PDA

View Full Version : Solution Finish - Window Rubber

dschribs
02-15-2017, 09:05 AM
Wondering if anyone has tried this on rubber window trim.

The rubber trim at the base of the windows on my TA always looks like crap no matter what I try (303, PERL, A All, Optimum Protectant).

I`m thinking I might give this a try....

Paul@Autopia
02-15-2017, 09:38 AM
Wondering if anyone has tried this on rubber window trim.

The rubber trim at the base of the windows on my TA always looks like crap no matter what I try (303, PERL, A All, Optimum Protectant).

I`m thinking I might give this a try....

I`ve had good success with it on the trim on my Mazda and had the same issue before with it always looking faded, not anymore!

dontlikemyname
02-15-2017, 09:46 AM
I typically use and love Chemical Guys VRP. It looks great, isn`t greasy, and last about 2 weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dschribs
02-15-2017, 10:21 AM
I`ve had good success with it on the trim on my Mazda and had the same issue before with it always looking faded, not anymore!

Thanks!! Just ordered it from Auotpia!

Civicclutch
02-15-2017, 10:24 AM
I typically use and love Chemical Guys VRP. It looks great, isn`t greasy, and last about 2 weeks

The great thing about solution finish is that it`s not greasy, but still gotta be careful, and it lasts much longer than 2 weeks. But that is my own two cents worth.

dschribs
02-15-2017, 10:54 AM
The great thing about solution finish is that it`s not greasy, but still gotta be careful, and it lasts much longer than 2 weeks. But that is my own two cents worth.

Do you tape off the paint near where you applying the product or no?

rlmccarty2000
02-15-2017, 11:04 AM
It depends on how far gone the window rubber is. I used it on my 2001 Mazda B3000 that had really bad window rubber and saw very little improvement (of course some is better than none). Follow the instructions and wipe off any residue. No need to tape as SF will come off of paint easily unless you leave it on a long time, then you need a little IPA to get it off paint.

Paul@Autopia
02-15-2017, 11:38 AM
Tape isn`t necessary and I usually don`t bother, any parts I get on paint I wipe off with a towel that`s damp with some IPA after the product has dried onto the plastic/rubber.

The Guz
02-15-2017, 11:51 AM
Have you tried cleaning the trim with an all purpose cleaner? The rubber below the windows gets dirty fast. I gave mine a good cleaning and then used Gtechniq C4 on it.

Accumulator
02-15-2017, 12:09 PM
Why not just use a "no-white-stains" LSP-based approach on it? That`s all I do to *any* of my exterior trim/seals/etc. and it works perfectly for me, couldn`t improve upon it in any conceivable way.

dontlikemyname
02-15-2017, 12:17 PM
Do you tape off the paint near where you applying the product or no?

Nope. Buy some of the small sponge paint brushes that have the angled tip from a hardware store and they work great for small details.

Civicclutch
02-15-2017, 12:38 PM
Also for cleaning the rubber I started to use tuff shine tire cleaner and a soft tooth brush due to width of seals before I wash car after rinsing and it has been doing amazing wonders. Generally once is more than enough but occasionally a second time is needed

mobiledynamics
02-15-2017, 01:58 PM
dschribs -

Just fwiw, get the small bottle....a little goes A LONG way with this product.

rlmccarty2000
02-15-2017, 10:32 PM
And make darn sure you wear gloves. It will stain them good.