PDA

View Full Version : Storing Iron / Wheel Cleaners

mobiledynamics
02-26-2017, 04:52 PM
Where do you store you iron dissolving wheel cleaners.

I keep my stuff year round in the garage.
Was doing some organizing today, and at floor level, I could smell the stuff. Either it`s the sprayhead that`s giving off the smell but phew-ew. Not really noticable in the garage though....but if you got your face close to the bottle, you def. can pick up on it.

Hopefully I did not jinx it, but it would suck if a bottle broke for any odd reason...

Curious how do ya`ll store your thioglycolate based cleaners..

rlmccarty2000
02-26-2017, 07:56 PM
I put my Iron-X paste in sealed bags because even without opening it reeks. Unfortunately I`m in the same boat as you with my other gallons, just putting up with the stench. All of its in my garage and you can tell it`s in there and unopened. They came smelling bad from Autopia. They were not leaking, but I think somewhere down the line someone spilled some on the bottles. I wonder if the Autopia warehouse smells like a skunk breeding ground?

Paul@Autopia
02-27-2017, 11:46 AM
I put my Iron-X paste in sealed bags because even without opening it reeks. Unfortunately I`m in the same boat as you with my other gallons, just putting up with the stench. All of its in my garage and you can tell it`s in there and unopened. They came smelling bad from Autopia. They were not leaking, but I think somewhere down the line someone spilled some on the bottles. I wonder if the Autopia warehouse smells like a skunk breeding ground?

Iron x isle always has a slight stench to it haha. I have a 5l container of iron x and sonax wheel cleaner and I keep both of them inside of 2 black trash bags, tied up when I`m not refilling them, then the bottle I use to spray goes inside of another bag when I`m not using.

trashmanssd
02-27-2017, 12:04 PM
I had my Ironx spill in side the cabinet on the shelf its stored on out of the spray head because I left it in the sprayer on position (wont do that again). I think I am going to look for a storage container deep enough yet small enough it can hold 4 32oz spray bottles standing up and they wont flop around, so the have almost triple containment (bottle, container, cabinet). I have even gotten some on my shoes walking through the run off from the car while doing decon wash and had it stink out my whole mud room area.

Angus
02-27-2017, 12:10 PM
I keep everything stored inside 30qt Sterilite latch boxes down in my basement:

http://i.imgur.com/kUpFzNzl.jpg

95% of detailing bottles fit perfectly inside w/ room to close the lid. Nice way to keep supplies organized while minimizing iron-x type odors. Plus the clear plastic allows me to quickly see what`s inside w/o opening each box.

I`m sure your local Target has a selection of them in stock.

mobiledynamics
02-27-2017, 12:11 PM
I dunno if you would want to keep it in a double tomb ...I would think there is some slight benefit to possibly letting the air permeate and diffuse it ?

I don`t plan logistically how I try to no step into the rinse solution, when I`m using this on wheels.
It`s on my radar but not...since it`s just wheels..

But yes, indeed, if I`m doing it on panels, I will haul the hose out to the street, and do application/rinse streetside.
There is some foresight/planning involved on the rinse technique to minimize the stench/water on the hose.

rlmccarty2000
02-27-2017, 07:24 PM
Keeping the Iron-X type products in an airtight enclosure would stop the immediate problem of stink, but I imagine opening their container would be quite a shock to the olfactory senses. Phew.

Migue
02-27-2017, 10:10 PM
this happens to me with Carpro Trix and especially since the sprayer head is all gunky and it sprays all sideways when I use it, so it gets everywhere.

Oneheadlite
03-01-2017, 10:14 PM
I used to store them in a gallon ziploc with the sprayer still installed. Then after having a coworker knock the bag over under a chair in the locker room at work (my god it smelled like something died in there...), I`ve taken to removing the sprayer and reinstalling the shipping cap. Flush the sprayer out with water, and it all goes in a gallon ziplock.

mobiledynamics
03-02-2017, 11:15 AM
I generally just approximate and pour enough I need into a 16oz bottle. The bulk stays on with cap. Sometimes I`ll use it all up, sometimes I have some left over. I just close the nozzle on the ~applicator~ spray bottle when not in use. Don`t see myself ever flushing it out though. I do give the bottle a quick external rinse. Maybe I`m just compounding the problems as not the rinse overspray on the nozzle tip might me getting onto the problem. Like the product....but like many, just hate the .##@#. Unfortunately, the smell is just due to the active ingredient we like so much in it...

Tc99m
03-02-2017, 12:16 PM
I simply use a 5gallon bucket from Home Depot or Lowes and their Leacktite (gamma style lids). Good tight seal even if the bucket is tipped over, the contents won`t leak out.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/145/65/65e07a7c-0f4d-43ac-bb90-bd0f25f02845_145.jpg http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/145/6a/6ad09751-e8ff-4a72-a1fd-68dd7d799a22_145.jpg