PDA

View Full Version : A reintroduction, discussion on soft paint, and a few questions about "durable fillers"

EBPcivicsi
03-13-2017, 08:36 AM
Hi everyone! I have been on Autopia for a bit and lurk when I can. I haven`t been able to be as active as I would have lilked over the last few years, but I hope to be around more in the furure. I hope all of my old friends are doing well! I am still doing the same thing..running my shop in Memphis, raising a family, etc.

I recently purchased a 05 Porsche Cayenne Turbo (the deal was too good to refuse)...it is jet black. I have done hundreds of Cayennes throughout the years and the paint seems to range from rock hard to butter soft (seems like most of the older ones were on the soft side). The paint on the truck that I have been working in is *very* soft. I corrected it 99% and was able to finish out (even with a FLEX) with several products..OPT polish, Menzerna PO85RD, M205, Griots finishing crème, etc. The aggravation comes when attempting to wipe these products off..the paint would mar with all of them except M205. All of the other products have more "grab" when removing them..the M205 you can wipe away with the softest of touches. I did try to a towel soaked in ONR to aid the other products in removal, but it made the marring worse(perhaps the fiberd "wicked" and made them more stiff). So I polished it to as close to practical perfection as I could with M205 (99%), then devised a plan to coat it. The problem was that Opticoat needed a paint prep wipe down(especially after M205), which I knew would mar the paint as it gets "grabby." Also, the Opticoat itself is certainly not slick upon initial wipe (removing high spots on the panel). My thought process was then was "how do I apply paint prep to the surface without using a towel?" I decided that I would use a finishing pad, spray the paint prep into the pad, apply to paint..worked great. Now I needed a way to remove the Opticoat without a towel. For this, I simply applied it as usual after the paint prep by hand with a new foam applicator, waited for it to flash (about 3 to 5 min), grabbed some Optiseal, sprayed Optiseal into a foam applicator, and used it to level high spots..worked great..only had a few high spots which I "tickled" off with an ultra plush MF. I then inspected the paint under various light sources and decided it was time to check it in the sun. I could see very faint "tracers" from the foam applicator pads...the paint is so soft that uneven pressure from the hand foam applicator lightly marred the paint. :mellow:

At this point, I switched gears...I was on the fifth day of correcting and thought I was in the final stages. I began to think about maintaining the paint after this. Even using the best and most careful washing/drying techniques, could I maintain it to suitable standards? So I pulled it back in, lightly polished it with M205...this wasn`t a quick buzz around either...in order for M205 to finish on this soft paint it took very slow arm speed, small sections, multiple pads ,etc. I put some NXT on it and pulled it out....I can live with that finish and looks like I will need to apply it monthly depending on how many times a week I wash it :D

So to my question...what products are you guys using LSP wise that have durable, long-term fillers? I need something quick, easy to wipe off (again, anything that grabs will cause cloth inflicted marring), and preferably not stain trim...

Anyone else have suggestions on a different approach? I really planned on correction, coating, maintain for a few years, lightly polish, recoat, maintain for a few years, etc. That changed once I started working on the paint!

Poorboy
03-13-2017, 09:08 AM
Welcome back :)

can`t help you with the products you have used, but Black Hole followed by a Liquid Natty`s is the least abrasive filling combo I can think of :bigups

EBPcivicsi
03-13-2017, 09:20 AM
Thanks!

I haven`t heard those names in years! Whatever happened to Natty? Or Boss429 for that matter?

I will check out the black hole/Natty combo...was hoping for a one step solution...I never have time to work on my own stuff anymore, so it needs to be quick :/

RaydiantDetail
03-13-2017, 09:55 AM
Love PB`s Black Hole.

On soft paints I also really like CarPro Essence on a Finishing Pad/ CP gloss pad. It is a sio2 primer for coatings but you can top it with anything and it also has LSP qualities since it lays down a layer of sio2. It has very fine abrasives (i think like reflect but less), filling capabilities, and really finishes to a glossy shine. Not sure on durability (lasts up to a year according to CP as standalone) as it is recommended to always top it with something like Reload (silica spray sealant), hydro2 or a coating (Cquartz/ UK or any quartz coating). Ive topped it with spray waxes/ waxes as well with no issues.

CarPro Essence Extreme Gloss Primer 500ml (16oz) (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/carpro-essence-16oz.html#.WMaymCgrKCg)

EBPcivicsi
03-13-2017, 10:06 AM
Love PB`s Black Hole.

On soft paints I also really like CarPro Essence on a Finishing Pad/ CP gloss pad. It is a sio2 primer for coatings but you can top it with anything and it also has LSP qualities since it lays down a layer of sio2. It has very fine abrasives (i think like reflect but less), filling capabilities, and really finishes to a glossy shine. Not sure on durability (lasts up to a year according to CP as standalone) as it is recommended to always top it with something like Reload (silica spray sealant), hydro2 or a coating (Cquartz/ UK or any quartz coating). Ive topped it with spray waxes/ waxes as well with no issues.

