PDA

View Full Version : Aside from Poorboys......

mobiledynamics
04-03-2017, 06:48 PM
Aside from Poorboys......, and nick over @M37, where did all the detailing manuf reps go. Schilling aside, there was a time when employees of the manuf., USA distributors of imported brands, etc liked to discuss their products with fellow *consumers*. The silence cannot be ignored no more :ph34r: I just had to ask...

Lonnie
04-03-2017, 06:58 PM
When was last time you saw a major company CEO "selling" his/her products on TV? I can only remember Lee Iaccoca and the Chrysler cars in the early 80`s.
I`m not talking infomercial`s on late night TV of inventors/entrepreneurs selling their developments or sports stars or coaches plugging a product.

I really think social media and the internet (including this forum) are the advertising vehicles of the 21st century. Just as internet sales are "replacing" (or more correctly displacing) brick-and-mortar stores (like JC Penny and Sears-Kmart), so it is in advertising. One exception: Prescription drugs/medicine. That`s all that TV ads consist of these days.

Bill D
04-03-2017, 07:01 PM
The closest person I can think of is Barry Meguiar but he`s more into the pure car enthusiast aspect of the hobby rather than products

mobiledynamics
04-03-2017, 07:11 PM
I can`t put my exact timing on it, but it`s as if one days, both pro shop owners and detailing product. manf. reps, just hung their hat and all checked out of the forums...

Bill D
04-03-2017, 07:19 PM
Maybe they hang out on Facebook now

Mr. Slick
04-03-2017, 08:33 PM
I can`t put my exact timing on it, but it`s as if one days, both pro shop owners and detailing product. manf. reps, just hung their hat and all checked out of the forums...

Same. Great detailers like KB, Superior Shine etc I think used to be around

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Swanicyouth
04-03-2017, 08:45 PM
It`s not worth their time for the traffic the forums get. I think people like us that frequent these forums are a minority.

WaxAddict
04-03-2017, 08:46 PM
Take for example Collinite, Duragloss, or Zymol - companies like that - they probably sell 20, 30 cans a year based us yaking about stuff. (whaddia think ?) It may not be in their best interest, time-wise, to hang here. Then there`s companies that likely are in the same mindset as CarPro, where I recall, on here or AG, a rep specifically said that they want "the community" to sort stuff out themselves.

I can understand that a rep doesn`t want to get in the middle of a discussion about topping this sealant with that wax or whatever, when the end result might be a few units sold, when they can`t afford to keep up that momentum on other threads, and people are like "where`d he go?". They have to commit to it or just don`t do it. My 2c.

mobiledynamics
04-03-2017, 08:52 PM
CP *CC or AV*, 1Z Mike, etc, many come to mind...

OT, but gotta give credit where credit is due. Back when TH ran the forum and the store, I really miss his in depth technical postings if not short ones. He brought alot of insight and criticism to both big and small brands.

JSFM35X
04-03-2017, 09:24 PM
I think they just gave up. No matter want they said the only things that move inventory are when Ron orders something. I think they just wine and dine him at this point. I was at his house and mentally counted about 65k in detailing supplies. He is like those preppers but for detailing supplies. He home is cleaned by an actual polish angel. To took a selfie with her when she was making us a schnitzel on the BBQ.

But seriously- he has more in stock than ag and Autopia. Rumor is he ships stuff when their out.

rwright
04-04-2017, 03:40 AM
One thing I can vouch for is the expense of a dedicated forum or sub-forum here. I checked into a couple different forums, one wanted $350/month just to have my own section, the other wanted $900/month and I was limited to starting 5 threads but unlimited responses. With social media catering to the on demand mentality for free, there`s little incentive for small companies to pay for forum space. Forums do offer searchable info as long as moderators do not delete the thread, but Facebook groups offer that as well.

JBM
04-04-2017, 07:02 AM
I think companies simply created their own groups on facebook.

JustJesus
04-04-2017, 11:26 AM
... I checked into a couple different forums, one wanted $350/month just to have my own section, the other wanted $900/month..With social media catering to the on demand mentality for free, there`s little incentive for small companies to pay for forum space...

WOW. That`s a nice chunk of change, especially for a new, small company that is just starting off (not addressing anyone in particular). If I were starting one, I think I`d stick to instagram. I`m not a fan of Facebook.

Poorboy
04-04-2017, 12:49 PM
one thing that I have observed over the years is that most chemical / detailng companies are not run by "Autopians" ... I have met a good number of the people who make products that most Autopian`s use, and they are "chemical" people not necessarily detailers ...

As stated also the boards are not what drives the profit for most companies, but it is a good place to get feedback and share information :)