PDA

View Full Version : Simple Green on wheels??

Pages : [1] 2

tsx2004
06-18-2006, 04:06 PM
Hi all,

I have an acura TSX 2004 car and usually i use simple green to clean the tires of my car. my questioin is can i use simple green to clean the wheels.

i plan to spray the simple green on the wheels and brush it with a meguiars wheel brush. Will spraying the wheels with simple green at full strength do any harm to the wheels? or would diluting the simple green (1/10 ratio) be better? 1 = simple green, 10 = water.

Also i dont know much about cars but i believe that my wheels are clear coated. well let me know. thank you all.

tsx2004

LikeaRock
06-18-2006, 05:03 PM
I use Simple Green on wheels/tires/wells all the time, I even use it 100% strength on 90% of the wheels I clean, I`ve never had a problem.

CalgaryDetail
06-18-2006, 05:18 PM
Simple green will work on the wheels. I know i used to use it until i switched to p21s. There are alot of nay sayers with simple green, saying its not great stuff but i have never had a problem. I wouldnt use it on paint but thats a given. Try the simple green, if it works and you like it stick with it and if not then try somthig else.

Mikeyc
06-18-2006, 06:47 PM
Simple green will work on the wheels. I know i used to use it until i switched to p21s. There are alot of nay sayers with simple green, saying its not great stuff but i have never had a problem. I wouldnt use it on paint but thats a given. Try the simple green, if it works and you like it stick with it and if not then try somthig else.
I`m a little confused about your statement. You say you would use Simple Green on wheels, but you would not use it on paint. However, most OEM wheels are clear coated and painted.

Personally, I would stay away from Simple Green in general. There are other cleaners which are just as effective. Plus Simple Green has been known to stain certain types of metals.

CARTfan
06-18-2006, 08:55 PM
I wouldn`t use Simple Green, especially if the wheels are polished aluminum and/or painted. I have seen SG stain lots of things. Use a designated wheel cleaner when the wheels are cool.

mgm2003
06-18-2006, 09:15 PM
I`m a little confused about your statement. You say you would use Simple Green on wheels, but you would not use it on paint. However, most OEM wheels are clear coated and painted.

Personally, I would stay away from Simple Green in general. There are other cleaners which are just as effective. Plus Simple Green has been known to stain certain types of metals.

Ditto. I`ve had staining issues in the past and stay away from SG on the wheels. If you have NASTY wheels, I don`t think you can go wrong with Meg`s wheel brightener. Just make sure they are cool, and try not to clean them in full sun.

TrueDetailer
06-18-2006, 09:37 PM
Its no worse then using wheel acid. But just like wheel acid, If you use it all the time your going to cause some damage.

You might want to try using something thats not so harsh.

Mikeyc
06-18-2006, 09:39 PM
Ditto. I`ve had staining issues in the past and stay away from SG on the wheels. If you have NASTY wheels, I don`t think you can go wrong with Meg`s wheel brightener. Just make sure they are cool, and try not to clean them in full sun.
Yup! Megs Wheel Brightener is an AWESOME product. Plus, you can buy it in a concentrated gallon. So, it`s at least as inexpensive as Simple Green. However, you can only use it on clear coated and chrome wheels. Wheel Brightener is acid based. So, using it on polished/uncoated wheels will cause flash oxidation.

As I stated in my earlier post most OEM wheels are clear coated or chromed. The only time I ever see polished/uncoated rims anymore is if they`re aftermarket or on occasion bought as a dealer option.

CalgaryDetail
06-18-2006, 10:27 PM

hey sorry what i ment was the pain on the car. I know most wheels are painted however i have found its a diffrent type and grade of paint. I never use an apc of any type on my cars paint. Sorry for the confusion..

so basicly what i ment was only use the apc on the wheels and engine and not anything else on the exterior

BLACKWRX
06-19-2006, 03:13 PM
i personally like using simple green , its biodegradeble (sp), very soapy and cleans very well with no side effects.....if its safe for the earth its safe for my car

Beemerboy
06-19-2006, 03:49 PM
i personally like using simple green , its biodegradeble (sp), very soapy and cleans very well with no side effects.....if its safe for the earth its safe for my car

If you are working on your own cars and its doing a great job...right on...however...I have used SG on some rims that its stained BIG TIME...clear coated or polsih aluminium rims its deadly on them will cloud the finish instantly....long term effects on some anodized rims it will eat threw the finish....its a pretty aggressive product for the most part, but diluted down it a good cleaner....I use it in the wheel wells for grease cutting and motor compartments once in a while..as a whole I think that its to aggressive for me and I have to really watch what I`m doing with it

sneek
06-19-2006, 04:26 PM
I wouln`t use SG on rims, it can stain metals and it doesn`t do as good as a job as a dedicated wheel cleaner

LikeaRock
06-20-2006, 05:41 PM
True, SG can stain wheels, but if you know which wheels you can`t use it on or dilute it a little bit more than you normally would. If I come across aluminum wheels or any wheel that looks as if anything other than soapy water isn`t safe than I just scrub them with soapy water and a variety of brushes for all the nooks/crannies. SG works great for me because it`s universal and it stands up to anything I throw at it

MrRogue
06-20-2006, 09:20 PM
I don`t see how wheel acid is any different or any better for wheels then simple green. I have used it in the past and never had any problems with it, but I have never used it full strength, as I had no need to so why waste the money.

Fishpimp
06-21-2006, 10:20 AM
Once when i was just a young lad. I decided to do something nice for my step dad. So i washed his car and sprayed simple green full strenghth on his 1994 Surpra Wheels. Surfice it to say he had etched white spots all over them and I got the azzzzz chewing of my life for trying to do something nice.

Simple Green and I have not been friends since. I won`t use simple green for anything! There are times when reading this site that I`m tempted to pick up a bottle but then again I just would rather not.

In this business/hobby it only takes one good time to mess thing up on the right car and your butt will pay a hefty price.