PDA

View Full Version : What do you put on FRESH Paint

Pages : [1] 2

mobiledynamics
03-08-2017, 07:19 PM
I threw out all my glazes a looong time ago.
Sold all the fancy nuba and only have 3-4 cans of Souveran on deck.

What would you use for fresh paint.
This is for a one time use sorta deal, meaning I don`t expect to LSP fresh paint beyond this for at least XYZ months.

I dunno. Should I order me up some OCW ?

:wall:wall:wall:wall
Just in Dec/Jan, I found a old bottle of RMG that I trashed.
LOL. Maybe I should stop being the simplifier and be the hoarder..

Ronkh
03-08-2017, 07:22 PM
OCW is about the only thing besides a straight glaze (as far as I know)

Poorboy
03-08-2017, 07:28 PM
how fresh and what kind of paint? who painted it and how was it painted .. ie booth .. heat?

The Guz
03-08-2017, 07:29 PM
This works quite well. Made to be fresh paint safe. Lasted surprisingly long. Used it for 3 months after a repaint.

Meguiars M305 Ultra Finishing Durable Glaze 16 oz. (http://www.autogeek.net/megiuars-m305-16.html)

OCW is another one you can use.

mobiledynamics
03-08-2017, 07:32 PM
not yet painted...but talking bodyshop painted, lutro booths, etc

Poorboy
03-08-2017, 07:36 PM
not yet painted...but talking bodyshop painted, lutro booths, etc

I would talk to the body shop and discuss what options you have in types paint and their curing times with his equipment

then decide what and if you wan to put anything on it .. is it a DD or garage queen?

mobiledynamics
03-08-2017, 07:48 PM
Bodyshop guy is one sweet smooth talker.....works great, etc. He`s just a fast talker.
I don`t think I`ll get a real official answer. Just a general X days as a wild guess....

I`ve always worked off 60 days as a general rule. DD
But we`re talking products that are just fresh paint safe.
Sorta like 3D polish is fresh paint polish safe...
Have you seen unknown variables with glazes, or nuba put onto fresh paint...

Poorboy
03-08-2017, 08:55 PM
Bodyshop guy is one sweet smooth talker.....works great, etc. He`s just a fast talker.
I don`t think I`ll get a real official answer. Just a general X days as a wild guess....

I`ve always worked off 60 days as a general rule. DD
But we`re talking products that are just fresh paint safe.
Sorta like 3D polish is fresh paint polish safe...
Have you seen unknown variables with glazes, or nuba put onto fresh paint...

lol .. most shop owners are .. imagine dealing with insurance companies every day ..

any decent polish without fillers , wax or silicone should be fine .. you can put a glaze on if you wish, but it won`t give you much protection ...

I`ve always gone with a non-abrasive polish and keep it as clean as possible while the paint is curing .. if you feel comfortable with 60 days .. then do 60 .. most good water-based paints really don`t need the extended time.. but better safe than sorry :)

Wknd Dtlr
03-08-2017, 09:44 PM
I just used M305 a few months ago on some resprayed panels. Worked reasonably well. Wish I`d known OCW was safe to use. Still have a half gallon of it left!

Accumulator
03-09-2017, 02:07 PM
Heh heh, I often have to educate bodyshop guys regarding the manufacturer`s info on the products they use...don`t get me wrong- I like/respect the guys I patronize, but I get the feeling that reading/incorporating the latest info isn`t always a top priority. OK, lets me feel all big-brain and all`s well that ends well...but I bet some places [do ill-advised stuff] out of ignorance before the customer ever sees the work. Anyhow...

I`d use OCW, which is tested/approved/recommended for use on "post-production paintwork" by Ford, whose testing was quite. Works fine IME, zero diffs in hardness (when the curing is finally done) compared to using a known-safe glaze. No, not saying the meguiar`s won`t work just as well, but AFAIK it`s never been tested by an independent authority.

Justins00ss
03-09-2017, 02:41 PM
It`s a bit pricey but 3D 505 correction glaze is fresh paint and body shop safe. It is pretty much the same as HD Speed.

itb76
03-09-2017, 07:02 PM
I`d use OCW, which is tested/approved/recommended for use on "post-production paintwork" by Ford, whose testing was quite. Works fine IME, zero diffs in hardness (when the curing is final.

Thanks for the info, I did not know this about OCW. I`ve done a little paint work in the garage and always have OCW around. I use Southern Polyurethanes` clear and their recommendation is 90 days before wax. It`s really hard to wait that long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Guz
03-09-2017, 08:14 PM
Heh heh, I often have to educate bodyshop guys regarding the manufacturer`s info on the products they use...don`t get me wrong- I like/respect the guys I patronize, but I get the feeling that reading/incorporating the latest info isn`t always a top priority. OK, lets me feel all big-brain and all`s well that ends well...but I bet some places [do ill-advised stuff] out of ignorance before the customer ever sees the work. Anyhow...

I`d use OCW, which is tested/approved/recommended for use on "post-production paintwork" by Ford, whose testing was quite. Works fine IME, zero diffs in hardness (when the curing is finally done) compared to using a known-safe glaze. No, not saying the meguiar`s won`t work just as well, but AFAIK it`s never been tested by an independent authority.

This independent tested M305 lol. Used it for 3 months after a repaint. Repaint done back in October 2016 and no issues till this day. It worked surprisingly well. I switched over to OCW as it was easier to apply.

Civicclutch
03-10-2017, 01:55 AM
ocw?

The Guz
03-10-2017, 02:57 AM
ocw?

Optimum Car Wax