PDA

View Full Version : 1962 thunderbird aluminum interior

dj55b
04-02-2017, 02:05 PM
Hey Guys,

Wondering if any of you have any idea to restore this interior panelling in the most efficient way. I don`t think from factory that this was a mirror finish, but I think more of a matte finish. Would you think that using a red or green scotch Brite, would work best ?

This isn`t just on here, it goes on through the door panels aswell, so there`s quite a bit of area to cover.

Thanks in advance !

Buster906
04-02-2017, 02:24 PM
I have had positive results using magic erasers for many detailing issues or perhaps try brasso

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

dschribs
04-02-2017, 05:57 PM
I`d try doing some research on a Thunderbird specific forum before I did anything at all to that trim. There`s no going back if you damage it.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

NLove
04-02-2017, 09:31 PM
It sounds like they might actually be clear coated. Could you do a small test spot with metal polish and see if the applicator or microfiber (whatever media you are using) turns black? If it doesn`t it has clear coat. This link might be helpful: Aluminum Interior Trim - Vintage Thunderbird Club International (http://vintagethunderbirdclub.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=4146)

Accumulator
04-03-2017, 01:31 PM
I`d try doing some research on a Thunderbird specific forum before I did anything at all to that trim. There`s no going back if you damage it.

THAT!! I`d be leery as all get-out about touching that with something abrasive and I`d want to hear from somebody who *judges* those cars in top-shelf concourses.

My mother had one of those when I was a kid and I can *almost* remember...if I had to guess I`d say it was brightly polished to a chrome-like finish with a satin finish between the shiny ribs.

I`d be astounded if it had been clearcoated as they just weren`t doining much of that back then and clears were basically just lacquer. I`d about bet my life that it wasn`t coated with anything that most of today`s detailers are familar with.

Sure hope it doesn`t get trashed, somebody who *knows* this stuff will say that not doing the wrong thing is utterly critical to the car`s appeal...and value.

NLove
04-03-2017, 03:30 PM
THAT!! I`d be leery as all get-out about touching that with something abrasive and I`d want to hear from somebody who *judges* those cars in top-shelf concourses.

My mother had one of those when I was a kid and I can *almost* remember...if I had to guess I`d say it was brightly polished to a chrome-like finish with a satin finish between the shiny ribs.

I`d be astounded if it had been clearcoated as they just weren`t doining much of that back then and clears were basically just lacquer. I`d about bet my life that it wasn`t coated with anything that most of today`s detailers are familar with.

Sure hope it doesn`t get trashed, somebody who *knows* this stuff will say that not doing the wrong thing is utterly critical to the car`s appeal...and value.

I agree completely in regards to your statement about "I`d about bet my life that it wasn`t coated with anything that most of today`s detailers are familiar with."

NLove
04-03-2017, 03:45 PM
I guess at the end of the day it depends what end result your are going for. Above I had stated you could do a test spot if you wanted to find out if it was coated or not, I should have added some digression in my statement. In no way would I want you to do something to jeopardize the value of your vehicle. Sometimes people want their vehicles to look better and it is not a concern if they are 100% original. If this is what you are going for and were trying to figure out how to make it look better it would get you a start. I think Accumulator and dschribs hit the nail on the head. Sorry guys if my first post came out wrong.

Ronkh
04-03-2017, 03:49 PM
Suggestion........

Call ag and ask Mike Phillips?

Accumulator
04-04-2017, 12:46 PM
Or contact somebody from an Early Bird Club.

NLove- No no....no worries, and I hope I didn`t come across like a crotchety Old Guy. I just have a soft spot for originality these days and also for the vehicles I grew up in. I have fond memories of my mother`s TBird even though it was an unreliable POS that was constantly in the shop until she gave up on it and switched to MOPARs.