PDA

View Full Version : Silver Plated Trumpet

adc100
02-17-2017, 10:23 AM
Just acquired it. It is a 1981 model. Silver is getting a bit thin. I have polished it with Wrights Silver polish which is acknowledged low in abrasives and a good product. I followed it up with Gold Class Carnauba Plus. According to Meguiar`s it is non abrasive and should not remove silver. Well they are wrong...it does. I can see it on the waxing pad.

I think I need to use PURE Canauba..no cleaners, no "protecting polymers"

Suggestions? Can you suggest a product?
Thanks.

ViperGuy21
02-17-2017, 10:37 AM
Natty`s paste waxes are awesome!

Souveran if you want to go all out

GearHead_1
02-17-2017, 10:38 AM
I know nothing about this and I`m sure it wouldn`t be cheap but I suspect you could have it replated. Then put some protection on it.

Nutbread
02-17-2017, 10:38 AM
Mothers California Gold Pure Carnauba is a good one.
Paste Mothers California Gold Pure Carnauba Paste Wax (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/mothers-california-gold-pure-carnauba-paste-wax.html#.WKcX6Z1tmuU)
Or liquid Mothers California Gold Pure Carnauba Wax Liquid (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/california-gold-pure-carnauba-wax-liquid-.html#.WKcYvZ1tmuU)

RaysWay
02-17-2017, 12:19 PM
Nice! I used an 83 model Strad when I played back in the day. I always say I`m going to buy a trumpet again....it`s on the list I guess :).

I would check with the manufacturer, I think Bach has a silver polish with an included suede towel. I`m sure you probably know this, but replating will change the tone and feel of the horn.

Good to see that piece of art being cared for.

adc100
02-17-2017, 12:43 PM
Nice! I used an 83 model Strad when I played back in the day. I always say I`m going to buy a trumpet again....it`s on the list I guess :).

I would check with the manufacturer, I think Bach has a silver polish with an included suede towel. I`m sure you probably know this, but replating will change the tone and feel of the horn.

Good to see that piece of art being cared for.
I do have a Bach Cloth. I will check on the polish. Sounds like Mothers Pure Carnauba is the way to go. Thanks

BTW I stopped playing 50 years ago. And when my 9 y.o. Granddaughter started playing, I cleaned and refurbished my 1955 Conn Cornet. One thing led to another and I am now playing a Strad 39. Best thing I have done in years. I would urge you to go buy one and start again!!!

Accumulator
02-17-2017, 01:27 PM
adc100- Huh, I never waxed mine, and for some reason I sorta liked the patinated look where my old Schilke was worn. I dunno...I`d probably use a synthetic instead of a carnauba. Gee, I haven`t played since the `70s...

adc100
02-17-2017, 04:02 PM
adc100- Huh, I never waxed mine, and for some reason I sorta liked the patinated look where my old Schilke was worn. I dunno...I`d probably use a synthetic instead of a carnauba. Gee, I haven`t played since the `70s...
Yea..I just can`t let that happen to this thing...lol.
http://www.subaruforester.org/gallery/images/10491/large/1_IMG_0159.JPG

Mr. Slick
02-17-2017, 04:21 PM
Yeah gold class has some abrasives in it. You can tell because if you do single stage paint you`ll get that color on the pad. I`d get some real wax like Wolfgang, pinnacle or Swissvax.

Accumulator
02-18-2017, 01:54 PM
adc100- IO don`t blame you for wanting to keep that really nice. Even as a kid I was just *weird* with regard to "patina" :o

Mr. Slick- Yeah, it always surprises me when somebody thinks GS is nonabrasive, but I seldom say anything as, hey who knows...they might`ve changed it.

I myself would FK1000P such stuff. I`d want something that`ll hold up well against acidic hand-sweat. Much as I can appreciate Beauty Waxes, if something won`t protect a car`s clearcoat against bird-bombs then I wouldn`t expect it to work well for this either.

adc100
02-18-2017, 06:15 PM
Ticks me off bc I called Meguiar`s and told them exactly what I planned on using it for. They assured me there were no abrasives in it. I plan on getting back to them. I normally don`t do these things. But I bought the product based on this conservation. ^_^