple and I like spraying it on applicator rub it on and wipe it off with a clean mirco.

Accumulator
06-06-2017, 03:09 PM
OzzieMike- For the QD, here`s a Q for you: what are you going to use it for?

I was pretty into QDs for quite a while, and extremely particular about which QD I used for what on which vehicle. But ever since I tried using Garry Dean`s Infinite Use Detail Juice ("IUDJ", a Rinseless Wash that can be mixed to varying strengths, including QD-strength), I`ve basically grown disenchanted with *all* of my numerous QDs and now I`m basically just trying to use them up, whereupon I`ll probably be using IUDJ exclusively.

Note that I`m generally *NOT* a fan of Rinseless Washes, period. But after using that stuff in place of my QDs, well...can`t argue with success.

BTW, that G15 Polisher that others have recommended is undoubtedly a step up from the GG6 and is on my radar should I decide to buy more polishers. If you`re the least bit concerned with vibration/"white finger" then spend the extra to get it instead of the GG6.

I would *NOT* use a "clay towel" unless you do in fact plan to do correction. I *never* use them because I will not risk any marring of my paint. Not hating on them, but I honestly believe they`re only for people do are willing to do correction afterwards.

Eh, IMO you might oughta give thought to the "will I (really, ever) do correction?" before you go much farther with this. No, no...I`m not gonna nudge you in the direction of yes/maybe. IMO you can often have "best in the parking lot" results without doing that.

Accumulator
06-06-2017, 03:11 PM
OzzieMike- Oh gee, I rushed through that last post without reading about the Rav4 needing some correction.

Given that, yeah...IMO Mike Lambert is spot-on with his "buy a Griot`s system" recommendation. I`d spend the extra for the Boss15.

OzzieMike
06-06-2017, 06:03 PM
Accumulator...thank you for more sage wisdom!

Just FYI....I use the QD as a lubricant with the clay bar. I`ve had good results with the Meguiar`s brand, and just picked up more of their QD today.

So I will now see how much the Boss15 will hurt. I`m sure my spouse wouldn`t be happy with the GG6 machine...my guess is the Boss15 will cause heart palpitations and the evil death stare. ��

(BTW...I see you`ve posted almost 78,000 times here. Ummm....when do you find time for your car? ��)

ShawnF350
06-06-2017, 06:25 PM
Use a coating on that new Edge.

danlc95
06-07-2017, 06:29 AM
A random orbital would definitely take a lot of the work out of the process.

I like the Porter Cable tool. The 7424xp is awesome, buy I actually prefer the pre-xp unit. It`s smaller, lighter, and I`m rarely if ever over speed 5 with it.

From there, for you I`d pick up some polishing pads, and finishing pads. On the Porter Cable I`ve always had great results with blue Buff and Shine foam pads, and red finishing pads (for the sealant/wax).

Something like Meguiar`s M205 Ultra Finishing Polish, and M21 Synthetic Sealant 2.0 would probably be a good match. I might personally substitute Duragloss 111 for the M21.

Meguiar`s D156 seems to be a popular spray on sealant. I use a lot of Duragloss 951 Aquawax.