PDA

View Full Version : 3M Security window tint

LEDetailng
06-04-2017, 06:09 PM
Basically a 4mm thick layer of window tint that holds the tempered glass shards in one big sheet. Not much of a deterrent in my opinion. The guy who smashes your window will just kick in the big sheet of glass and still steal your stuff.

Link:
Access Denied: 3M’s New Window Film Aims to Foil Break-Ins (W/Video) (http://www.motortrend.com/news/access-denied-3ms-new-window-film-is-intended-to-deter-break-ins-354393/)

lxjeremy
06-04-2017, 06:20 PM
Seems like a gimmick. I`m pretty sure just plain ol tint does that to a certain extent anyway. In either case the thief is inside your car in under a minute.

rlmccarty2000
06-04-2017, 06:36 PM
3M should just say it is an added benefit, but I doubt anyone is stupid enough to buy tint film just to slow down a thief for a few seconds (maybe).

PRND[S]
06-04-2017, 09:35 PM
4mm? Really? That is 5/32 inches and would interfere with rolling down the side windows, while being superfluous on the windshield.

Edit: I just looked at the article, and the film is 4mils thick, not 4mm. That is comparable to other window films.

Accumulator
06-05-2017, 12:22 PM
Some companies that outfit Security Vehicles have used stuff like that for years, and it works well within reasonable limits; whole different ballgame compared to regular tint films, not even close.

IF the 3M stuff is relatively marring-resistant, good in the optical sense, and as tough as the older stuff, then it might be a nice improvement over what was previously available. I seriously considered such stuff at one time, but the older versions had too many downsides (unless you replace it regularly and that`d be awfully pricey).

I never thought of it as much of a *theft* deterrent, but rather a way of slowing down the ingress of somebody with, uhm...other crimes in mind, and a better means of avoiding a faceful of glass during such incidents. And maybe it`ll buy somebody those critical two seconds that can make all the difference. Good on 3M for this one.

Migue
06-05-2017, 12:42 PM
Looks like they`re trying to expand, they already sell these for Home security but a lot thicker and effective (based on side by side video comparisons) . I would like to have the Home ones for my windows and sliding doors, looks like it gives the thief a good workout before being able to access your Home and if you have an alarm it may cause them to give up and flee.

LEDetailng
06-05-2017, 12:48 PM
;2110985`]4mm? Really? That is 5/32 inches and would interfere with rolling down the side windows, while being superfluous on the windshield.

Edit: I just looked at the article, and the film is 4mils thick, not 4mm. That is comparable to other window films.

Whoops.. sorry about that. Quite a difference between 4 mils and 4mm. Wasn`t thinking when I typed that. Got the 4 part right at least:)

PRND[S]
06-05-2017, 01:31 PM
I would like to have the Home ones for my windows and sliding doors, looks like it gives the thief a good workout before being able to access your Home and if you have an alarm it may cause them to give up and flee.
I don`t think it would be very effective for that purpose either, at least not in the typical retrofit application. The glass/security film combination would need to be held very firmly in the frame in order for it to prevent ingress, otherwise the burglar would just push the shattered glass/security film combination out of the frame.

Accumulator
06-06-2017, 03:22 PM
Same thing with the household glass, if it buys a couple of extra seconds (literally just two) that can make all the difference. If you`re gone and they get in, OK...they can steal stuff. If they`re up to something worse, something that involves your being there, then anything that tilts the odds is a good idea.

I mean...the ability to smash glass isn`t really necessary to gain illicit access since most anybody`d just use a glass cutter instead, which I`d certainly expect to cut right through the film too (and if it doesn`t then that`d still be easy to do with something else once the glass has been compromised).

Though for a *business* I can sure see it, oughta defeat the casual smash-and-grab quite effectively. A lot of those really *are* casual, over-and-done in a moment or they give up.

The Driver
06-07-2017, 02:53 PM
E5 Glass > 3M "security" film

One of the best OE mods I did to my ride.

Accumulator
06-07-2017, 03:07 PM
The Driver- More info, please :D

The Driver
06-07-2017, 03:48 PM
So all manufacturers are required to label which glass they use, tempered, regular etc. I don`t know all the codes but I do know for Volvo it`s E5 which is their code for laminated glass. Laminated glass is actually 2 sheets with a film in between, it`s insanely strong but more importantly, it KILLS noise (Esp wind noise). Also great if you find yourself driving through an angry mob!

Same windows I have in my R, this is just a wagon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T69ttynGiTE

Also note, I`ve switched out all my glass including mirrors for euro spec. It`s a million times better! European spec mirrors require a wide angle veiwing on the edges. Also installed a Convex rear view mirror as well. All together it makes driving 1000x better.

PRND[S]
06-07-2017, 06:17 PM
How do European first responders deal with that glass? I guess it takes a tungsten spike or something similar to break it.

Accumulator
06-08-2017, 01:14 PM
The Driver- Ah, interesting...thanks!

PRND[S]- And that was my next Q ;)