PDA

View Full Version : Stainless steel step bars????

Spike
06-21-2006, 11:43 PM
My truck has stainless steel step bars (Nerf bars) that are thrashed, what can I do to get them polished and shiney???? I`ve tried Flitz and other compounds but it barely phased it. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Beemerboy
06-22-2006, 09:18 AM
My truck has stainless steel step bars (Nerf bars) that are thrashed, what can I do to get them polished and shiney???? I`ve tried Flitz and other compounds but it barely phased it. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Spike Welcome to the site....what do you mean by (barely phazed it) is there rust on the bars or are they scratched.... alittle more info would be helpful in suggesting something...thanks

Spike
06-22-2006, 09:53 AM
Beemerboy,

Thanks for the welcome. I`m new at this but getting into it, fun to watch the change and improvement in a vehicles appearance.

The bars are extremely scratched (no rust). The Flitz cleaned them up but didn`t do anything to remove the scratch marks or polish them for shine. I`ll try to get pictures later today, that might help.

Beemerboy
06-22-2006, 10:05 AM
Beemerboy,

Thanks for the welcome. I`m new at this but getting into it, fun to watch the change and improvement in a vehicles appearance.

The bars are extremely scratched (no rust). The Flitz cleaned them up but didn`t do anything to remove the scratch marks or polish them for shine. I`ll try to get pictures later today, that might help.

The scratches in the chrome are not coming out its etched into the chrome....I had some just like it on a Jeep....a dedicated chrome polish with your Flitz ball would help and could take some of the lighter scratches out....I like Zephyr for this but there is also Poorboys Pro-polish that would work just as well and have allot more uses in your details...both of these are available from the sponsors on this site check the sponsor links...you could also check your local auto supply stores for over the counter stuff like Mothers, Meguiars and the likes of those that will do a good job as well

The reason that your compound is not making them shine is compound leaves a haze on them and that`s what you are seeing.....the polish will have a much more desirable effect on the chrome.....let us know how that works

JaredPointer
06-26-2006, 08:33 AM
My truck has stainless steel step bars (Nerf bars) that are thrashed, what can I do to get them polished and shiney????

Buy new step bars. Seriously, if they`re "trashed" that`s the only thing you can do to get them looking new again.