PDA

View Full Version : Restoring old vinyl decals

Sleeper-6
02-21-2017, 11:57 AM
I have a unique situation that hopefully some of you have tackled successfully. While not exactly car related the process should be about the same. I have an old tractor I`m working on and the decal that covers the dash. The machine is about 40 years old and I assume it`s a vinyl decal. It`s solid, not cracked or peeling, just looking a bit faded and dull. It looks great when its wet, so that gives me hope.

Has anyone had any success with something like this?

Poorboy
02-21-2017, 12:04 PM
I`ve used Polish w/ Carnauba on many RV decals ... remember that the vinyl may have just lost it after 40 years

Mike lambert
02-21-2017, 05:57 PM
2 suggestions, Griot`s plastic polish. Non abrasive and full of oils. Meguiars #7 nothing but oils .both I would think would help " moisturizer" it?

LashingStanley
02-22-2017, 02:25 AM
optimum poli-seal/GPS. From my experience these are pretty much the exact same product. They can be used on vinyl and plastics plus contains mild abrasives that seem to clean really well. I`ve used them to restore vinyl decals and even restore heavily sun faded oxidized trim on a Jeep Wranglers porous plastic fender flares. The biggest thing when polishing plastic or vinyl surfaces is making sure you maintain low speeds because heat is more likely to cause more damage than the poli-seal/gps will.

dschribs
02-22-2017, 08:59 AM
I`ve never used it but...

McKees RV Vinyl Decal and Graphic Restorer (http://www.mckees37.com/rv-vinyl-decal-graphic-restorer.html?utm_source=rv-vinyl-decal-graphic-restorer&utm_medium=shopping%2Bengine&utm_campaign=googleproducts&gclid=CjwKEAiAirXFBRCQyvL279Tnx1ESJAB-G-Qvy-4fIvWd2H7JwDsSHLK22TCDuN_XDgYA2yg4kvMqvBoCyRDw_wcB #)

Sleeper-6
04-18-2017, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the tips. Too much stuff in the way to get a machine in there, so I`ll be working by hand. I have some #7 on hand, so I`ll give that a shot first. I have learned that it is pure magic on old dry single stage paint. The McKees sounds like the ideal solution if the #7 doesn`t do the trick. I`m think if I can get it looking decent, I can use the poli-seal / GPS to seal it up.