PDA

View Full Version : Clay melted on MF towels - how to get it off?

Pages : [1] 2

lloydrm
01-18-2017, 09:09 AM
I was on a rush and did not put away properly the clay left over. Then all the gear was left in the car under warm conditions. The clay melted out of the wrapper and onto a couple brand new towels. Any tricks for removing it?

jrock645
01-18-2017, 09:10 AM
I doubt it... sounds like you`ll need to toss those towels

Ronkh
01-18-2017, 09:16 AM
Garbage

Angus
01-18-2017, 09:25 AM
Sorry, tossing them may be your only option. Any photos?

512detail
01-18-2017, 09:29 AM
yup...you`re gonna have to Ron those towels (I`m trying to get that term to catch on here- lol)

but for legitimate reason

I had that problem once in the past and it`s a waste of time. Just toss it and try not to let it happen again is my advice

kevincwelch
01-18-2017, 09:37 AM
I wouldn`t toss them. I think they`re probably useless for paint, but you might consider cutting out the sections with the melted clay (if that`s possible) and preserve as much of the towel as possible. Use them for the undercarriage or other areas that get towels typically very dirty or use them for other single purposes before you toss them.

lloydrm
01-18-2017, 09:53 AM
Thanks gents. These will make great rags once I cut out the clay.

512detail
01-18-2017, 09:59 AM
I wouldn`t toss them. I think they`re probably useless for paint, but you might consider cutting out the sections with the melted clay (if that`s possible) and preserve as much of the towel as possible. Use them for the undercarriage or other areas that get towels typically very dirty or use them for other single purposes before you toss them.

yes a voice of reason..that`s another option, to repurpose them indeed

I guess i`m more wasteful than others, lol

The Driver
01-18-2017, 10:02 AM
Well, there is one way.

Chemical guys citrus wash n gloss breakes down clay, soak it in a bucket and then try pulling it out peice by peice. Another more extreme way is to spray it with a tar remover, that really breaks down clay instantly. If they were cheap towels I would just chuck em or make some hybrid wheel cloth. (It`s not a bad idea, drys and clays bad wheels instantly!)

kevincwelch
01-18-2017, 10:28 AM
yes a voice of reason..that`s another option, to repurpose them indeed

I guess i`m more wasteful than others, lol
Occasionally the environmentalist comes out in me. (Now excuse me while I go do a wash load with three mf towels!)

pheerix
01-18-2017, 10:53 AM
Use them as clay-towels see what I did there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raymoche
01-18-2017, 11:29 AM
I would use it to... probably clean really dirty stuff like engine bay...

Unless those towels are ultra expensive, just re-purpose them for really dirty and no worries surfaces... I wouldn`t spend the time cleaning it out... even if it was a 15 dollar towel.

Just remember the clay bits might pick up dirt and rub it back into your wheels and scratch their finish (if you care about that...) so I would say maybe to clean wheel well or engine bay... or any surface you wont mind some marring and swirls.

Accumulator
01-18-2017, 11:33 AM
As stated, they`re best relegated to non-critical use at this point, but some APCs dissolve clay quite well and stuff like ValuGard`s "A" will *really* do that. Ditto for many solvents.

Poorboy
01-18-2017, 12:09 PM
Try boiling a pot of boiling water (pot you don`t need anymore) ..when the water comes to a rapid boil, use tong and dunk the towels in and out (might also want to spray some MF cleaner before hand) ... this should release the clay from the towel ... DO NOT just throw it in the pot as the nylon in mf can melt ;) Good luck :)

lloydrm
01-18-2017, 01:32 PM
Great advise everyone. These aren`t high-end towels but still ... I try to avoid waste as much as possible.
Will try one or two of your suggestions and if that doesn`t work I will proceed with scissors.
Thanks.