PDA

View Full Version : re-paint ...options

Focusedonsound
06-23-2006, 01:35 PM
My brother has a 1992 Jeep Wrangler (yj) that he is restoring. He is actually just about done w/ all of the work ...and is just going to enjoy driving it for the summer.....with that said

He plans on having the jeep re-painted late winter early spring of next year. He is painting the jeep a Copper Orange color (If anyone watches trucks ...The same color as "Project Copper Head")

We were discussing it last night ....What is the best process to go with on a repaint? Single stage, Base Coat/Clear Coat...other options...

thanks for the help

GregCavi
06-23-2006, 04:17 PM
I think its hard to beat BC/CC personally.

Greg

G35stilez
06-23-2006, 04:24 PM
Base Coat/ Clear Coat

If I were him, I`d look into getting CeramiClear for the clear...Especially with a Jeep, it would make taking care of it very easy.

gbackus
06-23-2006, 04:43 PM
Base Coat/ Clear Coat

If I were him, I`d look into getting CeramiClear for the clear...Especially with a Jeep, it would make taking care of it very easy.

Unfortunately, there is no refinish material available for ceramiclear at this time.

Beemerboy
06-23-2006, 04:49 PM
Does he plan on taking it off road allot threw brush and the likes of that?

Clear coat scratches real easy and shows everything, single stage you can buff out allot easier but its more work to maintain in some cases

Focusedonsound
06-23-2006, 05:08 PM
I doubt that it will ever see any off road trails as long as he owns it! Its going to be a mean looking road queen... 5" of lift!

Its getting painted for free all he has to pay for is the Paint esentially... So if it costs a lil extra for better materials I don`t think he will be upset!

Beemerboy
06-23-2006, 05:12 PM
I doubt that it will ever see any off road trails as long as he owns it! Its going to be a mean looking road queen... 5" of lift!

Its getting painted for free all he has to pay for is the Paint esentially... So if it costs a lil extra for better materials I don`t think he will be upset!

Go clear coat then and wet sand between base coats so that its real smooth when you lay down the clear....Back in the mid 60`s I did a 66 stang with my Dad who was a good auto painter....26 coats of lacquer wet sanded between each coat...it was like a mirror ...wish we would have had clear back then

Focusedonsound
06-23-2006, 05:18 PM
Go clear coat then and wet sand between base coats so that its real smooth when you lay down the clear....Back in the mid 60`s I did a 66 stang with my Dad who was a good auto painter....26 coats of lacquer wet sanded between each coat...it was like a mirror ...wish we would have had clear back then

26 coats seems a lil excessive lol ....but then again this is Detail city. But being that the color he is doing is a metallic im sure the better the prep process the better the end result!

Beemerboy
06-23-2006, 05:34 PM
26 coats seems a lil excessive lol ....but then again this is Detail city. But being that the color he is doing is a metallic im sure the better the prep process the better the end result!

That was how you got a real deep wet looking paint with single stage in those days...then you componded, polsihed and waxed