PDA

View Full Version : Cquartz UK...because, well, why not?

BudgetPlan1
02-06-2017, 11:14 AM
Picked out my next `victim` to keep me entertained during the winter when I can`t do anything at home. 2016 Ford Transit, bright red...only 24K relatively easy miles.
http://www.autopia.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32921&stc=1

Since I snatched up some CQuartz UK at 25% off last week, figr`d I would give it a try on this, probably get the warehouse up to 55 degrees F to apply/cure. Have seen that the UK is supposedly good down to 41 degrees F and I guess we`ll find out. Paint is in pretty good nick, thinking Rupes 15 Mk II, (and Mini) yellow/white Rupes pads and some WG TSR or FG glaze (which I`d like to use up) will be sufficient to prep before coating.

Regarding the CQuartz UK application:

1. Anything (i.e. peculiarities specific to this product) to watch for? Pretty sure at this 50-55 degree temp it`s gonna have to sit a few minutes after application before wiping off (according to what I`ve been able to find regarding it`s application).

2. With all that black plastic trim, will the Cquartz UK go over that nicely like some other coatings or does CQuartz UK not like that kinda stuff? Not wanting to buy something like DLUX as it`s not that important. If Cquartz does not play well with black plastic trim will likely just use up some BLACKFIRE All-In-One Trim & Tire Protectant instead.

3. As the paint is relatively good and will likely just require a polish with the WG twins (one or the other) I actually thought about giving Essence a try as a polish. Had it in my cart, but FOR ONCE I did not hit the `BUY` button on a detailing product just to see how it works. I thought I read somewhere that if you plan to *NOT* coat the vehicle in 12hrs or so, would require a panel wipe (Eraser, Gyeon Prep, etc.) go-over and extra curing time for the Essence before coating. Can`t seem to find that post anywhere now and I`ll probably do the machine work on this over the course of 4 days or so before getting to the coating process. I`m guessing I can sub GYeon Prep and/or WG Perfect Finish Paint Prep for Eraser as I have a bunch of those two things.

As for coatings, have used WG Uber Ceramic, McKees Paint Coating and Kamikaze Miyabi & ISM before so not new to the coating thing but have never used CQuartz before so hopefully won`t present any `new` peculiarities.

Lotta surface area on this thing...hopefully the `ol Rupes makes somewhat short work of it.

JBM
02-06-2017, 11:56 AM
I like using the UK when its cool out.

Marine Clerk
02-06-2017, 12:53 PM
Used the Flex 3401 with the White LC Hybrid Pad and Menzerna FG 400

Followed up with the Green LC Flat pad and 3D HD plus homemade CarPro eraser.

Finished up with CQuartz UK on a couple of panels of the Landcruiser.

Came out Great!