CarPro Essence Extreme Gloss Primer 500ml (16oz) (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/carpro-essence-16oz.html#.WMaymCgrKCg)

Funny you say that! I tried the "knock off" ( I guess you could say)

[url=http://www.karnauto.com/cat.asp?category=Chemicals&subcategory=Polishes]KARN Automotive Auto Dealer and Detail Supply - Chemicals Polishes and Glazes&sku=K086004[\URL]

This is made by a bulk blender that a lot of boutique companies use. I thought it would fit the bill...could not finish properly. I will get some of the "real deal" on my next order and give it a try. You have experience with it on soft black paint? Does it finish Menzerna-like?

Poorboy
03-13-2017, 10:17 AM
Thanks!

I haven`t heard those names in years! Whatever happened to Natty? Or Boss429 for that matter?

I will check out the black hole/Natty combo...was hoping for a one step solution...I never have time to work on my own stuff anymore, so it needs to be quick :/

Natty is fine and living in NJ .. Boss429 ???? If you wanted a one step then PwC blue will fill and remove like butter

RaydiantDetail
03-13-2017, 10:29 AM
TBH I have only used Menz 3500 of the Menz line. I mostly use the BOSS creams - Fast Correcting Cream, Correcting Cream and Perfecting cream. I almost always finish with CP Essence on a gloss pad.

I have used it on soft black japanese paint and most recently a black Saab 97x which was marring from even Perfecting cream on a light polishing pad and was finishing hazy.

Apologies about the image quality. This paint was very soft and I finished with Essence on a CP gloss pad after Correcting/ Perfecting cream.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33114&stc=1 http://www.autopia.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33115&stc=1http://www.autopia.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33116&stc=1http://www.autopia.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33117&stc=1

Accumulator
03-13-2017, 01:38 PM
EBPcivicsi- Welcome back! Glad all is well.

No decent advice from me...other than saying that I`m not a huge fan of M205 as a Final Polish even on *hard* clear, vastly preferring HD Polish/etc.

Heh heh, for fillers, you need whatever Hendrick`s used on that Yukon XLD that you did for me!

EBPcivicsi
03-13-2017, 01:59 PM
Accumulator! I was hoping that you would chime in!

I *much* prefer HD Polish myself, but the new formula (maybe they changed it, maybe they didn`t,but it is not the same) will not away like the old stuff...it marred upon removal. It was the first Polish that I tried as it always finished so nice! I really had to work the m205 to get it to finish, but had no other option with the removal issue :/

I still have nightmares about that Yukon! :D It was such a nice truck though..I remember how nice it was..even underneath

BadgerRivFan
03-13-2017, 02:29 PM
+2 on RaydiantDetail`s recommendation of finish polishing using CarPro Essence with a CarPro Gloss Pad, especially if you are going to do a coating for your LSP. Check out some of Merlin`s work here on the ACC forum using Essence on a number of different vehicles with soft paint.

Polish Angel products are also quite popular now as they work beautifully with the only downside being they are expensive. Their finishing polish/coating primer is called Invincible Primer. It`s designed to be used with their Cosmic coating, but can be used as a primer for other coatings as well. With a very soft finishing pad it also works well on soft paint. No fillers in this one though if that is important to you.

Essence is probably the one I would try first... just my two cents. Welcome back to the forum!

Accumulator
03-13-2017, 02:46 PM
Accumulator! I was hoping that you would chime in!

Heh heh, yeah, still here...and my in-laws are still in TN :D

I *much* prefer HD Polish myself, but the new formula (maybe they changed it, maybe they didn`t,but it is not the same) will not away like the old stuff...it marred upon removal...

Uh-oh, that sounds scary...good thing my bottle will last for ages (I hope).

I still have nightmares about that Yukon! :D It was such a nice truck though..I remember how nice it was..even underneath

Avoiding nightmares was probably one reason why I sold it! Did end up awfully nice though between your efforts and mine, and that undercarriage is what sold it (even after a few winters it was still that nice).

Setec Astronomy
03-14-2017, 10:40 AM
Natty is fine and living in NJ ..

Witness protection?

Merlin
03-14-2017, 12:24 PM
Welcome back :)

can`t help you with the products you have used, but Black Hole followed by a Liquid Natty`s is the least abrasive filling combo I can think of :bigups

PB Black Hole and Natty`s Black (great on black)...and for that added sparkle...a little PB liquid Red.
Yes, I did this at Poorboy`s shop. Steve (Poorboy) and I did it together. I think it came out awesome!
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc140/merlinhd03/Detail/2003%20HD%20Truck/2003-HD-Truck-PB-2.jpg
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc140/merlinhd03/Detail/2003%20HD%20Truck/2003-HD-Truck-PB-3.jpg
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc140/merlinhd03/Detail/2003%20HD%20Truck/2003-HD-Truck-PB-6.jpg
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc140/merlinhd03/Detail/2003%20HD%20Truck/2003-HD-Truck-PB-5.jpg

Lonnie
03-27-2017, 03:57 PM
^ What is a Merlin Shot (photo) without a reflected palm (or some Florida) tree in it!!

By the way, welcome back, EBPcivicsi! (Somehow, I remember you under a "different" name)