PDA

View Full Version : Black Hole with Carnauba

Pages : [1] 2

WaxAddict
01-20-2017, 02:26 PM
OK.. before you get excited (Ron), this is a home-brew project. I know from experience that this isn`t a big home-brew crowd, but I`d like to share my latest creation with those interested.

So when I`ve made car waxes in the past, the solvent has always given me fits. I get worked op thinking it`s too strong (turpentine) or too oily (orange oil). More times than not, the solvent just isn`t "right".

Yeah, DoDo Juice has released a solvent to the public just for home-brewers like me. How cool is that? Meh. I want to do *some* work on my own. So I`ve never bought the solvent from them, although I probably will.

I like the idea of waxes with mild cleaning. I mean, why not? I also like mild fillers. Why not? What do I have to prove? Sure my Z is immaculate, and your Scangrip won`t find any swirls on her, but still, if fillers hide a few towel marks, what`s the harm?

So when I made this last wax, I wanted fillers, but I had no idea how to do it. So why not add glaze to my wax? I`ve used Poorboy`s Black Hole and Natty`s Blue at the same time, with great results. So there I went.

As I experimented, I found that the Black Hole had a solvent and emulsifier effect in my wax. Bonus! Could Black Hole serve as my filler and the solvent? Not exclusively, but it helped. Granted, I can`t attest to what happens to Black Hole once it "melts". Maybe it`s filling properties are destroyed?

The first wax was useless, but it LOOKED beautiful, with a nice light-purple glistening sheen. I knew I was on to something. The result was like a rock, but it still wanted to transfer to the applicator - this told me it could work.

So another OEM was added. This time, a splash of solvent from my bottle of Collinite 845. You know how 845 separates? Those solvents can be drained off. The addition of the 845 solvent felt a bit like giving up, but I wanted to use this wax. I made another batch, which simply contained the 845 solvent, and larger amounts of my other ingredients:

Coconut Oil
Sweet Almond Oil
Real Lemon Oil
Aloe Vera jelly
T1 Brazilian Carnauba flakes
Bee`s Wax
Poorboy`s Black Hole

Here`s a picture of the ingredients:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Utilitarian/i-D7twrDg/0/L/ingredients-L.jpg

And here`s the finished wax:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Utilitarian/i-G2jvMrS/0/XL/final-XL.jpg

Well, the results surprised me. My internal, "in my head" code name for this wax is "Oily But Worth It". Although it`s too oily for consumer user, it`s still a winner. I`m going to work on a less oily version, which may include simply leaving out the Aloe Vera and using more Carnauba. From experience, I know that you can`t just take out some of the oil and suddenly you have a perfect wax. I mean you *could", but it would take 20 tries to get it right.

If you read all the text, god bless you. What a trooper. Anyway, pictures in action coming soon!

Ronkh
01-20-2017, 02:28 PM
Coolness!!

Need pics on what it looks like on vehicle.

512detail
01-20-2017, 02:37 PM
that is awesome!

I wouldn`t know where to start with something like that.

You should scratch a cd or something and see if it lost the filling from black hole or not.

Poorboy
01-20-2017, 03:04 PM
So when I made this last wax, I wanted fillers, but I had no idea how to do it. So why not add glaze to my wax? I`ve used Poorboy`s Black Hole and Natty`s Blue at the same time, with great results. So there I went.

You could have just asked and we could make it ;)

512detail
01-20-2017, 03:30 PM

PWC-black hole

Poorboy
01-20-2017, 03:54 PM
PWC=black hole

no not really ... that is a polish

he`s making a wax with fillers

512detail
01-20-2017, 04:15 PM
no not really ... that is a polish

he`s making a wax with fillers

well then how about all the shine of nattys blue, the depth of nattys black and the filling of black hole with some of the sealant from exp while we`re at it... and definitely bubble gum flavor

Civicclutch
01-20-2017, 04:19 PM

But that would`ve taken the fun out of it for him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Civicclutch
01-20-2017, 04:22 PM
well then how about all the shine of nattys blue, the depth of nattys black and the filling of black hole with some of the sealant from exp while we`re at it... and definitely bubble gum flavor

Why so you can eat it while applying it lol

512detail
01-20-2017, 04:27 PM
Why so you can eat it while applying it lol

I just like that scent...I`ve been spreading nattys blue on my drivers side door about once a week for over a month, lol...that jar just sits by my driver side door (still haven`t gotten around to polishing that door out so I keep filling and filling)

Civicclutch
01-20-2017, 04:28 PM
I just like that scent...I`ve been spreading nattys blue on my drivers side door about once a week for over a month, lol...that jar just sits by my driver side door (still haven`t gotten around to polishing that door out so I keep filling and filling)

You have a nano right

JustJesus
01-20-2017, 04:30 PM
WaxAddict That is very cool. I did read the text. Fun read. I can appreciate a good home brew. I`ve always wanted to try, and even considered the home brew kit from Dodo.

I actually very recently picked up a jar of Chockwork Orange! Admittedly, I only really got it for the label design and the play on words :ph34r: (In my defense, I waited a very, very long time for it to be on sale. Then waited for another sale to use a sale on top of a sale)

I wouldn`t know where to start with something like that.

There are a few threads out there. And Dodo Juice has their home brew kit. A few articles I found online some time back, and they`re probably still out there.
Back in 2014/2015 I was looking into it myself. Eventually, i said "screw it" and was looking for someone to make me my own. What a nerd. I ended up communicating with someone and did have a small batch made. I`ve only JUST now started to check for durability. Beeds are pretty good, though. Nice scent.

WHAT? If I had known, and if I would have known [more ??] about Poorboy`s at the time, that likely would have been my first call.
(You`ll be getting a call from me for this in a year or two)

512detail
01-20-2017, 04:35 PM
You have a nano right

yes but my will to polish that door and fender out are nano sized at this moment

I`m still waiting for my cosmic v2 kit to come in

512detail
01-20-2017, 04:36 PM
to the OP how about some application pics? If I brewed my own wax I`d test it on my larger die cast mopar model cars

JSFM35X
01-20-2017, 04:43 PM
Can we call it carnuba hole

Or

C-Hole ?

Not much of a home brew guy. The guys who make this stuff have PHds and I don`t. Plus I hate to cook.

Good Lucy if your having fun keep on keeping on. I have made some stuff around the house that`s not as good as store bought cost more to make but I had fun doing it. Like building my shed. Cost was like double what a store Bought one was by the time I was done but I had fun and it`s exactly how I wanted it, so I can get your reasons.

Btw. Next time I`m buying the shed lol