PDA

View Full Version : PB Black Hole + ? Wax

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

etnops
03-27-2017, 08:24 PM
Hi,

Friend just purchased a pristine 1987 Grand National, with excellent single stage black paint. The car has been cared for, and it shows. However, all of the caring comes with light swirls.

There`s a car show coming up this weekend, and he`d like my help with getting a good finish.
While I`d usually opt for paint correction - there`s simply no time. Which leads me to an application of Black Hole, plus an unknown wax.

I`ve got a plethora at my disposal. Natty`s Blue and Black. Fuzion. Souveran. P21S 100%. FK1000p. Etc etc.
The goal here is to hide/fill the swirls, and get a good wet looking finish. Black Hole is a no-brainer...question, just comes down to which type of "beauty" wax?

Initially, thinking Natty`s Black. But have thoughts about using Souveran as well.
While Natty`s Black will provide additional filling, I`m thinking the heavy oil content in Souveran may amp up the wetness/gloss. Suppose it comes down to how much will the Black Hole "fill", too...

Has anyone got experience with the above combo on single stage black?

Pictures to follow during the weekend.

Thanks in advance for input.

Bill D
03-27-2017, 08:32 PM
FWIW Souveran is the only beauty wax I need. If it`s good enough for concours quality cars, it`s good enough for me.

Civicclutch
03-27-2017, 10:08 PM
Two coats of nattys black topped with a coat of nattys black

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronkh
03-28-2017, 05:59 AM
1 coat bh machine - red pad, speed 2
1 coat bh by hand
1 coat natts blue
a few hours later, one coat natts blue by hand

at show spray and wipe or spray and gloss. If weather permits, one more coat natts blue at show or souveran (if weather permits)

etnops
03-28-2017, 10:06 AM
Thanks!

Any reason to use Natty`s Blue over the Black? What`s the main difference between these two waxes?
One fills less than another?

dschribs
03-28-2017, 10:10 AM
FWIW Souveran is the only beauty wax I need. If it`s good enough for concours quality cars, it`s good enough for me.

What he said...

512detail
03-28-2017, 10:13 AM
Thanks!

Any reason to use Natty`s Blue over the Black? What`s the main difference between these two waxes?
One fills less than another?
blue will give a brighter shine than black, if thats what youe going for...black just deepens and darkens like so
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170328/6c782631cb661f34fa57343222a7f293.jpg

512detail
03-28-2017, 10:14 AM
as far as filling...this is 1 blk hole via machine, 1 nattys black via hand

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170328/8ce736835fab8e2cab4f7ce5508abe86.jpg

dschribs
03-28-2017, 10:16 AM
1 coat bh machine - red pad, speed 2
1 coat bh by hand
1 coat natts blue
a few hours later, one coat natts blue by hand

at show spray and wipe or spray and gloss. If weather permits, one more coat natts blue at show or souveran (if weather permits)

Ron

Two coats of BH? Does that make a difference? I figured once a coat of glaze was on the paint that`s all you needed.

Poorboy
03-28-2017, 10:30 AM

FWIW .. Natty`s Blue has been on three Pebble Beach winners including best of show ;)

Poorboy
03-28-2017, 10:31 AM
Ron

Two coats of BH? Does that make a difference? I figured once a coat of glaze was on the paint that`s all you needed.

I guess us old timers still believe that a second coat can`t hurt and it may cover an area that might have been missed by accident ;)

512detail
03-28-2017, 11:32 AM
first by machine also cleans nicely so 2nd coat would add more glazing action

I`ve done Rons described process before and its a whole lotta shine!

Accumulator
03-28-2017, 12:41 PM
etnops- IMO this is utterly subjective and what you/the owner will prefer might not appeal to anybody else (and vice-versa). What won at Pebble (on what paint? on what car?) wouldn`t even enter my mind. (And lots of waxes say "used by Pebble Beach winners.." in their ad-copy).

FWIW, I don`t like "extreme gloss" on single stage black; I don`t like it to look like basecoat/clearcoat *at all*.

FWIW#2, I`m kinda glad it`s *not* being corrected as there are [darn] few GNs left in single stage.

FWIW Souveran is the only beauty wax I need...

That`s basically my stance as well, but I guess other people might have different preferences. But yeah, IMO it`s kinda freaky how Souveran looks so good to so many different people, on so many different paints/vehicles.

I`ve never used Natty`s, but it sounds like *I* would prefer the Black on this vehicle, rather than the Blue.

Ronkh
03-28-2017, 01:16 PM
I gave advice based on experience...

2 ccoats bh
1 by machine first, the next by hand
then nattys blue

The blue adds a richer/deeper look where black is mirror finish.

Since the GN is "vintage", that`s the look that`s intended.

Accumulator
03-28-2017, 01:26 PM
I gave advice based on experience...

Noted and given credence ;)

The blue adds a richer/deeper look where black is mirror finish.

Huh, OK..not what I would`ve expected from the othe posts.

So what *would* you prefer Black on?

Since the GN is "vintage", that`s the look that`s intended.

Sigh...[INSERT comment on a car from `87 being "vintage"]...it does sound like you and I are on the same page regarding our versions of "the correct look".